Article on the use of thin oils and why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve owned two Mitsu cars. A 92 Expo and a 2000 Montero Sport. Both were excellent. The Expo had the 1.8 4 cylinder engine. That thing ran forever.

That 1,8 Expo shares the block with my engine. It’s the Mitsubishi 4G3 engine family.
They just changed the cylinder head design from an OHV design with flat tappet rocker arms, manual ignition timing and a carb to a fuel injection model with hydraulic lifters. That must have happened somewhere around the mid/late 80s...
smile.gif

I think the carbureted version base models were never available in the US because of the californian emissions standards at the time and the lack of power.
At least they seem to last quite forever and if you are patient and really flooring it for minutes straight you can get it up to 115 mph on the highway, but I never do that because I prefer cruising at around 70mph...

In a documentary video that I watched about mechanics in Africa they rebuilt a gasoline Mitsubishi engine of besaid 4G3 family (without power tools) that serviced more than 20 years as a bush taxi after it came to Africa and put down summed up over 2 million km according to the owner. They rebuilt it because it was so worn that it burned tons of oil, but it still ran.

Originally Posted By: Mitsu_Joe
That 1,8 Expo shares the block with my engine. It’s the Mitsubishi 4G3 engine family.
They just changed the cylinder head design from an OHV design with flat tappet rocker arms, manual ignition timing and a carb to a fuel injection model with hydraulic lifters. That must have happened somewhere around the mid/late 80s...
smile.gif

I think the carbureted version base models were never available in the US because of the californian emissions standards at the time and the lack of power.
At least they seem to last quite forever and if you are patient and really flooring it for minutes straight you can get it up to 115 mph on the highway, but I never do that because I prefer cruising at around 70mph...

In a documentary video that I watched about mechanics in Africa they rebuilt a gasoline Mitsubishi engine of besaid 4G3 family (without power tools) that serviced more than 20 years as a bush taxi after it came to Africa and put down summed up over 2 million km according to the owner. They rebuilt it because it was so worn that it burned tons of oil, but it still ran.

Mine ran on a steady diet of Castrol GTX for the first 160,000 miles then my brother and his kids who took the car over ran it to over 250,000 when the transmission finally conked out. Besides oil changes, the occasional tappet adjustment plus plugs was the only maintenance done over its life.

Originally Posted By: Mitsu_Joe
Yes, sir!
laugh.gif

That's the nicest 30 years old car ever. Great job!

Originally Posted By: Mark72
My 2017 pacifica recommends 0w20. Is my engine going to wear out faster?

Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back