Astro, What Do You Make Of This ??

United started a flight training academy. They provide access to funding and a flow path to a United cockpit for those who are able to finish training. That path is short, predictable, and attractive.
I was reading up on that - but does United want their prospective students to have flight experience first or will they train someone without?

I was reading up on that - but does United want their prospective students to have flight experience first or will they train someone without?

I think none is necessary. Here’s some details.

Basic requirements. 18 years old, US citizen or legal resident, have a High school diploma/GED.

I think back in the early 1960s things were kinda like this (??) I knew a guy who got hired at Northwest Airlines at 18 years old in the early 1960s (not sure what experience he had - couldn’t have been much). He ended up a 747 Captain for around 20 years until he retired at 60 y/o.

I have a single and multi-engine land commercial certificate with single and multi-engine instrument airplane ratings and a flight instructor single engine land with an instrument rating. I'm am completely totally and absolutely unqualified to fly an airliner. If I applied at an airline, they would look at my type of time and laugh at me, as I don't have enough multi-engine or turbine time. 1,500 hours of giving single-engine land instruction isn't what airlines are looking for.
My skill level is looking at planes !

I think none is necessary. Here’s some details.

Basic requirements. 18 years old, US citizen or legal resident, have a High school diploma/GED.

I am thinking they will want people with good math skills. Maybe they have a aptitude test?

If more people would just stay home this wouldn't be a problem.
Or take a bus or train.
There that's solved.

A lot of people travel for business that requires them to be onsite. Time is valuable to them and to the company. A bus or train fails on the time factor.

Someone I know flies all over the PNW and beyond to visit facilities and meet with people. For example, he can fly from Seattle to Missoula, conduct business and fly back home in time for supper.

If more people would just stay home this wouldn't be a problem.
Or take a bus or train.
There that's solved.
Some business can’t be done over Teams or Zoom, Greyhound is more or less a way for some states to ship the homeless to California and Amtrak moves at a glacial pace(unless you’re on the Northeast Corridor of PA/NJ/NY/MA/DC/DE/VA or the SoCal corridor that’s used by the Pacific Surfliner from Santa Barbara to San Diego as well as Metrolink and Coaster trains within LA/OC and San Diego/Riverside Counties - the two busiest passenger rail corridors in the US).

UA, AA, DL and to a extent WN as well as AS will always focus on the business flyer. Spirit, Frontier and the rest of the ULCCs will fight for the dregs.

It's not looking good, that's for sure. "Thousands of flights".

Yes it’s a big number but how many thousands? The latest number from the FAA website says that on average they handle about 45,000 flights a day.

Holidays are always a travel adventure. Always be prepared for the unexpected whether it’s traveling by automobile or by airplane.

A lot of people travel for business that requires them to be onsite. Time is valuable to them and to the company. A bus or train fails on the time factor.

Someone I know flies all over the PNW and beyond to visit facilities and meet with people. For example, he can fly from Seattle to Missoula, conduct business and fly back home in time for supper.
This...add in what higher-paid execs' time is worth and it is literally a waste of money to put them in a car or train.

Gents, back in the simulator today, then a tour for some aspiring young pilots I met at a glider operation a couple days ago. No time to comment.

HOWEVER

If this thread continues to be off topic, vaguely political, bickering, it will be locked.

Stick to the subject: pilot shortage
Are you in the neighborhood?

Learn how to be more skeptical and unbiased while trying to seek the truth, as we are in this here thread.
That's all fine and well. But at the same time he can spare me the whole Kevin Bacon, Animal House routine that, "All is well!"... Because it's not. In fact, far from it.

That's all fine and well. But at the same time he can spare me the whole Kevin Bacon, Animal House routine that, "All is well!"... Because it's not. In fact, far from it.
There's a lot of people on these news sources that say all kinds of cockamamie stuff, lots of it just makes me roll my eyes it's so crazy. Just got to learn how to detect the ackamarackus, which is actually pretty obvious these days if you stay pretty unbiased and seek the truth.

There's a lot of people on these news sources that say all kinds of cockamamie stuff, lots of it just makes me roll my eyes it's so crazy. Just got to learn how to detect the ackamarackus, which is actually pretty obvious these days if you stay pretty unbiased and seek the truth.

In this particular case, it's NOT the news sources. I'm going by what I see, and what others I know and trust tell me. When all of that arrives at the same conclusion, I'm going to go way out on a limb and call it reality.

You really don't need to "research", or watch the news to find out things that you previously could purchase in abundance without any concern, suddenly become somewhat hard to obtain.

And when you walk down the aisle of a store that has always been well stocked, and suddenly find bare shelves from everything from motor oil, to ammunition, to eggs, to paper products, are all suddenly in short supply, that never were before. It proves that reality has a way of slapping you in the face. All without listening to O'Reilly, Fox, CNN, MSDNC, NPR, or anyone else for that matter.

But yes, I agree with you, in the fact that journalism in itself, has pretty much taken a turn into the toilet, and fell in over the last 2+ decades. Truth in broadcasting means nothing today. Most all of it is agenda driven. Be it in print, or on the TV screen, or computer monitor. Much like You Tube, it's become nothing more than about getting, "hits".

You really don't need to "research", or watch the news to find out things that you previously could purchase in abundance without any concern, suddenly become somewhat hard to obtain.

And when you walk down the aisle of a store that has always been well stocked, and suddenly find bare shelves from everything from motor oil, to ammunition, to eggs, to paper products, are all suddenly in short supply, that never were before. It proves that reality has a way of slapping you in the face. All without listening to O'Reilly, Fox, CNN, MSDNC, NPR, or anyone else for that matter.
It's all due to a very complicated economic super storm of many factors that basically nobody can control very well or very quickly. It's not ultimately controlled by a little man behind a curtain - even though some try, or think that's the reasons.

The "economic monster" does what it wants so to speak based on the actions and reactions of the entire society, and world to an extent ... and the economic momentum once on a big roll is very hard to change. Been that way with every drastic economic up turn, down turn, boom, recession and depression. If you do enough research and don't listen to the very biased talking heads the picture becomes more clear.

In my area, where there are 2.5 million people in one county, I've have rarely seen many "bare shelves". Even AA extra large eggs are never out and still only $1.79/dozen. Ptetty much everything has increased in price (what hasn't?), but still lots of things are even on sale quite often where I shop. Just because stuff isn't available where someone is located doesn't mean it's that way across the entire country.

It's all due to a very complicated economic super storm of many factors that basically nobody can control very well or very quickly. It's not ultimately controlled by a little man behind a curtain - even though some try, or think that's the reasons.

The "economic monster" does what it wants so to speak based on the actions and reactions of the entire society, and world to an extent ... and the economic momentum once on a big roll is very hard to change. Been that way with every drastic economic up turn, down turn, boom, recession and depression. If you do enough research and don't listen to the very biased talking heads the picture becomes more clear.

In my area, where there are 2.5 million people in one county, I've have rarely seen many "bare shelves". Even AA extra large eggs are never out and still only $1.79/dozen. Ptetty much everything has increased in price (what hasn't?), but still lots of things are even on sale quite often where I shop. Just because stuff isn't available where someone is located doesn't mean it's that way across the entire country.

I don't believe it's all that complicated. Not in the least. A well run country is no different than a well run company. Just a few people at the top determine its overall course, and success or failure, by the policies and procedures they choose to implement.

Many times these individuals have to navigate their course through treacherous waters, much like the captain of a ship. Everyone under them does their jobs to the best of their own abilities. But ultimately they are at the mercy of the decisions made by those in command.

As an example, I worked many years for a family run corporation, that was started by the grandfather, in a garage behind his house after the Second World War.

And was further built into a major corporation by his son, that ended up employing well over 200 people in a 75,000 sq. ft. plant that they built from the ground up. And expanded twice.

The company made multi millionaires out of 7 seperate families, over a 40 year period. Hard work by intelligent individuals running it made that possible. The father retired and turned it all over to his 2 sons, who were basically idiots. 7 years later they completely destroyed it, filed for bankruptcy, and closed their doors.

Back to us. We had a good running country. Then, we the people put an idiot in charge of it. We see the results in less than 2 years. I don't believe in coincidence.

And we're not alone. The same thing rapidly happened to Venezuela, which used to be the economic powerhouse of South America, and South Africa, which was much the same to the continent of Africa. Now both have been turned into total stink holes by stupid leadership.

Idiots in charge always come to be the reason why these things take place. Not all the planets becoming somehow magically aligned in a million to one chance.

And for what it's worth I found your post interesting. And I couldn't reply to you in any other manner. If this thread somehow gets locked, or else disappears, I apologise for it. But that is getting to be par for the course around here.

I don't believe it's all that complicated. Not in the least. A well run country is no different than a well run company. Just a few people at the top determine its overall course, and success or failure, by the policies and procedures they choose to implement.
Thing is, there was a big iceberg that came out of nowhere (radar picked it up too late to steer better around it) that the ship hit which really caused some major navigation and steering damage and couldn't control very well, and the crew maybe made some bad decisions along the way. Then another crew took the wheel and tries to get the crippled ship back under control while a few more icebergs pop out of nowhere and damages the ship even more. IMO, there is no crew anywhere who can fix the nav and steering system right now in any short term way, it was too damaged from the initial and subsequent icebergs ... the ship got too out of control for anyone. Hopefully an even more giant iceberg doesnt give us more surprises, never know the way the world is churning. :unsure: 👀

Last edited:
I have a single and multi-engine land commercial certificate with single and multi-engine instrument airplane ratings and a flight instructor single engine land with an instrument rating. I'm am completely totally and absolutely unqualified to fly an airliner. If I applied at an airline, they would look at my type of time and laugh at me, as I don't have enough multi-engine or turbine time. 1,500 hours of giving single-engine land instruction isn't what airlines are looking for.
And yet, with a bit of coaching from the right seat, you handled a 767-400 just fine! 😉

Thing is, there was a big iceberg that came out of nowhere (radar picked it up too late to steer better around it) that the ship hit which really caused some major navigation and steering damage and couldn't control very well, and the crew maybe made some bad decisions along the way. Then another crew took the wheel and tries to get the crippled ship back under control while a few more icebergs pop out of nowhere and damages the ship even more. IMO, there is no crew anywhere who can fix the nav and steering system right now in any short term way, it was too damaged from the initial and subsequent icebergs ... the ship got too out of control for anyone. Hopefully an even more giant iceberg doesnt give us more surprises, never know the way the world is churning. :unsure: 👀
OK…

So the pilot shortage was created by a shop, steered by an incompetent family, that hit an iceberg!?!?

Let’s stick to the topic, please.

Got home last night. On a plane this morning.

Back to work.

Back