Assessment of Lubrication Conditions in a Big End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Books Link

Assessment of Lubrication Conditions in a Big End

It's where this chart can be obtained.

big%20end%20temperature.jpg

Whole bunch of test oils, and big end bearing equipped with thermocouples, operated at different loads and RPM.

14 test oils across the board, interestingly including including 4 Newtonian oils with no VII...
5W20 synthetic
15W30 High VI GrIII
15W20 and SAE50 solvernt refined (GrI)

Table III shows the temperature rises in the big end bearings for different viscosities at different RPM...will show the Newtonians here for e.g. The 80C sump temps are shown, but they are also at 125, and 150C in the document...the chart I use above shows the general trend anyway.

Code:

RPM 5W20 10W30 15W40 15W50 SAE50

2,000 7C 10C 12C 14C 17C

3,000 14C 19C 25C 20C 27C

4,000 20C 30C 37C 30C 40C

5,000 31C 37C 52C 42C 54C

Quote:
IV-2 Influence of Operating Conditions on Big-End bearing temoerature
Figure 6 (the one that I use) shows the variation of the bearing temperature versus speed and load at different sump temperatures. As expected, speed is an important parameter. The temperature increase induced by the load is maximum at low speed, but rarely exceeds 10C. At 5,000RPM the variation of temperatures with load is only 3 or 4C, except when a sharp peak of temperature occurs (*)
.However, it is well known that bearing failures occur mostly at both high speed and high load. This means that under boundary lubricating conditions, small variations in load and/or temperature can have dramatic consequences.

(*) subsequently explains this as the onset of metal/metal.

Quote:
IV-4 Bearing Temperature Rise
The absolute value of bearing temperature is imprtant in connection with bearing failure.
But the increase of oil temperature in the bearing provides information on the energy dissipated in the bearing by viscous heating or metal to metal contact.

Quote:
IX - Summary
1) results for big-end beaings seem to correlate with results for main bearings, which are much easier to evealuate.
2) under hydrodynamic conditions it is possible to derive an effective viscosity from temperature measurements.
4) the viscosity limit for safe operation of a bearing depends on the bearing surface conditions, operating conditions and additive package. With a worn bearing, failure can occur even with an SAE50 oil.

5) comparison of the results of the present work with other published data suggests that for current values of viscosity index, occurences of bearing problems is not certain, but possible for some SAE20 oils as defined by their high shear rate viscosity or better by their effective viscosity.

Are you solely presenting this in the context of 40 year-old data?
What relevance does it have to the engines/oils of today?

To that point, look at what they were using!
crazy2.gif

Oz2Vfs3.png

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Are you solely presenting this in the context of 40 year-old data?
What relevance does it have to the engines/oils of today?

Have the laws of physics changed ?

Has the relationship between load and speed reversed recently, and how ?

Is viscosity still not the main determinant for oil film thickness, all else being equal ?

Has the role of additives in protecting in conditions of boundary lubrication changed ?

People keep complaining about my "old" data...but that's what's available...and physics hasn't changed in the interim.

If you can find something "fresh' that counters these basic physical phenomenon, have at it then, I wait with bated breath.

Here's something fresh (2016)....
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40544-016-0107-9

Bearings are still largely hydrodynamic,and contribute to overall power loss.

(the piston discussion is pretty good too).

It's just a pity that he refers to one of the quintessential engine textbooks, "Internal Combustion Engine Fundimentals", by JB Heywood, 1988 (mine cost $145 back in '89), plus some early '90s journal references.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
... It's just a pity that he refers to one of the quintessential engine textbooks, "Internal Combustion Engine Fundimentals", by JB Heywood, 1988 (mine cost $145 back in '89), plus some early '90s journal references.
Yes, and even worse, my 1970 edition (updated from the 1944 original) of Edward Oberts's textbook Internal Combustion Engines makes essentially the same points. Shearing a viscous fluid still heats the fluid.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
People keep complaining about my "old" data...but that's what's available...and physics hasn't changed in the interim.

There's a reason these things aren't tested constantly and published in peer reviewed journals. There's no need to reaffirm and publish what's already been demonstrated. First year physics classes routinely check acceleration due to gravity in an early lab, since it's easy and introduces students to lab write ups and a few pieces of equipment. The results don't usually get published, though, since nothing about G has changed.
wink.gif

Yep,
and you can't find any published studies on the effect of the "W" rating on oil gallery filling in Texas in summer, regardless of how hard you look.

Funny that rpm x temperature table doesn't take into consideration, the load, since increasing the load you increase the pressure on the film and that raises the temperature.

End bearings have what oil volume 50 ml at most (half oz. more realistic)? No much influent on the bulk oil temperature even in a small sump, that has about 5 qt. So you gain some temperature in less than 1% of the total volume. And that is quick and easily lost by the cooling effect.

Last edited:
They state (like all the other papers) that load has less of an effect than speed...see Figure 6 that I lifted out of the paper...

big%20end%20temperature.jpg

As to the volume contained in a big end being only a fraction of a sump volume and therefore negligible, you are using a simplistic, and obviously incorrect "1d" analogy...the oil is in a working circuit.

e.g. temperatures and flows from an actual running engine in a study...
heat%20flow%20in%20crankshaft%206000%20rpm.jpg

Multiply it out to 5 mains and 4 big ends...flow is around 120cc/sec, or about 2gallons per minute...it's dynamic, not static. Surely you can understand that the entire sump makes it's way through each bearing every couple of minutes...it's not a volume/volume thing.

And the power loss/energy input into the oil being sheared in the mains and big ends alone is 2.4KW...hardly inconsequential, eh ???

just for my own edification, please tell me how more "film pressure" increases temperature ?

You've now brought phase change, latent heat and compressible gas equations into big end bearings ???

LOLing...you are clutching at vapours again. There is ZERO relevance here.

As you've failed to keep up with the conversations, piston/wall ARE A PART of the bearing surfaces, and most of the heat generated there is due to viscous friction, just like in the bearing proper, and contribute to oil temperature.

Undercrown is there' but it's small compared to the viscous friction, which is largely dictated by RPM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Clapeyron said it. P.V and T

https://global.britannica.com/science/thermodynamics/The-Clausius-Clapeyron-equation

But the important thing is:

The piston undercrown and cylinder liner, make the oil way much hotter than the endo friction at bearings... As I said too many times. Anybody still doubts that?

Try this

Basic Thermodynamics

and then this,

See Virial Equations

Thanks a lot, now I'm going to have nightmares. And here I thought I successfully put that stuff in my past never to be seen or thought about again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back