ARX ’89 Mazda 626 166K+ Pizza Delivery Car + Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
’89 Mazda 626 166K+ Pizza Delivery Car

First let me tell you who I am (regular guy) and what I’m not (skilled mechanic.)

At 166,664 miles I changed oil and oil filter and transmission fluid. I bought 4 bottles of Auto-Rx to do a complete treatment and rinse in each. I added a 12oz bottle of Auto-RX to engine and 12oz to transmission.

I’ll post my “before pictures” first for those that want to skip the following details of my adventures.

http://www.auto-rx.com/pics/MVC-001F.JPG

Note for value cover picture: The gasket did not leak at the time of removal. I had tightened it down several months ago because it was weeping fluid. When the cover was removed I found the gasket had hardened to brittle bakelite and had to chip out with a screwdriver. New rubber seal will make it easier to put on and remove for future pictures.

http://www.auto-rx.com/pics/MVC-003F.JPG

http://www.auto-rx.com/pics/MVC-005F.JPG

Note for other pictures: the car had been used, abused and neglected with infrequent oil changes, ran hard with low oil (okay probably with low dirty oil) I don’t know whether to be embarrassed or excited. This is the first time I ever took off a valve cover.

I’m a 47 year old gray head with soft hands who for the past 6 years has made his living talking on the telephone from his home office. (I know tough life in Florida; someone has got to do it. I can feel the empathy) My ’89 Mazda has sat for the better part in the driveway, maybe driven 100 miles a month as our extra utility car. Well times are a changing’… and the past years with major family medical expenses (wife breast cancer, double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, multiple reconstruction surgeries = 3 years cancer survivor YEAH! = Mayo Clinic wants their money sooner than later) add the 9/11 event and the economy (stupid) my business was dragging on the bottom. You got to do what you got to do to provide for your family. I had to earn some good fast extra money at night so I could continue to work days and just to get back to stable financial ground. Pizza Delivery fit the profile, nights, no major responsibilities or decisions to drain brain power, deliver pizza, give dog a Milkbone biscuit treat, owner smiles, gives you money and nice tip, more deliveries…sweep and mop floors, go home, start over.

This past year I have put on more than 30K miles at about 100-125 miles a night. These are pizza delivery miles, a lot of stops, fast starts, turns, reverses and speed bumps for 18 to 25+ deliveries and hustling for tips. Well the car, after basically sitting for over 3 years you can imagine the leaks and performance. I’m not a wrench turner or skilled mechanic, but out of necessity, I borrowed the neighbor’s tools, jacks and ramps, bought a Haynes manual and found a patient automotive parts store professional.

I currently put in about 2 quarts of oil a week and top the transmission. The car smokes a little; I’m not back there so I only see it on occasions, sluggish and rough, the transmission slips. I believe the front and head seals are leaking, popcorn popper sound in the top of the engine (valves/lifter?) I plead ignorance.

About 6 months ago I started adding Lucas products in transmission, engine and gas. Great $tuff and I always saw improvements some leaks stops or slowed, transmission shifts okay without slipping for awhile, but the improvements are always diminishing. I don’t’ look forward to an engine or transmission refurbishing. Although I won’t be driving likes this forever, I can’t afford in time or money for a major component breakdown. (this past Sunday night my good neighbor Gary towed me out of Sawgrass Country Club (yes golfers, the one of the Player Club Championship) with a dead starter.

I’ve become fond of my car again after spending so many miles and nights in it (a lot of windshield thinking and business planning time) and my topsey turvey world appears to leveling out. I decided (intuition) that there was too much crud in my engine and transmission and I probably needed a fresh start before I needed to plan or avoid any major refurbishing work. I did quick Google search for DIY engine cleaner refurbisher, etc., and saw a lot of the same type of stuff I saw at the auto store. I’m tight with my money, not an impulse buyer and not easily swayed. I have to see and feel to believe.

I came across auto-rx.com site. I viewed the web site and the forum. I read Frank’s (?) reply to a message that wasn’t as verbose as mine, but was direct and he stated that the product did what was stated and the guarantee was one of “mutual trust.” That’s the way I do business.

You have to understand I don’t make this type of purchase, I ponder and I agonize. My wife gets soooo… mad at me. But she’s a keeper for 23 years and I love her. And you do what you have to take care of your family. Money is tight. I bought 4 bottles. The product arrived the next day as promised. Good Start!

I’ll keep you posted with pictures, miles will add up quickly.

May you be happy. May you be well. Namasté, Tom

There's a guy somewhere in this vast ethernet who delivers newspapers in an early 80's rear wheel drive 626. He basically rebuilt it as it had no brakes, worn clutch, etc. and he goes through a tank of gas a night. Lest you think your car is old there's a much older one in similar duty.
smile.gif

Keep up the reversing of your car's aging and keep us up on its trials and tribulations.
cheers.gif

quote:

I’m not back there so I only see it on occasions

ROFL

From the photo's the engine does not look that bad at all. Auto-Rx is good stuff! I sure hope it helps! THe pinging is probably deposits on the piston. If you have not already done so you should adjust the valves if the lash is adjustable! With 166,000 miles the lash is surely out of adjustment.

After you are done with Auto-Rx you should consider switching to a nice thick oil. SOmething like Pensoil LongLife 15W40, Delo 400 15W40 or Delvac 15W40 would help with consuption, ring sealing and cushion the parts better.

P.S. I am glad to see that your wife is in remission!!! Good Luck and God Bless!!

[ January 23, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back