Around Kansas City, KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the area I live in around Kansas City, KS isn't much now but back in the day must of been booming. History of what's hidden in cities interests me more every year. You can almost tell the old corner grocery stores and gas stations that's been turned into houses. Back when they built buildings to last.. This is only a few alot of old churches in the area.

Still being used! Seen better days though..
IMG_0668_zpsc64ff688.jpg

IMG_0669_zpse2a9e9b9.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsba1343c1.jpg

Corner grocery store perhaps?
IMG_0671_zps8f3cc9ce.jpg

Old corner gas station..
IMG_0678_zpsd13f7a98.jpg

Another corner grocery store?
IMG_0680_zps88b44e6d.jpg

The Catholic Church and school in the area.. love the architecture!
IMG_0677_zpse7eda7dc.jpg

IMG_0679_zpse8345138.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsa2de3710.jpg

IMG_0675_zps91dcb8ad.jpg

IMG_0674_zpscdf7dd90.jpg

IMG_0673_zpsb9e065ee.jpg

IMG_0672_zps8e423238.jpg

Yeah I prefer the older buildings also. why were they so much more affordable back then?

I like the gas station, is there someone living there now?

I'd like to say less greed but not sure that's the case. I think the gas station is being used by a shade tree mechanic / storage.

Nice pics, I love the old stuff.

"Everything's up to date in Kansas City, they've gone about as far as they can go..."

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

"Everything's up to date in Kansas City, they've gone about as far as they can go..."

Excellent.. that sums it up!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

Too bad I can't live in Detroit.....love the old stuff downtown....

Nice pics!

Excellent pics of some fantastic buildings. They knew how to build them back then. The sad thing is, my guess would be those Churches are dying with a fraction of the membership they had "back in the day."

Do you know if the Lutheran Church in the first pic is Missouri Synod? I noticed it was founded in 1894 - that's the same year my Grandfather became a Missouri Synod Lutheran pastor.

I like that they had small lot sizes and reasonable sq ft minimums. Those corner buildings are cute. Now they want everything huge to make more tax $ and add suburban sprawl.

We have a fancy church here as well. Hard to imagine that stone being quarried, transported, and built by hand.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Do you know if the Lutheran Church in the first pic is Missouri Synod? I noticed it was founded in 1894 - that's the same year my Grandfather became a Missouri Synod Lutheran pastor.

They are Wisconsin Synod.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
So there's a Kansas City, MO and a Kansas City, KS?
I don't get why the one in Missouri is named Kansas City.

Yep, separated by a river.
Kansas City, MO is much larger than Kansas City, KS. I'm sure if the original founders had to do it all over again, Kansas City, MO would be named something different.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like that they had small lot sizes and reasonable sq ft minimums. Those corner buildings are cute. Now they want everything huge to make more tax $ and add suburban sprawl.

We have a fancy church here as well. Hard to imagine that stone being quarried, transported, and built by hand.

You've got that right. We don't particularly want a bigger house just a slightly bigger plot.

BTW - the latin inscription roughly translates: "This primary stone (cornerstone) placed August 9, 1925."

Thanks thought someone here would know a little Latin.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

They are Wisconsin Synod.

Interesting.. don't know much about the Lutheran religion.
Originally Posted By: Kruse

Yep, separated by a river.
Kansas City, MO is much larger than Kansas City, KS. I'm sure if the original founders had to do it all over again, Kansas City, MO would be named something different.

I thought Kansas City, MO was founded before KCK.. need to look up that history again. Both cities cover quite a bit area, KCMO has the highest population though.

Funny thing is this throws me. I was born in Kansas City MO but parents lived in Kansas City KS. Cities look neat in pictures, no recollection as I left there when I was one and lived abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back