As said by a Ford engineer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would term the entire quote as somewhat over zealous ..but not totally "bogus". People that operate in the vacuum of design/certification can attribute more weight to their observations than manage to surface in any practical "loss of service".

Quote:

... Grinding a crankshaft in the wrong direction of rotation will eat up the bearings in 5 to 10 minutes...

I'm impressed. Very few people, including powertrain engineers, are familiar with this phenomenon. And if they do, they don't know why.

Another thing that surprises me is that Ford has retained an engineer for 24 years without squeezing him out of the company, like what happened to most of my Ford colleagues!

Can I assume that any abrasive action forms a "trailing edge" that either relaxes in a counter rotational instance ..or disrupts the normal laminar oil shearing with turbulence
confused.gif

Share you wisdom, o' wise one
smile.gif

Lou, that clause along with other such wording is there so that if there is a failure you have something to fall back on if you can prove a problem was caused by a clash. These kind of problems happen more often in trans fluid and radiator coolant. A couple of years ago we had a problem with one vehicle that had its main and rod bearings fail. They were erroded away. The problem turned out to be the driver. He poured a whole bottle of additive in the crankcase every time he filled the gas tank. The additive was a chlorinated paraffin and it did exactly what you'd expect it to do in such large amounts. Our lawyers wanted to sue someone but I called them off, operator error. So those clauses are cya stuff but mixing api cert oil is of no benefit and could cause a problem so I would avoid it.

It is true. Mixing oils and changing brands frequently is NOT OPTIMAL. That is not to say you will see poor performance from it, but you will not see as good of performance as you would if you stuck to one oil consecutively. That is just common sense.

Notice the guy didn't say, "if you mix oils, your engine will die." Almost everyone in this thread took that completely out of context and tried to quantify it themselves. His term of "poor" or not good may just mean that the performance can still be great, but not as great as it could be.

Quote:

It is true. Mixing oils and changing brands frequently is NOT OPTIMAL. That is not to say you will see poor performance from it, but you will not see as good of performance as you would if you stuck to one oil consecutively. That is just common sense.

Notice the guy didn't say, "if you mix oils, your engine will die." Almost everyone in this thread took that completely out of context and tried to quantify it themselves. His term of "poor" or not good may just mean that the performance can still be great, but not as great as it could be.

Actually he said:

Quote:

The chemicals will normally differ from the manufacturers blend, and can cancel each other out to the point where there will be no anti-wear properties left in the product.

This is simply incorrect. I don't think it should be unchallenged, just because he's an "engineer".

Quote:

Quote:

Actually he said:

Quote:

The chemicals will normally differ from the manufacturers blend, and can cancel each other out to the point where there will be no anti-wear properties left in the product.

This is simply incorrect. I don't think it should be unchallenged, just because he's an "engineer".

That is great. Then challenge it. But if you are going to do that, you should provide proof or evidence that that scenario is not possible. He didn't say it was guaranteed to happen. So, unless you can prove that it is completely impossible, you have to admit he could be right.

Simple - we have seen many, many purposely and not so purposely blended oils. Not one completely "canceled out" any AW properties. In fact some where improved.

Even looking at a year or two's worth of UOA's here will show that.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG EGO!!! I sure he works in a building with a large loading door because his head to big to fit through the averge door.

Quote:

Simple - we have seen many, many purposely and not so purposely blended oils. Not one completely "canceled out" any AW properties. In fact some where improved.

So that proves beyond any doubt that there are "no" two oils in the world that could have that happen if mixed? You have tested every SJ oil with every SM oil? You tested every SL oil with ever SH oil? Etc etc....Unless someone was really bored, i seriously doubt it has been proven.

So, once again, you have yet to prove anything and should admit it is at least possible.

Quote:

So that proves beyond any doubt that there are "no" two oils in the world that could have that happen if mixed? You have tested every SJ oil with every SM oil? You tested every SL oil with ever SH oil? Etc etc....Unless someone was really bored, i seriously doubt it has been proven.

So, once again, you have yet to prove anything and should admit it is at least possible.

It's possible - we've just never seen it. But why not give him the same scrutiny you give me? Where is HIS proof that this happens? He implies or rather says it will happen pretty much all the time. It seems to be an old "oil rule" from the days of yore. Yet we have never seen it. So why the free ride for him?

Quote:

Quote:

The moon is made of bleu cheese. Have you proven otherwise? You have not tested the soil of the moon and we have not visited the moon. It was a product of Hollywood and not a real moon landing.
ufo.gif

Well put globey.
To many times the “cant be ruled out” excuse is applied, and while true, it doesn’t come close to meeting reasonable expectations. I think there are a lot of people that buy the "on sale" oil of the shelf, continually switching back and forth and have very impressive engine life.
To say an engine was destroyed because oils were mixed just doesn’t follow the trend that we see on this site.
To say that it is possible, yes it is possible, probable, no. I could say that maybe those failures were caused by a bad batch of oil from the factory. Is it possible, absolutely anything is possible, is it probable, not at all. We can play these games and run around the tree all day long on what is possible.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The moon is made of bleu cheese. Have you proven otherwise? You have not tested the soil of the moon and we have not visited the moon. It was a product of Hollywood and not a real moon landing.
ufo.gif

Actually the moon is covered in deuterium and tritium dust along with different types of rock underneath. this has been "proven."

If you were trying to raise a "scientific" question, it was poorly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back