Article about Cummins new V8 for the Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan trucks needs to stand out with something as going for profitable niche is where they need to be not mass market. Hopefully an efficient affordable diesel helps it.

If Cummins holds to previous form, the engine will be way overdesigned for powering a 1/2-ton truck. It won't be very long before owners are hotrodding them to 500HP & 700 ft*lbs. But if they can resist the temptation to modify the engine, it will probably outlast 3 of the trucks.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how this develops.

It will be an instant sell out like the RAM 1500 diesel.

That engine would work well in the big Nissan/Infiniti SUV.

I wish Toyota USA would get on the bandwagon with diesel power.

I could see a diesel Land Cruiser in my future if they would bring it here.

If Nissan puts that big diesel engine in their full size light duty pickup trucks then the secret will be out, that is that they have such a truck for sale. It's true that they sell such a truck. I saw one on the road, last year. With this new engine we're going to see them, everywhere.

I guess it will be a heavy 1/2 ton package, similar to the F150 HD payload packages where they are in the 3/4 ton area in actuality. Doubtful that it will just go into their 1/2 ton without significant capacity upgrades. It's not like they don't already make a 3/4 ton+ series with their vans so they can definitely do it.

I wish they just made them with a little less power and more MPGs

My bmw diesel was setup with sequential turbos. lag was basically nonexistent. Owners of this monster will like it. I think modders not so much because of the turbo set up.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Interesting to see how this develops.

It will be an instant sell out like the RAM 1500 diesel.

That engine would work well in the big Nissan/Infiniti SUV.

I wish Toyota USA would get on the bandwagon with diesel power.

I could see a diesel Land Cruiser in my future if they would bring it here.
I read somewhere that this same engine is coming to the Tundra, not sure about the Sequoia. I would consider a Tundra with that engine, I'm not a big Nissan fan.

Cummins had a compound turbo on their 855 cubic inch 6 cyl engine in the 1970s. Intake charge cooling was important.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I wish they just made them with a little less power and more MPGs

+1; ford ranger with the perkins, like in the 1980s.

I used to really like Cummins when I was running their N-14 engines. After my experience with 2 of their ISX engines, I am loath to ever have anything Cummins in a small or large truck again. Besides, I am game for inline diesels. Never been fond of V diesels from anyone.

Toyota was pretty much ready to go with 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups, and they had a new diesel engine designed by Isuzu for them. Then 2008 happened, and for a while, even sales of 1/2 ton pickups were dismal. Toyota put their plans on the back-burner. If Toyota thought it would be a profitable venture going forward, they could be back in business with them in very short order.

With DEF, I would never consider a diesel. The technology just isn't there yet. We had all kinds of Cummins ISX problems and they continue to be problematic. Diesel fuel is more expensive, the diesel option is more expensive and gas engines are getting decent mileage and lasting a long time (as long as the truck lasts anyway). I don't see any advantage unless someone tows a lot, but most pickups I see are not really used as a truck most of the time (mine included).

Yawn, why is Cummins messing around with a light duty V8 in a Nissan.

Also the turbo control system is nothing new they have been using it in marine engines for over a decade. Volvo I think was the first to really make the dual turbo thing work really well when they were going for hole shot with the new electric diesels around 2000. Sunseeker wanted to make their boats pop when you fire walled the throttles.

I love Cummins QSB and QSM's and plan on getting a set in my next boat. Nothing runs better than a Cummins except a Volvo the only difference is Volvo parts are to expensive to buy.

Last edited:
I suspect this motor was supposed to be for the new Ram 1500 but Fiat wants to do everything in house so Cummins got the boot. They shopped it around and Nissan probably can us it cheaper than making one of their diesels US emissions compliant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
For a Company like Nissan, That makes great Diesel engines "In-House".....Why in the world would they outsource a Cummins??

Because Cummins is "cool" and it gets people excited. For "truck people", Cummins is a household name.

My 2003 Nissan has an engine that was shared with Renault, I'm a bit wishy washy on where and what which bit was designed, but they share.

Cummins has a factory in China, and I can buy a Foton Tunland 4x4 with Cummins diesel, ZF gearbox, and Dana differentials...for 55% the price of a Hilux, but made wholly in China, with namebrand "factory" components.

tempting ?

Yes, somewhat...throw Cummins, ZF, and Dana into a vehicle data sheet, and the fact that it's 100% Chinese construction makes it at least worth a look.

Very interesting.

Cat used the sequential turbos in the last few years that they were put in trucks but nothing fancy like this Cummins set up. I can't wait to see the new truck with that engine.

I hope they make it beefy. The factory settings may have torque limiting in the lower gears (my volvo does) but with the hot rodding potential...I could see lots of parts breakage.

Thanks for the article!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back