ARX in your manual tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone done a run with some AutoRX in their manual box? I'm thinking about putting 2oz in mine for the last thousand miles of the oil clean phase and just wondered if other people had tried it in their manual with noticeable results.

I believe the amount reccommended is 6oz for a transmission.

Why just 2 oz? Im not sure if such a small amount would do anything noticable.

There are a few reviews here in the "oil additives" section of people who put Auto RX in their transmissions. They would be tough to find though.
I know the reviews are posted on other websites also.

I plan on running a 6oz dose here in my Ford Taurus transmission here soon. From what I understand it does exactly what is advertised and really does clean things up quite a bit.

Yes, I used it in my S2000 transmission. The doseage is 2 ozs/quart of fluid. I used 3 ozs (1.75 qt capacity) for 1000 miles. I really didn't notice anything great until I put the new Honda MTF in there. My only concern about using ARX in the tranny was how it would affect carbon fiber synchros. No apparent problem at all. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I believe the amount reccommended is 6oz for a transmission.

Why just 2 oz? Im not sure if such a small amount would do anything noticable.

There are a few reviews here in the "oil additives" section of people who put Auto RX in their transmissions. They would be tough to find though.
I know the reviews are posted on other websites also.

I plan on running a 6oz dose here in my Ford Taurus transmission here soon. From what I understand it does exactly what is advertised and really does clean things up quite a bit.

I wanted reviews from people who have used it in their manual boxes not just the automatic guys. My SVT uses 2 quarts of fluid so I'm gonna put 2oz in and see what happens.

I've used it in an A32 Maxima. Only thing I noticed afterwards was the shifting turned smoother. Sometimes I'd have problems shifting into 2nd or 3rd for instance...had to try twice or thrice before it was successful. It solved that problem.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Anyone done a run with some AutoRX in their manual box? I'm thinking about putting 2oz in mine for the last thousand miles of the oil clean phase and just wondered if other people had tried it in their manual with noticeable results.

It is difficult for us who have used ARX in the tranny to provide you with the type of feedback you are looking for. Are you having any trouble with yours that made you decide to consider using it (leaks, shifting problems, want to change to a different fluid)? Or are you using it for preventive maintenance and nothing is really wrong, that you are aware of?
I think that would help us provide inputs to your specific needs.

I'm looking to change to a different fluid and eliminate a 2-3 shift issue I sometimes have. I was just wondering if people did use it in their manual gearboxes since it always seems to be the auto guys that speak up.

Based on previous experience or do you just not like the product? Royal Purple lube will going in to replace the Ford Honey thats in there right now.

Dyoel182 -
A manual trans is not an internal combustion engine with carbon and burnt fuel residues.
It is not subjected to high heat like an engine.
It should have no need for deep cleaning.

mechtech2 -

I realize what a manual transmission is. I can spare 2oz and 1000 miles to give it a rinse so I'm gonna do it. I was looking for anyone else had done it and wasnt looking to get talked out of it.

I'm gonna back mechtech2 here. You're asking for folks opinions on using a product primarily heralded as a combustion engine cure-in-a-bottle in a manual trans. It's an unusual question.

I'd put a good MT fluid in there and not dump cleaners into a unit that likely doesn't need cleaning.

M

Manual transmissions do have hot spot. Lets not forget bushings, bearings, and the gears themselves.

Gearboxes do breathe. If condensation, humidity.... is an issue where you are, you could have some moisture in the fluid or in the tranny. If the gearbox is vented, typically unfiltered air, is burped and ingested during normal heat cycles. Whatever is in that air is now in your transmission.

I see no need for Autorx anywhere! But, if you have the ounces to spare, top off your gearbox prior to its next service. It can't hurt. And, the lanolin esters might do a little cleaning. It might be a good prep for your new fluid.

MMO, and even an ounce or two of any engine flush, can be used the same way to help prep the gearbox for your new fluid.

Originally Posted By: meep
I'm gonna back mechtech2 here. You're asking for folks opinions on using a product primarily heralded as a combustion engine cure-in-a-bottle in a manual trans. It's an unusual question.

Why is it unusual? They have an application for transmissions and power steering systems but I never saw much about people using their manual transmission directions.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have used ARX in my S2000. It has a short throw 6 speed with carbon fiber coated synchros. It's probably the smoothest and easiest transmission to shift that I have ever driven in the last 45 years. The problem has always been that the new fluids start out working great when first filled, but the shifting tends to get more notchy after about 3-5K miles. Some owners have reported even sooner with many brands of comparable fluids. Since I had already been using ARX for other purposes with great results, I decided to put 3 ozs of ARX (1.75 qt capacity) in the tranny. I drove it 1000 miles and filled with new Honda MTF. This fill has been in there for 11 months and over 5K miles now, with no indication that I need to change the fluid again yet. I'm so programed that this should be done by now, that I bought 2 more quarts of MTF 3 months ago, figuring the notchiness would come back any day now.
Did ARX do anything to help my tranny? I don't know for sure, but I hope so. Maybe it cleaned off some film/debrie that was preventing the MTF from fully lubricating the synchros. That's pretty much what ARX claims it will do for most any automotive lubricated component.

Do any of the S2000 guys use other fluids like Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple? Us SVT guys have started going to the Royal Purple because its $10 a bottle and not thick like the $25 Ford Honey fluid. I'm not sure what I'll find when I dump this fluid since it will be my first time since I got the car but I'm wondering if it will be golden brown or plain red fluid if the shop got cheap and lazy.

Dyoel - You asked, and I answered.
You should have told us previously that you were unchangeable and saved us some time.

BTW, what exact effect is the ARx going to ave on the synchros when they are cleaned of the desirable and necessary friction modifiers previously and currently in the pores of the metal??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Do any of the S2000 guys use other fluids like Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple? Us SVT guys have started going to the Royal Purple because its $10 a bottle and not thick like the $25 Ford Honey fluid. I'm not sure what I'll find when I dump this fluid since it will be my first time since I got the car but I'm wondering if it will be golden brown or plain red fluid if the shop got cheap and lazy.

Pretty much all the MTF's known to man have been tried so far by S2000 owners. The consensus is that none of them last very long. That's OK because it only takes 2 quarts to do a change. I personally like the new Honda MTF the best so far (this is the 2nd or 3rd fill (I can't remember right now), especially after the ARX cleaning. This is the first time I've gone over 5K and haven't felt like I needed to change it yet.

When you change your fluid, it will look brand new. If it's never been changed, there might be some metal in it or on the drain plug from break-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back