As said by a Ford engineer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the responsibility of the information provider to offer proof of his statements. They said it, they need to back it up.

It is NOT the responsibility of the information recipient to DISPROVE the provider's statement. One could spend their entire life attempting to disprove any crackpot, goofball claims spewed by whoever made them. Why bother? No purpose is served especially if the claim does not meet reasonable expectation (good point, Duffman77).

Every opinion is challengable. If the opinion-giver cannot support their statment or claim, they should be dismissed.

Quote:

It's possible - we've just never seen it. But why not give him the same scrutiny you give me? Where is HIS proof that this happens? He implies or rather says it will happen pretty much all the time. It seems to be an old "oil rule" from the days of yore. Yet we have never seen it. So why the free ride for him?

I never said don't question him. The only point I was trying to make was dont say he is "absolutely wrong" or the likes. Saying "all evidence points to the engineer's statement most likely not beign true" would be more appropriate.

While there may be additive, subtractive or even synergistic effects of mixing AW additives, what are the odds of a total cancellation of additives? One in a million? A 100 million? A billion? Sure it is possible, but odds have got to be staggering against it.

Quote:

Changing the oil from say Mobil to Shell and then to Pennzoil will have a negative effect on your engine from conflicting chemicals.

Vehicle and lubricant manufacturers design their products to safely intermix motor oils of the same general specification, in the same oil charge, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FIELD. The exceptions are few and far between. Many refiners go out of their way to declare this compatibility on their bottles.

Most motorists don't look for a exact brand for top off. They use whatever is on the station's shelf that is the correct API service and vis. That's the reality of the field.

I have no doubts this guy is what he claims. To my mind he thinks like a FoMoCo engineer circa 1990-2005: in an complete engineering vacuum with total ignorance and indifference to the service, maintenance and repair realities in the field.

Just ask the poor souls who have to work on them everyday.

Here's a thought, and I know it's a radical one on BITOG:

Why not trust the scientists and engineers who spent so much time developing and tweaking the oil to have the appropriate combinations and quantities of base oils and additives? After all, don't we have hundreds and even thousands of UOAs that prove they are pretty effective, too? Seems to me that the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence tells us that for the vast majority of car owners, mixing and blending and using additives is unnecessary.

And yes, I know that there are lots of people here who are going to come back with, "Well, I've mixed oils for 50 years on 87 cars and I've never had a problem." To which I would respond, "Hey, that's great. But guess what? Millions of people have NOT mixed oils for 50 years, and they've never had a problem either."

At the risk of being repetitive, I really don't think anyone has suggested that a person is going to destroy his engine by mixing oils or even using additives, at least from what I've read. I think all some of us are trying to say is why not just use it the way it's engineered to be used, unless you're having a specific problem that can clearly be addressed by mixing oils or using additives?

I don't know...just thinking out loud.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Simple - we have seen many, many purposely and not so purposely blended oils. Not one completely "canceled out" any AW properties. In fact some where improved.

Even looking at a year or two's worth of UOA's here will show that.

So that proves beyond any doubt that there are "no" two oils in the world that could have that happen if mixed? You have tested every SJ oil with every SM oil? You tested every SL oil with ever SH oil? Etc etc....Unless someone was really bored, i seriously doubt it has been proven.

So, once again, you have yet to prove anything and should admit it is at least possible.

The moon is made of bleu cheese. Have you proven otherwise? You have not tested the soil of the moon and we have not visited the moon. It was a product of Hollywood and not a real moon landing.
ufo.gif

Actually the moon is covered in deuterium and tritium dust along with different types of rock underneath. this has been "proven."

If you were trying to raise a "scientific" question, it was poorly done.

But has every spec of the moon been tested to prove this? If not, then it's not actually proven. This was the way I took the intent of the post.

I’ll borrow from Gary – his statement is “over zealous”. It’s based on feelings, and outdated ways of thinking….old oil lore as I stated before. It’s not scientific, so I fail to see the need for scientific responses. Responders should be as factual as possible with their posts, but technically no proof was given in the original statement, so responders are free to provide data or not.

If, for example, “the guy” (Engineer from Ford) would have posted a data based, double blind study on the effects of using multiple oil brands showing a total and unequivocal destruction of all anti-wear and extreme pressure additives…… well a mere “Bee. Ess.” response with no data or critical thinking would be on thin ice.

Also, I want to go on record as saying that randomly mixing oil and hucking them in you engine, may not be the best idea.

I'm in total agreement with Pablo.

As to this guy's status as a "Ford engineer"... that may well be. I'm not one to be particularly impressed with an engineering degree, though. It certainly proves that the guy in question is smarter than average (maybe even A LOT smarter than average)... and that he's likely at least competent in his field. It, however, does not make his statements gospel. I've dealt with enough engineering problems and associated engineered fixes to take any engineer's statements with a grain of salt.

That said, I'm about half-way through with my own mechanical engineering degree. Perhaps in three more years, any statement I make regarding Amsoil or Dexcool can be taken as 100% true and infallible? Watch out, Pablo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back