AT-205 Re-Seal for 1968 VW Bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you try AT-205 Re-Seal in a 1968 VW bus for a few-drips-a-day leak? It is supposed to be safe for all rubber seals as it is 100% diethylene glycol monoethyl ether (Carbitol solvent) which is a plasticizer. I've read a lot of positive reviews about how it's actually not snake oil, but I was hesitant to use it in such an old engine. As far as I know, they could be the original seals.

I would not use it on this engine. This is the nature of the best, split cases, pushrod tubes, etc, they drip a little after years. You may end up turning a nuisance into a full blow PITA.
This is a simple engine to remove and overhaul wait till then to update the seals, o rings and gaskets to more modern materials. You can swap pushrod seals easy enough with updated tubes if that is what is leaking, a crank leak is more likely.

Before I did my valve covers I tried it. Within 10mins of adding it I got a CEL. low oil pressure, it apparently thinned out the oil too much. The stuff pours like water. I immediately changed out the oil, which sucked because I had less than 500 miles on fresh oil, and the CEL/DTC went away.

Does it work, maybe for some. But for me it was a costly no-go when you include the price of the product and new oil/filter. That's when I just decided to do it right and do the valve covers. I was already beginning to get some oil drips on my alternator and I didn't want to kill that too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Before I did my valve covers I tried it. Within 10mins of adding it I got a CEL. low oil pressure, it apparently thinned out the oil too much. The stuff pours like water. I immediately changed out the oil, which sucked because I had less than 500 miles on fresh oil, and the CEL/DTC went away.

Does it work, maybe for some. But for me it was a costly no-go when you include the price of the product and new oil/filter. That's when I just decided to do it right and do the valve covers. I was already beginning to get some oil drips on my alternator and I didn't want to kill that too...

Your air-cooled VW had a CEL?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Are you purposely being obtuse or is that a serious question?

In case you missed it, the OP said he's read a lot of positive reviews on the product. So I'm offering up my experience with the product - nothing more, nothing less. I even stated the product may indeed work for some but for me it didn't. And if I were seeking strictly the opinions of 68 VW Bus owners about the product, I'd post the question in a VW owners group or I'd at least state that in my post.

And while I don't have a '68 Bus, I think it's totally relevant to the discussion the effect the product had on my oil. Had I read a testimonial like that prior to purchasing the product, I probably wouldn't have. It was as I stated, a costly mistake.

Last edited:
The point I'm trying to make is that your experience is largely irrelevant to the OP's engine, unless you used it in a similar engine with a similar assembly method and seal type.

Further, that it thinned your oil to the point that you got a low pressure light suggests that you may have been using an oil that was too thin to begin with or than your engine is worn and would benefit from a thicker oil. Because you drained the 205 out so quickly, you're also rather unable to comment on how well it works to slow a leak, which was the OP's inquiry.

I asked the OP where it was leaking from, because only then can I even begin to speculate on the seal material he hopes to affect with 205. As Trav said, there's not a whole lot you can do to stop leaks on an old air-cooled besides pull it down and re-seal it.

Further, that it thinned your oil to the point that you got a low pressure light suggests that you may have been using an oil that was too thin to begin with or than your engine is worn and would benefit from a thicker oil.

The product alters the oil properties, not the engine or assembly method. Employing your logic, nobody should ever solicit feedback on how a fluid additive performs in someone else's car unless they're identical.engines.🤣 (there goes half the posts in this forum)

Wrong again...5w30 every time, all the time per mfgs spec. And I never have had that happen before nor has it ever happened again in the 15k+ miles driven on 5w30 since. The oil pressure is just fine in my car but hey, maybe you know something about my car that I don't.

In any event OP, take my ANECDOTAL experience (oil thinning) for whatever it's worth. I'm sure everything will work out for ya...

Fwiw, I'm not intrinsically opposed to stop leaks; I've used them on other cars I've owed with varying success, like on my 1990 Camry. It kept that car on the road until 2yrs ago when I sold it with over 300k miles on it. One of the best engines Toyota ever made.

Last edited:

In case you missed it, the OP said he's read a lot of positive reviews on the product. So I'm offering up my experience with the product - nothing more, nothing less. I even stated the product may indeed work for some but for me it didn't. And if I were seeking strictly the opinions of 68 VW Bus owners about the product, I'd post the question in a VW owners group or I'd at least state that in my post.

And while I don't have a '68 Bus, I think it's totally relevant to the discussion the effect the product had on my oil. Had I read a testimonial like that prior to purchasing the product, I probably wouldn't have. It was as I stated, a costly mistake.

I did not think such a small ammount of liquid could actually change the viscosity of the host oil enough to trigger a low pressure situation.

I dont think the ATP caused your CEL.

Originally Posted by nicholas

I did not think such a small ammount of liquid could actually change the viscosity of the host oil enough to trigger a low pressure situation.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Agreed.

I also agree.

More likely the strong solvent loosened or liquefied a piece of whatever muck was in the screen and it end up in the oil pressure sending unit hole temporarily giving a false low reading.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back