Article: Most Americans make less than $20/hr

Status
Not open for further replies.
ratio-of-average-to-median-income.png

Seems the guys at the top are stretching the average "up" more than the welfare types at the bottom are bringing it "down".

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I bet it is less than 15$/hr.

The vast majority of the "middle class" will be gone in thirty years.

It has little to do with skill set today, it is the
scurge of Globalism that is to blame.

If you allow your country to compete with countries of people that are essentially serfs and wage slaves (China) you too will
end up the same.

America is going backwards, and will probably be a developing country in the next three decades or so. I would say the US will look almost exactly like Brasil, and that is NOTHING to brag about.

Bingo!!!!!

We are plummeting to a 3rd world labor market as the ruling elite make money in the developing markets in China, Korea, India, and Mexico.

The purpose of NAFTA was to crush the US middle class.

Politicians act like they don't understand the stagnation within the middle class when they caused the problem.

It's worldwide income redistribution.

I remember years ago a Presidential candidate saying listen ...hear that sucking sound, it's the sound of jobs disappearing to Mexico. He lost the election.

I personally think the world's population is expanding at a faster rate then job become available. That and the fact that we keep producing things overseas just for the sake of saving a dollar but at a cost of an American losing a perfectly good job.

I didn't even graduate high school back in my day. I got a GED in 10th grade and got the heck outta there, after I realized that it's a HUGE waste of time. The average day consisted of;

Class 1: PE - walking around the track because we were allowed to walk instead of jog, or play basketball, football, etc for an hour or so.

Class 2: computer class - do your work within 15 minutes and then play video games for an hour or so.

Class 3: reading / writing - write an essay about something and then you can read a good (I read car magazines) for an hour or so.

Class 4: math, science or history - actually learn a thing or two.

Then we went home and the same process repeated itself.

I don't know how things are today but back then, at the age of 16 I realized that I'm wasting my time in school. I started my own online business with the help of my parents and make a pretty good living while sitting on the couch all day long.

Not everyone has an opportunity like that, so Im not shocked when I hear of people not making squat after college.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
liberal arts and what not which means nothing.
liberal arts means you have better chance of working at startbucks thats it.

^^This times a million!! Only job a liberal arts degree will guarantee you is a cashier job at Macy's or Dillard's. But of course colleges will never tell you that because all they care about is getting their parents' overpriced tuition money.

The older I get the more I would like to go back to school and take some libby arts classes. For fun. But out of pocket money, earned from... a high paying degree.

Boy did I luck out and pick a good field when I went to college. Never deviated, never thought about dropping out, never changed course. And I was clearly pushed along by the "you must go to college!"

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I bet it is less than 15$/hr.

The vast majority of the "middle class" will be gone in thirty years.

It has little to do with skill set today, it is the
scurge of Globalism that is to blame.

If you allow your country to compete with countries of people that are essentially serfs and wage slaves (China) you too will
end up the same.

America is going backwards, and will probably be a developing country in the next three decades or so. I would say the US will look almost exactly like Brasil, and that is NOTHING to brag about.

Bingo!!!!!

We are plummeting to a 3rd world labor market as the ruling elite make money in the developing markets in China, Korea, India, and Mexico.

The purpose of NAFTA was to crush the US middle class.

Politicians act like they don't understand the stagnation within the middle class when they caused the problem.

It's worldwide income redistribution.

I remember years ago a Presidential candidate saying listen ...hear that sucking sound, it's the sound of jobs disappearing to Mexico. He lost the election.
It is finally on the news that the voters are stupid.

Some of you folks need to accept the reality that globalization cannot be regulated away by US (or any) government. If we close our markets then other countries retaliate and close their markets. The US is one of the largest exporters in the world and we are critically dependent on open markets.

Labor markets will flow to where labor is cheapest - there are no regulations that can stop that. 60 years ago factories in the US could hire uneducated low skill workers and pay them a living wage only because the communications and transportation systems were too primitive to support globalized factory production.

So please pay attention here - inexpensive high speed communications, the WW internet, and ultra efficient ocean and train cargo transportation are 99% to blame for labor/jobs flowing to low cost labor countries. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing any politician or gov regulation can do to stop globalization of labor. It is analogous to gravity in physics.

If you want an above average living wage you need to acquire some valuable knowledge and skills and then invest and work to keep them current - that's reality in our current global economy.

And yes a rapidly increasing world population means that the supply of labor is increasing very rapidly. Fortunately demand for goods and services is also increasing for the same reason so it tends to balance things out. All things being equal real increases in productivity over time is what actually drives increases in standard of living.

btw - if you want an example of what happens when a country restricts its labor markets and severely limits immigration - take a look at Japan - they have been in a never ending recession for 12 years and counting with no end in sight.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

Before the elite decided that they were going to force
"globalism" on the public the USA was an economic powerhouse that produced almost everything anyone could have ever needed.

You've obviously never heard of tariffs, have you?

I don't mind competing with other countries that have a similar
economy (Western Europe, Japan, Canada, ANZ. But trying to
compete with slave wage countries where the population are treated as serfs is only going to bring down your own country to the same level, and NO I don't want to live in a place like China, or Viet Nam, or Honduras.

I remember Ross Perot well and it is a travesty that he pulled
out of the race he had a serious chance of winning, I believe he and his family may have been threatened with bodily harm if he didn't pull out.

Last edited:
I'm salaried. My hourly pay rate has taken a hit (and always has, but more here lately) due to the amount of "casual" overtime that is expected to get the job done. Some of my peers take their work home with them to do in the evening after working 10-12hr days. Those are all hours worked, for the same money, reducing the hourly rate. It's the nature of the beast, not complaining, I make more than I thought I ever would when I was in college. We won't go into the work / life balance thing. The article was short on details, but did state that the data included all workers, not just those paid by the hour.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

Before the elite decided that they were going to force
"globalism" on the public the USA was an economic powerhouse that produced almost everything anyone could have ever needed.

You've obviously never heard of tariffs, have you?

I don't mind competing with other countries that have a similar
economy (Western Europe, Japan, Canada, ANZ. But trying to
compete with slave wage countries where the population are treated as serfs is only going to bring down your own country to the same level, and NO I don't want to live in a place like China, or Viet Nam, or Honduras.

I remember Ross Perot well and it is a travesty that he pulled
out of the race he had a serious chance of winning, I believe he and his family may have been threatened with bodily harm if he didn't pull out.

Nonsense indeed...

1. Sorry but it is irrelevant who you think are appropriate countries that the US compete with. No country gets to choose their competition in a modern globalized labor market.
2. Tariffs are exactly the kind of regulation that does not work today and exactly what causes global market segments to close. Artificial protectionist trade barriers do not work in the long run. Tariff regulations are never one way only (there is always tit for tat retaliation) and it always causes some other harm to the very economy they are "designed" to protect. See Japan for example of what not to do regarding tariffs unless you want an endless recession.

The US can keep a high standard of living ONLY one way - by producing high value, high skill, highly productive workers that command higher than average wages on the global labor market. Yes that means we have to compete and EARN our high standard of living. This means our education system must be overhauled and our young people's culture needs to start honoring and celebrating achievement instead of stupidity, geed, and laziness. NO amount of whining, complaining and hand wringing about regulations and tarrifs is going to change that reality.

Last edited:
IMHO its crazy not to attend 2-4 year college of any sort and work your tail off to get into a quality grad school. If you pick a decent major like computer science/engineering/nursing you are guaranteed at least $25-$35/hr job at least to start around here with 4 year degree.

I am amazed to see some folks complain on the board about this stuff and not just take the step of training further. I cannot afford it yet I drive a whole fleet of vehicles(being judgy from vehicle list).

Originally Posted By: rjundi
IMHO its crazy not to attend 2-4 year college of any sort and work your tail off to get into a quality grad school. If you pick a decent major like computer science/engineering/nursing you are guaranteed at least $25-$35/hr job at least to start around here with 4 year degree.

I am amazed to see some folks complain on the board about this stuff and not just take the step of training further. I cannot afford it yet I drive a whole fleet of vehicles(being judgy from vehicle list).

Excellent points, I am in complete agreement. My daughter has worked through becoming a Nurse, it was a long hard road. But the rewards are substantial, and IMO worth it.

Vehicle lists always amuse me...

I disagree. I've known alot of people who had to start working at a very young age to support themselves (in some cases even their parents and brothers/sisters),some had to have multiple jobs. They didn't have rich parents and/or didn't qualify for tuition grants,etc. Everyone's situation is different. Some adult children (18+) have the luxury of wealthy parents who support their lifestyle while others had to move out on their own and start paying rent,bills,etc at a very young age. And then there are those who took out ridiculously expensive high interest student loans because they didn't have rich parents and are now having their pay garnished to pay back their student loans (after having to move back home with their parents). Everyone's situation is different.

My nephew is studying political science at FSU. Drinks beer, likes to party, goes to all the Seminole games and has a 4.0 GPA. Not much career field options with a Mickey Mouse degree. Currently drives his mom's Lexus IS250, nice kid but is a daydreamer out of touch with reality.

The more difficult degree to obtain = greater salary / earning potential.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Excellent points, I am in complete agreement. My daughter has worked through becoming a Nurse, it was a long hard road. But the rewards are substantial, and IMO worth it.

Vehicle lists always amuse me...
A 4 year degree in basket making doesn't cut it anymore.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

Nonsense indeed...

1. Sorry but it is irrelevant who you think are appropriate countries that the US compete with. No country gets to choose their competition in a modern globalized labor market.
2. Tariffs are exactly the kind of regulation that does not work today and exactly what causes global market segments to close. Artificial protectionist trade barriers do not work in the long run. Tariff regulations are never one way only (there is always tit for tat retaliation) and it always causes some other harm to the very economy they are "designed" to protect. See Japan for example of what not to do regarding tariffs unless you want an endless recession.

The US can keep a high standard of living ONLY one way - by producing high value, high skill, highly productive workers that command higher than average wages on the global labor market. Yes that means we have to compete and EARN our high standard of living. This means our education system must be overhauled and our young people's culture needs to start honoring and celebrating achievement instead of stupidity, geed, and laziness. NO amount of whining, complaining and hand wringing about regulations and tarrifs is going to change that reality.

Yes, the above is indeed nonsensical.

I don't recall We The People having ANY say in whether or not
a globalist agenda was in our best interest, heck, even in
Western Europe the peoples of those countries had some say in whether or not their countries became a part of the EW.

Here in the USA the people had NO say in NAFTA, GATT, or WTO agreements, not that those organizations are even
legally permitted by Constitutional Law to make regulation over
the US, which they now do.

You avoided that historical FACT that the US in the past has literally produced anything and EVERYTHING that would be needed to
drive a healthy economy. It is historical fact that the US can be well off and extremely healthy with a NON-global economy.

Since We The People didn't have a say in this "global economy"
AND just as importantly the trade agreements that came along with it are ILLEGAL AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL in law and spirit of the law,
I will indeed always be against it as any intelligent and considerate citizen would be. The problem is that most of the citizens in the US have become serf like and can't see the forest through the trees about the situation. But that also comes from
the indoctrination they receive at the hands of the educational system, gov't, and media. All are controlled by the money changers, that are a plague upon the nation.

Not everybody is cut out to do code or run X-ray machines. We still need folks to build bridges and repair roofs. But all those work with your hands jobs got outsourced so the Wall Streeters could make a little more that quarter.

Sounds like there's a lot of consensus that globalization and financialization have wrecked the economy for us regular folks. How to fix it is another story, though...

Nonsense indeed...

Yes, the above is indeed nonsensical.

I don't recall We The People having ANY say in whether or not
a globalist agenda was in our best interest, heck, even in
Western Europe the peoples of those countries had some say in whether or not their countries became a part of the EW.

Here in the USA the people had NO say in NAFTA, GATT, or WTO agreements, not that those organizations are even
legally permitted by Constitutional Law to make regulation over
the US, which they now do.

You avoided that historical FACT that the US in the past has literally produced anything and EVERYTHING that would be needed to
drive a healthy economy. It is historical fact that the US can be well off and extremely healthy with a NON-global economy.

Since We The People didn't have a say in this "global economy"
AND just as importantly the trade agreements that came along with it are ILLEGAL AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL in law and spirit of the law,
I will indeed always be against it as any intelligent and considerate citizen would be. The problem is that most of the citizens in the US have become serf like and can't see the forest through the trees about the situation. But that also comes from
the indoctrination they receive at the hands of the educational system, gov't, and media. All are controlled by the money changers, that are a plague upon the nation.

History?...really..sheesh..The US has been a net exporter for most if not all of its history and today is just as dependent on world markets as it ever was....sorry but I won't debate political agendas and misc half-informed conspiracy theories - too much like fighting a drunk...

My assertion is that there is plenty of opportunity in the US even in an open highly competitive global economy for those who are not afraid to work and EARN the high demand skills and knowledge that provide a good living. A good friend earned 2 masters degrees at night while working a full time high pressure job. Today he earns 10-15X the $20/hour average rate. Clearly he was not afraid of hard work and investing in his future. Meanwhile I know others that went home every night after work and watched TV and drank beer for 25 years, completely ignoring the realities of the changing world - guess what has happened to their wages and financial security.

Last edited:

History?...really..sheesh..The US has been a net exporter for most if not all of its history and today is just as dependent on world markets as it ever was....

Yes and our natural resources have been available from the get-go. Fish off the Gulf of Maine, then huge trees for the British Crown's Navy masts. Then cotton, coal, gold, oil, solar, water, dirt, we've always had plenty.

We've also had brains-- the guy who set up the mills in Lowell MA and similar stole the plans in his head from England. This was a huge deal, the same thing the Chinese are doing now, stealing intellectual property. He let us add value to the cotton balls we were picking by weaving them into cloth and made the US vertically integrated for the big bucks.

It's not democracy or capitalism that makes us an economic powerhouse, it just let us burn through what we've had somewhat quicker.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back