Asking for a friend, thinking to use "lightly used oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to sell my used up oil with a little sand, fuel and other contaminants in it.
Any buyers in Tampa Florida. I have about 12 5 quart jugs

Put it in the gas tank a quart at a time, to dispose of without contaminating any of that fine sand or Florida water.

Good lord. A complete change at Walmart for that car has to be $25 at most.

The concept of a gross leaker/ consumer seems to be lost on people.....

It's not about the 20-25.00 cost of a sump of oil. It's the ongoing cost of continually feeding a beast from what is likely a very abridged income.

Or even being mid trip and having the oil pressure idiots light start blinking getting a jug of mystery oil from the trunk is way better than starving the engine.

Both of my grandfathers are this type of person and I can’t even deal with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very frugal guy(Dave Ramsey follower here). I’m a frequent flyer in the rebates and promotions thread, but dude spend the $20 on store brand oil and a super tech filter at the least. If you can’t afford that, you can’t afford the car. I can’t begin to count the thousands I’ve seen them burn because they were doing something stupid to save $5 on yearly maintenance or $20 on a 100% necessary repair.

Both of my grandfathers are this type of person and I can’t even deal with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very frugal guy(Dave Ramsey follower here). I’m a frequent flyer in the rebates and promotions thread, but dude spend the $20 on store brand oil and a super tech filter at the least. If you can’t afford that, you can’t afford the car. I can’t begin to count the thousands I’ve seen them burn because they were doing something stupid to save $5 on yearly maintenance or $20 on a 100% necessary repair.

If it cost 20.0 to rebuild a 4.6 he probably wouldn't be trying to save money buying used oil.

Maybe he ended up with one of your grandads cars as the kid was given a beater, and inherited the lack of maintenance.

I have called my son "monkey" many times. He is super agile and athletic. He was scaling the 30 ft. high rock climbing walls when he was 6 or 7 years old. There ain't nothing he can't probably climb.
The context matters

I don't see how anyone can assume that economics play a role in having to buy $1.50 jug of used oil when the father thought about spending $40 to send and test out a sample. That's 3 oil changes or at least one with a crap load of make-up oil. A jug of SN 5W20 from Runnings or whatever they have in MI is $9.99.
I'll bet the 17 year old kid has a better iPhone than most of us.

I have some used Wix oil filter that I only used for 6000 miles. Lots of people use much lower tier filters for much longer. I'm willing to go as low as $5 a piece or $9.55 for 2 filters.

If it cost 20.0 to rebuild a 4.6 he probably wouldn't be trying to save money buying used oil.

Maybe he ended up with one of your grandads cars as the kid was given a beater, and inherited the lack of maintenance.
My point was they would rather spend $10 on stop leak and ruin a cooling system than spend $30 on a gasket or something. Strictly an example. Never implied you could rebuild an engine for $20. And I wouldn’t wish one of my grandfathers cars on anyone! :ROFLMAO:

My point was they would rather spend $10 on stop leak and ruin a cooling system than spend $30 on a gasket or something. Strictly an example. Never implied you could rebuild an engine for $20. And I wouldn’t wish one of my grandfathers cars on anyone! :ROFLMAO:

Well.. if you have the tools and the know-how, all it will cost you is time, and maybe you even saved the old coolant. :)

Me personally I wouldn’t use a strangers used oil. But in this set of circumstances it might be worth the risk. The vehicle was purchased as transportation so the kid doesn’t have to take public transportation right now (Covid). If they get 6 months of use out of the car and then plan on junking it, it financially makes more sense to put as little $$ into this as possible. Based off the description of the car, “leaks and burns oil like no tomorrow”, then who cares. The engine sounds like it’s one breath stroke away from death anyway.

You have no idea how many people I've known who've owned leakers and burners, and I've always told them to at least keep a jug of the cheapest el-cheapo Walmart oil in their trunk so they can check it daily and keep it topped off (ever shown them step by step how to di it), only to find out they've blown the engine due to it having zero oil in the sump!!

You have no idea how many people I've known who've owned leakers and burners, and I've always told them to at least keep a jug of the cheapest el-cheapo Walmart oil in their trunk so they can check it daily and keep it topped off (ever shown them step by step how to di it), only to find out they've blown the engine due to it having zero oil in the sump!!
Reminds me of 3 of my 4 Stepkids!

Oh,and it gets even better!! I ALWAYS give people like that oil from my stash, under the promise that they will use it. By that I mean check their oil every day and keep it topped off. But,like clockwork only to always find out they've blown the engine, all the oil I gave them still unopened in the trunk, and zero oil in the sump!! Haha!! :ROFLMAO:

Oh,and it gets even better!! I ALWAYS give people like that oil from my stash, under the promise that they will use it. By that I mean check their oil every day and keep it topped off. But,like clockwork only to always find out they've blown the engine, all the oil I gave them still unopened in the trunk, and zero oil in the sump!! Haha!! :ROFLMAO:
Yes I even gave my Stepkids oil and filter they couldn't be bothered. They all drive used and if the car is worth anything they waste it within 3 to 4 years due to lack of maintenance or they wreck it. One of them has wrecked 4 in ten years.

Yes I even gave my Stepkids oil and filter they couldn't be bothered. They all drive used and if the car is worth anything they waste it within 3 to 4 years due to lack of maintenance or they wreck it. One of them has wrecked 4 in ten years.

Sounds like every guys car that my one sister dated each one a dripping roach mobile.

Then there's that sister thats burned through a dozen cars in 30 years - every one hammered to a rolling total loss.
Every brake jobs into the rivets. Every tire down to cord. Every shock blown, very bushing, grommet, moveable part, they leak, drinks, dents, window lifts - everything that can break.

Its just amazing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back