Article - "What is Your Oil's Impurity-holding Capacity (IHC)?"

I found this a pretty interesting article, so I just thought I'd pass it along.

I especially like the writer's suggestion for new testing, "Despite the fact that there is not currently a standardized test protocol to provide a quantifiable measure of IHC, it still can be referred to in relative terms. To my knowledge, there’s also no standardized test method to quantify the soluble fraction of water in oil.

However, the concept of an oil’s dew point, saturation point or relatively humidity is abundantly clear to those performing oil analysis and formulating lubricants. The same applies to an oil’s relative IHC (instead of relative humidity), IHC (instead of saturation point) and impurity floc point (instead of dew point)."

Ed

likely most important is your filters capacity as they get smaller + owners want to cheap out using it for two oil changes!

The sump volume for oil shrank in the 1980's,1990's and into the 2000's and then seemed to turn around and head the other way. Many foreign vehicles had 4 liter sumps back in the day and I don't think anything holds less than 5 or 6 nowadays. VW paid the price with sludged engines, small sumps and longer intervals were the kiss of death for many engines. Better oil and more capacity probably negates "IHC" to an extent.

larger sumps prolly help with recommended longer changes to keep oil healthy longer. my 2001 Audi TT 225Q aka 225 hp has a 4.25 qt sump + now at 300 hp + tq i use the better costlier real synthetic redline oil. newer vw-audis have 7 qt capacity, but have to deal with dirty DI as well. extend oil changes prolly shorten engine life, but thats marketing less upkeep like other lifetime NOT fluids!!

Back