ARX clean phase: 2,500 or 3,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen more than one person on here run the cleaning phase for 3,000 miles instead of the recommended 2,500. Just wondering if anyone has seen better results doing that. Im currently 2,000 miles in and wondering when to drain the current fill. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have seen better results running the clean/rinse phase out to 5K miles. But I have only done this in a reasonably maintained non-extremely-sludged engine.

So I would imagine that 3K would be better than 2.5K.

If you are doing it on a relatively clean engine with just minor buildup I would seriously consider running it to 5K with a filter change at 2.5K and a top-up. Works much better from my experiences!
wink.gif

The engine has 147,000 miles on it (2.4l twin cam 4 cylinder). As far as sludge, im not sure how bad the engine is really... the oil is still very clean, although i know that this doesn't necessarily mean anything. 5k miles might not be a bad idea though.

What make & year is the car?

I would run it out to 5K and just change the filter and top up at 2500 Miles. Trust me you will see very good results if the engine is dirty inside.

cheers3.gif

its a 1997 pontiac grand am se. so you recommend 5k miles for the cleaning phase, with a filter change at 2,500 miles... and the same process for the rinse phase?

Being a '97, that would just make me want to run it out to 5K even more...

And yes, I would do the 5K on both cycles with a filter change at 2500 miles each cycle.

Keep an eye on the oil level during the clean/rinse phase as some consumption may happen due to the cleaning process.

Also make sure your PCV valve is clean before starting the process and after the process.
wink.gif

At the tank of gas just before you are about to change out the oil from the clean/rinse phase cycles, I would run a Fuel System cleaner that contains PEA in it like Amsoil PI. I find it helps to dislodge stuff in the piston rings along with Auto-RX. (Just a way to get better results)

Good Luck
thumbsup2.gif

I run my vehicles 4-5,000 miles on both clean and rinse cycles with AutoRX. I do not believe my engines were sludge monsters........but I had zero problems doing that. No start up noise at all.

It looks like im gonna go 5,000 miles then on each phase, with a filter change at 2,500 miles each time
cool.gif
the car has always had some startup noise in the 14,000 miles that i've owned it... not sure hwy. hopefully the arx will work its magic!

The magic of Auto-Rx works best in the rinse phase. The oil may look clean now, but in the rinse phase it will get darker.

StevieC said:
I have seen better results running the clean/rinse phase out to 5K miles. But I have only done this in a reasonably maintained non-extremely-sludged engine.

I agree with StevieC that 5K in both clean and rinse phases would be optimal BUT if the motor has been neglected I would stick with the instructions on the bottle.

Frank doesn't know what condition your engine is in. There's nothing wrong with Auto-Rx going the distance. It doesn't "care". As long as the host oil is up to the task ..fine. Changing the filter should offset most potential conditions that you might encounter.

..but as you can see, this adds but one more layer of "conditional usage" that needs to be explained for the 999th exceptional unique exclusive .... and that it may appear in conflict with previous advice that was attempting to simplify and streamline the procedure into a "one size fits most" package.

..and you're back to square one
21.gif
grin2.gif

G'Kar encountered such problems

Amen Gary A. This is the reason for the mileage limits suggested by ARX. BITOG is viewed by the general public. There are folks out there with sludge buckets in need of help. For ARX to say run the product in a sludge bucket for 5000 miles is just not right for the general public. Perhaps on a second application the mileage could be increased. With respect to the maintenance dose run by many, the sky is the limit only determined by the host oils capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back