Astra 400 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cousin was given what he thinks is a Astra 400 . He wishes to disassemble it to clean & lube it .

Best we can tell , the procedure begins with locking the slide back ( strong spring ! ) and rotating the barrel . That has not worked . Maybe we are not rotating it enough / all the way ?

I suggested 2 things .

1 - Use a strip of leather to protect the barrel & try to further rotate the barrel . With the aid of some pliers .

2 - Soak the whole gun , minus the wood grips , in his favorite penetrating oil , then do method # 1 .

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I am guessing it is chambered in 9mm Largo ?

Sure there is a video to show ya....

With the slide closed... push and turn the knurled muzzle nut and remove it. Spring loaded, watch it!

You can then rotate the barrel 90 degrees to free it from the slide. You may have to move the slide back a bit on the frame to do this, can't remember.

I forgot the inner tube lock on the barrel nut needs to be pushed rearward to rotate the barrel nut/bushing.

A 50 BMG empty ctg case is a great tool to push that lock rearward

I have several Astra pistols with the "tubular" barrels and locking nut at the muzzle. Way too many Astras have been damaged by people taking a pair of pliers to the nut in an attempt to disassemble it.
As others have mentioned, there is a sleeve/bushing that is visible at the muzzle that needs to be pushed in flush with the nut in order to turn the nut and release the bushing. I use one of those plastic or nylon 1911 barrel bushing wrenches. You can slip it over the barrel and catch the edge of the bushing and then push it down to allow the nut to turn.
Use caution, those guns have very stout recoil springs. Keep it pointed away from your face in case parts get launched !
Once the nut and bushing are removed you can turn the barrel by the knurling to rotate the lugs out of their grooves in the frame and complete the field stripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back