"Asking for a friend" on whether "he" should sell his used car

Just kidding, it is me.

So my 270k miles 97 Integra RS automatic, seems to have some intermittent misfire at cold start. Let's say it is not a head gasket issue again (i.e. just carbon build up, ignition coil, plug wires, etc), with a "good" condition rating. How much do you think I can sell it for?

Crushing it would land me $1200 again like the 95 Corolla, but I figure it is either worth keeping due to emotional / extra beater is nice reason, or I can sell it for a better price on my own.

High mileage but assuming it has a California body and no rust, it shoukd fetch some money. I’d look at comps on eBay and bat, and price around there. It’s a hot car market and you can always negotiate down.

Last edited:
Not much. Check the basics, otherwise run it till it dies. It might go for a very long time.
OP is in CA. I’m not sure what happens once a CEL is set, but i’m guessing there is no “long time” ahead once that happens.

If the car is 100% stock, if the body and interior are in good shape, post it for $4k and watch it sell.

Someone will happily buy it and you won't recognize in a month. Around here that car would be K-swapped and lowered in about 24 hours.
This. Used cars are bring top prices right now and it's not going to stay that way forever. Sell Sell Sell. You have the correct brand of car that should bring a premium used car price. Start at $4,000 and see what happens since you can always go down. Take cash only too.

carvana will give you an offer online after you answer a few questions... give it a shot... you might be suprised
I highly doubt Carvana buys 25 year old Integras. They didn't even give me an offer on my 22 year old CR-V with less miles (225k), just basically said "Sorry, not interested."

OP, post it and sell it. $4000 and be honest about misfire. Someone will show up, hold your ground and don't go below $3500 "AS-IS".

If the car is 100% stock, if the body and interior are in good shape, post it for $4k and watch it sell.

Someone will happily buy it and you won't recognize in a month. Around here that car would be K-swapped and lowered in about 24 hours.
Yes, my understanding is that this car is very desirable for certain demographics. It's worth more to them for their projects than it is worth as an compact car to the rest of us.

Just kidding, it is me.

So my 270k miles 97 Integra RS automatic, seems to have some intermittent misfire at cold start. Let's say it is not a head gasket issue again (i.e. just carbon build up, ignition coil, plug wires, etc), with a "good" condition rating. How much do you think I can sell it for?

Crushing it would land me $1200 again like the 95 Corolla, but I figure it is either worth keeping due to emotional / extra beater is nice reason, or I can sell it for a better price on my own.
I hate these posts. I want that car. Integras are incredible cars.
Well, Los Gatos and Silicon Valley seem to be less than 20 mins apart. Depending on how bad you want it and ready to buy, maybe @PandaBear can run you a BITOG discount from prices mentioned in this thread.

I hate these posts. I want that car. Integras are incredible cars.
They were fun cars. My wife had one that she sold with like 181k miles. The MT/clutch was never as good as my E30 BMW in terms of feel and driving, and the car rusted and fell apart around the drivetrain. But it was a good driving car, and fun to drive.

A CA car that doesnt have an east coast salt and rust issue can bring a premium, like most older desirable cars.

carvana will give you an offer online after you answer a few questions... give it a shot... you might be suprised
I checked their web-site to price my 2002 Ford Ranger with 165,000 miles (July of 2020).
The reply was - 'it's out of our price range" / meaning it was not worth buying.

Well, Los Gatos and Silicon Valley seem to be less than 20 mins apart. Depending on how bad you want it and ready to buy, maybe @PandaBear can run you a BITOG discount from prices mentioned in this thread.
I am upside down on cars... We can't drive the ones we have.
But I will be needing something for my younger grand nieces is about a year...

I wonder if @PandaBear would drop it off at @The Critic for his detailed inspection and superior work?

I don't know if these cars still have the demand they used to, but they might. If the body is in good shape that's probably all some tuner is looking for. They'll drop a new engine in. I think I'd try eBay.

Back