Asiana passenger opens door mid-flight

I've heard that the pressure difference usually won't allow a door to open at altitude, but this was apparently on landing approach. They guy who opened the door has been arrested.

Is plane moving any at all regardless of location and speed? If yes, anyone with any intelligence at all has seat belt securely fastened.

As a frequent flyer Ive thought about this a lot, and I will stop or die trying, anyone I ever see going for that door, the cockpit, or the flight crew.

It's not happening.

Used to be in the 70's some clown would hijack you and maybe you'd go for a ride to Havana, not anymore the current crop of guys aren't out for a ride they are out to kill people and its us or them and I vote us.

I like to book the exit row when flying so unless it's Andre the Giant, I'll do my best to stop any psychos who want to get off the flight early.

So-the News said at 30,000 feet it's impossible to open the door. Due to pressurization. But the plane was at 600 feet and it can be done at that altitude.

Reactions: hrv
My short career as a flight attendant taught me just how many nut balls are in the air at any given time. I had a crackhead on a night flight to Oklahoma City lose his watch down between the seat and the wall, and when he could not find it, stood up, and commenced punching his window as hard as he could. This was taking place just feet from the spinning prop of engine #1 on an Embraer Brasilia. I'm not sure what catastrophe would have taken place had he broken it. Thankfully he didn't even manage to damage the interior clear cover. Meth is a bad epidemic in this country, and I'm betting a drug test would be meth + if Mr. Crazy Door Opener were to be tested.

My short career as a flight attendant taught me just how many nut balls are in the air at any given time. I had a crackhead on a night flight to Oklahoma City lose his watch down between the seat and the wall, and when he could not find it, stood up, and commenced punching his window as hard as he could. This was taking place just feet from the spinning prop of engine #1 on an Embraer Brasilia. I'm not sure what catastrophe would have taken place had he broken it. Thankfully he didn't even manage to damage the interior clear cover. Meth is a bad epidemic in this country, and I'm betting a drug test would be meth + if Mr. Crazy Door Opener were to be tested.

In South Korea?

When it comes to seat belts, leave common sense at the door...... Both in aircraft and automobiles. As well as the people who govern their use. For example, here in Arizona you will receive a ticket if you drive a pickup truck without your seat belt fastened... But if you have people riding in the bed while driving, that's OK.

You can take off your seatbelt while cruising 550 MPH in an aircraft at 35,000 ft..... But again, not in your car driving down the road at 25 MPH. It makes no sense.

If someone has to use the can yes, unbuckle, go do your business, then strap back in immediately. How many people, (not counting flight attendants), have had their head slammed into the ceiling, after the aircraft hits clear air turbulence?

It wouldn't happen if people kept their belts on. Even very loosely. It just seems like such a foolish risk to take for zero reward.

yes, before 9/11 you could do that, but cockpit door stays locked now

Besides getting pilot to open the window during the flight? It does seem odd that an Airbus has sliding windows.

I do remember Airport '79 has a scene where a pilot hopes to shoot an emergency flare out of a Concorde cockpit hoping to spoof an infrared-seeking missile. But then again these are the slowest air to air missiles known to man.

Hope he gets terrorist charges and gets put in for the max. Doing that is beyond despicable. Imagine if it was at high enough altitude to cause catastrophic fuselage decompression. No wonder pilots first reaction is to get the plane down just in case it escalates.

Back