Asking for a review of "5 stars"

After a company has done a service for you, how do you feel about them asking for a "5 star review" instead of just a "review"?

Recently I had a new A/C-gas pack installed (19 yo and the blower motor was going bad). A family owned business did a service a couple years ago and I felt like they'd provided quality service and with the current install, spent quite a while explaining, in detail, the whole deal. They brought me a portable heater to use and moved me to the front of the install line due to no heat. The day of install went perfectly, everything was checked electronically and physically as sometimes unseen damage occurs during transport. It took all three guys almost eight hours, very thorough, and follow-up has been great. I let one of the owners know how pleased I was with everything when she came over to collect the payment and give me some paperwork.

Being in the hospitality service industry for 35 years in 4-5 star resorts, I really felt taken care of by them. At work, sometimes people gush at what we do for them but we can never tell them to "tell that to my manager" or "please write that in an online review". If they ask, we can "point" them in the needed direction, but never tell them what to say or write.

I got an email today from them with some paperwork and pdfs and a note with two links attached asking for 5 star reviews. I wouldn't/couldn't give them anything BUT 5 stars, but asking for it chaps me in the wrong way. I know its been drummed into me about "providing service and let the chips fall where they may" is affecting the way I'm thinking. I'd love to see this company succeed greatly, and an ex coworker has already used them (upon my recommendation) and is having them come back to do more...I know he is very picky.

Would it be out of line to offer constructive criticism about asking customers for a review instead of a 5 star review? Or just let it go since it is really my deal considering my work background?

I’d let it go. They might have some deal with a manufacturer or something contingent upon getting good reviews… a lot of them are used as a “all of nothing” type thing instead of actual honest to god reviews.

The way I do it is I either give them a 5 star review, don’t do one if I feel it wasn’t worthy of 5 stars, and you really have to screw up for me to give a 1.

I think the number of 5 stars given out have really diluted the value of 5 stars. I think Uber uses some metric where you must be really bad if you're below some 4.x rating as most people will automatically give 5 star ratings even on just regular service. So it sounds like you really got 5 stars and with the dilution of its real meaning, all you can do is give them a 5 star and write the glowing review.

Its a jungle out there, everyone fighting for good reviews, life or death for business, more so small business. I dont see anything at all wrong for asking, if they didnt ask, most people would never bother even if the service was great people wouldnt take the time to post it.
If they were as good as you say I wouldnt have any problem with them asking. I do have a problem with less then stellar companies asking but that is not your case. Which to me, in your case sounds like a really stand up company who truly looks to provide top shelf service. Wish they all did.

people lie about poor service when actually they just did not like paying what good work costs …
my wife just saw a middle aged man make a young Walmart employee cry over 44 cents …
imagine a jerk like that doing a review …

If they deserve it, they'll get it-but if they don't deserve it, "asking for 5" will get a deduction from me every time!
Asking someone to do something makes them want to do it less.

There is only do, or not do. Asking is basically weakness.

Basic human psychology.

The reality of the situation is that anything outside of a 1* or 5* review doesn't really matter. To be honest, most reviews are complete garbage anyways. Seriously, read them one day. Half the time, it's people complaining, and reviewing, about the delayed shipping. Which is fine, I guess, when you want to review a vendor. However, that has nothing to do with the item itself. The other half are a mix of people who either didn't read the item description and are upset when it doesn't fit/doesn't connect with/etc. or who leave a 4* review because the item is really good, but they never leave 5* reviews because reasons.

When I worked at the dealership, our OEM would take away bonuses and incentives if we didn't receive a set percentage of 5* reviews (I think it was over 95%, but I could be wrong.. it's a bit fuzzy now). That means, if I did my job well and delivered the car to the customer well, and they left me a 4* review because I did great, but they had to wait for F&I for 45 minutes (not something I can control), then I potentially lost any bonuses/incentives that I would've normally gotten for selling that car that I spent 4 hours working on you with.

I'm not going to tell you how you should review things, but people need to realize that the only reviews that matter are 1* and 5* reviews. Oh, and you really shouldn't trust reviews online. Many, many reviews are bought and paid for, or are 1* reviews because Karen had to wait for an hour after showing up without an appointment on a Monday.

This isn't much different than the system that involves the tech-types that do house-calls (cable/satellite installer, internet, etc) and they ask you to leave them good reviews during the automated call you receive shortly after the work is completed. I had (2) different installers for Dish Network tell me that anything other than a 5 is considered really bad on them. In one case, it's the "worker" asking to help him and in the OP's case, the company simply wants to potentially increase business.

I would NOT like any business asking me for a 5* review.
They should do the best job they are capable of doing, and then ask, for 'a' review.
Looks like the OP wants to give 5* but was just uncomfortable with them asking.

Management should read the reviews and strive for:
Good, Better, Best
Never let it rest,
Till your Good is Better,
And your Better is Best.

It all starts with hiring the right people.

My last truck had an interior panel all scratched up by someone doing the PDI. Was I "completely satisfied" absolutely not. Had I filled out the survey honestly my sales person (who I have known for 25+ yrs) would get gigged for the poor survey rather than the dope who damaged the panel.

Back