asian M1-0w-40 same as us M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the M1 0w-40 that we get here in asia, i wonder if its the same as what you guys get in the us, the specs seem to be the same but then why is the packaging so different

06032009921.jpg

06032009919.jpg

The bottling date stamped on the container is 05 May 2007, so its not exactly new (not to mention the wear and tear on the label). It also says it is packed (bottled?) by ExxonMobil Asia Pacific in Malaysia, so it is obvious they use different bottles than in the US. In Asia, anything associated with gold is always considered a more desirable than silver, so I guess that is why they choose that color.

Yeah it is the same formula. Not sure why they make a different packaging, but I imagine it has to deal with marketing.

One interesting thing is that it says the product is made (not bottled) at a ExxonMobil facility in Beaumont TX, which is the location of the largest PAO plant in the world. Looks left they left off the last digit of the zip code?

Originally Posted By: JSP
Yeah it is the same formula. Not sure why they make a different packaging, but I imagine it has to deal with marketing.

For one thing, in most places outside of the US, they bottle in liters not quarts, so each region has their own packaging, distribution, etc, of the products. That particular bottle looks like it is for the Hong Kong market (imported by ExxonMobil Hong Kong Limited) so each country has to import the oil and have separate labels, so they just ship the bulk oil to EM Asia in Singapore and let EM Asia figure that out.

I'am sure it is pretty much the same for other companies.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
They don't even have to import oil if local ingredients are available, like in Canada.

It ain't oil bud, it's PAO. I believe that all PAO in Mobil 1 is made at the EM PAO plant in Beaumont TX, the largest high viscosity PAO plant in the world.

That's interesting to see its sourced from Malaysia. Over at this end, Mobil 1 products are sourced from France. Wonder how many different sources there are for the same product.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
That's interesting to see its sourced from Malaysia. Over at this end, Mobil 1 products are sourced from France. Wonder how many different sources there are for the same product.

It's bottled in France and Singapore (actually Singapore is a separate country from Malaysia). They ship the bulk oil over there and then bottle, distribute, and market it in the local regions.

i also saw some old stuff in the closet, wonder if it's worth using hehe :) the motul is probably ester as its green and smells like alcohol
06032009925.jpg

06032009927.jpg

06032009924.jpg

06032009922.jpg

They have that Pennzoil Synthetic w/Pennzane at most K-Marts I've been to. Rated SJ, probably a good 10 years old... They just recently put it on "clearance" for $5/quart. What a steal!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark888
They don't even have to import oil if local ingredients are available, like in Canada.

It ain't oil bud, it's PAO. I believe that all PAO in Mobil 1 is made at the EM PAO plant in Beaumont TX, the largest high viscosity PAO plant in the world.

You're assuming something about the formula for Mobil 1. :)

Canada makes PAO and group III stuff.

You're assuming something about the formula for Mobil 1. :)

Canada makes PAO and group III stuff.

No, I am not assuming anything. M1 0W-40 does have substantial amounts of PAO/Ester base stocks. I don't believe that EM has a PAO plant in Canada. Unlike most other companies, EM makes their own PAO/Ester base stock, and EM is a major supplier of high viscosity PAO to many other companies, even including other major oil companies.

It ain't oil bud, it's PAO.

PAO isn't oil?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
PAO isn't oil?

Yes, PAO is oil, but it is a special kind of oil that may not be manufactured in Canada (not sure). Anyway, even if there was a PAO plant in Canada, EM isn't going to purchase PAO somewhere else when they operate the largest PAO plant in the world in Beaumont TX (and they are a supplier of PAO to other companies as well).

Chevron-Phillips Chemical Company (a joint venture of Chevron and ConocoPhillips) is the other major North American supplier of high viscosity PAO base stocks.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
They have that Pennzoil Synthetic w/Pennzane at most K-Marts I've been to. Rated SJ, probably a good 10 years old... They just recently put it on "clearance" for $5/quart. What a steal!
LOL.gif

I used Pennzoil/Pennzane when it first came out. I believe it was under $3 a quart at Wal-Mart. K-Mart has this for $5 a quart now? Wow. They purchased it on closeout and marked it up.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
PAO isn't oil?

Yes, PAO is oil, but it is a special kind of oil that may not be manufactured in Canada (not sure). Anyway, even if there was a PAO plant in Canada, EM isn't going to purchase PAO somewhere else when they operate the largest PAO plant in the world in Beaumont TX (and they are a supplier of PAO to other companies as well).

Chevron-Phillips Chemical Company (a joint venture of Chevron and ConocoPhillips) is the other major North American supplier of high viscosity PAO base stocks.

From what I've read, Esso and Exxon are or were connected, and Esso makes PAO based oils. I don't know why ExxonMobil couldn't just get the PAO from Esso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back