Astro, What Do You Make Of This ??

In my area, where there are 2.5 million people in one county, I've have rarely seen many "bare shelves". Even AA extra large eggs are never out and still only $1.79/dozen. Ptetty much everything has increased in price (what hasn't?), but still lots of things are even on sale quite often where I shop. Just because stuff isn't available where someone is located doesn't mean it's that way across the entire country.

We both live in the same region but my experience has been different. We do most of our shopping at Fred Meyer. A couple of weeks ago the bakery section was almost empty. No bread, no pastries. I have never seen that before. A employee said it was supply chain issues. Produce is always spotty. Meats are not stocked full like they used to be. OTC medicines can be spotty. Eggs have not been a problem though.

It’s a hit and miss thing. Obviously the baby formula is short and certain cereals have empty shelves.

On top of it all there is the theft problem. The low stock of meats might be because of that. Higher priced clothing is all locked up now.

So the shortages are there

If more people would just stay home this wouldn't be a problem.
Or take a bus or train.
There that's solved.
Ain't got time for that! If I'm taking days off from work I'm sure as heck not wasting time driving anywhere even remotely far. Although, I've been in Paris with the family for a week and I'm taking the train to London tomorrow - that was just the easiest and best choice.

I forgot to mention cereals. Lots of empty shelves around here as well regarding those. Never have seen that before ANYWHERE.
Clearly, the fault of pilots… I’m certain Bill O’Reilly will report that nugget of truth… 🤦‍♂️

And yet, with a bit of coaching from the right seat, you handled a 767-400 just fine! 😉
Flying the 767-400 was a great experience - thank you Astro! It's complex and and much more airplane than I'm used to flying, like a Cessna 172. However, it flies just like an airplane and is very light on the controls. The stabilized approach is so stable you can almost sit back and watch it fly, even without the autopilot. The automation is completely amazing, what a great workload reducer. I'm not sure how many horsepower the thrust equates to, but I can assure you the power is astounding. We took off at around 460,000 lbs and I still had to be prompted to "bring the nose up higher", I think we climbed out at around 20° deck angle. When you are used to flying single engine piston airplanes, you die at 20° nose up on takeoff. I did five nice landings, they were easy as in no turbulence, cross wind, engine outs, etc, it lands just like an airplane, just don't flare or you'll have a tail strike.

Last edited:
Astro, do you know if this program is attracting a lot of interest? It’s a excellent opportunity.
I’ve heard that the classes are full.

It represents a major shift in how major US airlines hire pilots.

Prospective pilots used to get their flight experience and then, perhaps, apply to a major, if they were hiring. Totally self-funded (via loans, parents, or military service) and without any certainty of a job.

Now, flight training and a clear pathway is provided, ab initio (from the beginning). Granted, still have to pay your way, but financing is made available and the path, and opportunity, is clearly defined.

Wayne - the flare is a very different thing - a 3 degree change in flight path (from approach to landing) requires about a 3 degree change in pitch. It’s nowhere near as dramatic as a near-stall flare and touchdown in single engine airplanes. The big ones are more “flown on” than near stalled and landed.

Big brakes, spoilers, and reverse thrust take care of dissipating the energy after landing.

Zero flight time required.

An initio training, just like the military.

More here: https://unitedaviate.com/
And I did see an Aviate-branded plane on near the ramp at EWR this week. I was heading back to SFO.

On an unrelated note, flew United for the first time in 25 years. Despite flying coach, went without a hitch and got on board a 77W. I did spring for the lounge at the airport and I’m impressed, though I saw the front desk staff get berated by a upset passenger who wasn’t able to access the United Club - it was packed. I think I’ll have my flying allegiances to WN and UA now.

Reactions: GON
OK…

So the pilot shortage was created by a shop, steered by an incompetent family, that hit an iceberg!?!?
Never said that, it's just a basic overview in analogous terms of how we've all got here. Here's another analogy - there are many many factors that have thrown wrenches in about everything associated with the monstrous economic machine made up of millions of gears that all mesh together, and when major sized wrenches start jambing a lot of gears in the system the machine starts smoking, locking up and breaking down.

The pilot shortage combined with a pretty sudden huge demand for air travel has caused the air travel gear train some major problems as pointed out in this thread. The only way to fix the economic machine is to fix the many broken gear trains, or build alterative gear trains. That's where the economic machine is right now. And it's going to take a lot more fixing before the air travel or any other messed up gear train will run smooth again.

Last edited:
Never said that, it's just a basic overview in analogous terms of how we've all got here. Here's another analogy - there are many many factors that have thrown wrenches in about everything associated with the monstrous economic machine made up of millions of gears that all mess together, and when wrenches start jambing a lot of gears in the system the machine starts smoking, locking up and breaking down.

The pilot shortage combined with a pretty sudden huge demand for air travel has caused the air travel gear train some major problems as pointed out in this thread. The only way to fix the economic machine is to fix the many broken gear trains, or build alterative gear trains. That's were the economic machine is right now. And it's going to take a lot more fixing before the pilot shortage or any other messed up gear train to run smooth again.
It was sarcasm, directed at how far off topic we’ve wandered.

Keep this thread about the pilot shortage, and we’re good.

A pilot shortage which has been decades in the making, known about for decades, and ignored by nearly everyone, until their flight was impacted. It has little to do with the other economic factors you’re discussing.

It was a threat on the horizon decades ago. Now it’s here.

Wander off into the political and other diatribe, and it’s lock time.

And I did see an Aviate-branded plane on near the ramp at EWR this week. I was heading back to SFO.

On an unrelated note, flew United for the first time in 25 years. Despite flying coach, went without a hitch and got on board a 77W. I did spring for the lounge at the airport and I’m impressed, though I saw the front desk staff get berated by a upset passenger who wasn’t able to access the United Club - it was packed. I think I’ll have my flying allegiances to WN and UA now.
I’m glad it went well.

Airports are packed. Airplanes are packed. Demand is huge.

A pilot shortage which has been decades in the making, known about for decades, and ignored by nearly everyone, until their flight was impacted. It has little to do with the other economic factors you’re discussing.

It was a threat on the horizon decades ago. Now it’s here.
And now it's here with a vengence because there was a sudden unforseen almost step function in air travel and other economic demand factors in conjunction with the long term making of a pilot shortage - basically a perfect storm to blow up the fragile system. A similar thing is happening in the big rig driver world. It's like the economy switch was turned on and went into turbo mode and the weakened supporting systems just can't react to the demand.

And now it's here with a vengence because there was a sudden unforseen almost step function in air travel and other economic demand factors in conjunction with the long term making of a pilot shortage - basically a perfect storm to blow up the fragile system. A similar thing is happening in the big rig driver world. It's like the economy switch was turned on and went into turbo mode and the weakened supporting systems just can't react to the demand.
Unforeseen by many... certainly ignored by "conventional wisdom" and the financial press.

Except for one airline CEO in particular, who bet heavily on the "V-shaped recovery", and kept every pilot, and every airplane. In fact, that airline added 17 787s in 2020, during the worst air travel decline in history, and expanded orders to take delivery of 500 new airplanes over the next five years.

All the other CEOs ran for the hills, furloughing people, including pilots, shedding hundreds of aircraft at carriers like Delta and American, leading to an inability to respond to the demand that came roaring back.

A perfect storm, in which one airline has positioned itself, through orders and growth in pilot hiring and training, to seize opportunity while the rest of the industry floundered.

The pilot shortage has been brewing for a long time. We've talked about it in the industry and the company. Long before the pandemic, United anticipated the shortage, and was taking steps to address how it recruits, trains, and hires pilots. United Aviate was started before the pandemic.

We all knew the shortage was coming.

But most of the industry failed to plan, and the result is the melt-downs you see today. They have no way to bring on the pilot numbers they need, and they can't train their existing pilots fast enough.

Airports are packed. Airplanes are packed. Demand is huge.
Yea, I saw the lines for non-Precheck/Clear were packed at SFO and EWR, planes were a full house, but behaved.

Judging by the crowd at the United Club at EWR and the amount of people at the bar(both at the lounge and the public ones), and the volume of drinking, people are sick of cabin fever.

Got home last night. On a plane this morning.

Back to work.
So how many hours are you in the air these days per week vs before? I think a pilot told me he was normally in the air for about 20 hours a week and he flew to Europe so he only had a couple of flights a week to do or something like that.

Back