Arizona admits traffic cameras revenue move

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet they would have us believe they are for our safety. Give any bureaucrat a way to generate revenue and they take to five steps too far.

Brits are so fed up with this, they have an underground movement on that destroys as many cameras as possible.

Police need to actually do the job they are paid for, not foist it off on cameras.

Dan

Arizona budget banking on speeders

By PAUL DAVENPORT, Associated Press WriterSat Jan 19, 6:57 AM ET

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano says the deployment of new photo radar or other speed enforcement technology on state highways is all about public safety. But her proposed state budget counts on the anticipated speeding fines to help erase a projected revenue shortfall.

The proposal, submitted to the Legislature late Friday, anticipates $120 million in revenue the first year, including $90 million in net income after expenses from the statewide effort. Even bigger dollar amounts are expected in future years.

The state faces a projected revenue shortfall of at least $1.2 billion in the fiscal year that starts July 1.

While some states use photo radar and similar technology on a limited basis in areas such as construction zones, experts said Arizona is in the vanguard of moving toward a widespread deployment of speed technology on highways.

"It wasn't designated primarily for revenue generation but since we have it (and) it works, we want to move statewide," Napolitano said. "We made that decision before the whole budget issue arose. Now we take advantage of it and use it for law enforcement highway safety purposes."

The governor's budget aides said Friday they could not immediately provide details on assumptions used to project the revenue estimate, including the numbers of expected violations.

Napolitano's plan needs approval by the Republican-led Legislature, and one key lawmaker expressed immediate opposition.

"I don't know whether Arizonans want to be policed by cameras," said Senate Transportation Chairman Ron Gould, adding that he plans legislation to require that voters decide the issue. "It smacks of Big Brother to me."

Proposals calling for even limited use of cameras have run into opposition in some states.

Maryland's transportation secretary on Tuesday told lawmakers that cameras in highway work zones would improve worker safety and reduce accidents, but lawmakers raised concerns on privacy, effectiveness and motive.

Arizona Automobile Association spokeswoman Linda Gorman said the 750,000-member group representing drivers supports photo radar as a way to improve traffic safety but not to help balance the state budget.

A year ago, Napolitano cited results from suburban Scottsdale's use of fixed cameras on a stretch of state freeway when she directed the state Department of Public Safety to begin researching the possible use of new speed enforcement devices.

An Arizona State University professor who studied the Scottsdale project found that it reduced speeding and accident rates. That system uses sensors embedded in the freeway to trigger cameras that snap photos of speeding vehicles. Motor vehicle records are checked to find the vehicles' owners, ultimately leading to citations for identified drivers.

Last edited:
And in another post about radar detectors people say they only promote breaking the law. My wife got a ticket this past year for doing 26 mph. Not 26 mph over the limit but 26 mph. People can run that fast. The posted speed limit on that stretch of road is 20 mph. Now, if you want to get picky she was speeding. But, this is a open road with no housing or buildings of any kind. The police sit at either end and write up tickets all day because the road is kind of a short cut around a series of lights and a railroad crossing. The speed limit on the approaching roads is 35 mph. It is a classic speed trap that brings in thousands of dollars to the local budget. This is why I have a radar detector.

Thats just like the seatbelt law, does anyone really think that government, local or otherwise, cares if we die in a wreck because we didn't have our seatbelt on??
It's a money making scheme period.
Although I do think it is a good idea to wear one...

Have never thought of seatbelt laws as "revenue raisers", more along the lines of enforced common sense.

Speed Cameras at the bottom of a long straight hill with a 20km drop in speed limit part way down are clearly such, when (as the advertising campaign tells us) "9 out of 10 speeding deaths occur on corners...where radar cameras don't work.

Seatbelts don't help you if you're only going 10 mph. I know a guy who was arrested for driving without one as he drove from one telephone pole to the next, as part of his job.

I dunno. If you don't like it, then... don't speed? I've never (knock on wood) gotten a speeding ticket in my life. I guess I'm not having any fun.
21.gif

2 out of the 3 times I've been booked for speeding, I've not been speeding.

(However I once got let off for 100MPH in a 50 zone, so I think I'm still sorta square)

Hmm ..ski masks would stop the identification of the driver. It appears to be a requirement of prosecution.

OTOH, it may get you stopped for other reasons.

ilan2.jpg

Originally Posted By: LAGA
And in another post about radar detectors people say they only promote breaking the law. My wife got a ticket this past year for doing 26 mph. Not 26 mph over the limit but 26 mph. People can run that fast. The posted speed limit on that stretch of road is 20 mph. Now, if you want to get picky she was speeding. But, this is a open road with no housing or buildings of any kind. The police sit at either end and write up tickets all day because the road is kind of a short cut around a series of lights and a railroad crossing. The speed limit on the approaching roads is 35 mph. It is a classic speed trap that brings in thousands of dollars to the local budget. This is why I have a radar detector.

Personally I smell "traffic calming", something that bugs me to the core.

One street complains about the traffic, because its, yup, the shortest distance between two points.

They put in all this junk-- 4 way stops, speed bumps, insanely low speed limits-- to try to detour traffic to parallel streets.

Then people on those streets complain and the cycle continues.

Usually the "winner" streets that get the most bumps are in the nice part of town, politically connected.

All this stuff does is waste gas and brake pads, and worsen congestion, because fewer cars can move through per minute.

Originally Posted By: Aldaris
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

What's going on in this picture? I see a horse's derrière

He lost his license due to speeding tickets.

The only time I can relate to - my wife was gigged with a camera in Canada - and they sent the whole works to me us the USA! A little friendly law enforcement - dollar exchange. You can't "take it to court"!

Friends said to ignore it...we paid it.....

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
If your insurance finds out you werent wearing your seat belt and were involved in an accident, you're screwed.

Is this a Canadian thing
54.gif
I've heard (decades ago) about it being a German or Euro thing.

I've never gotten a speeding ticket and I've driven 115,000 miles (most in Los Angeles, California). Just keep within 5mph of the speed limit and cops usually leave you alone.

Picture radar devices? ok, lets start a USA club that destroys these cameras. Maybe we can fly some of those British folk out here to show us how to do it. I mean no......

Santa Clarita, California has a lot of stoplight cameras - I visit the stores up there at night and you see those things constantly flashing. They (the city) has to make a lot of $$$ off those things. I'd get a license plate flash/picture preventor thing if they weren't so [censored] expensive.

Like one of the posters said - I'd rather have a human behind that ticket than a "computer."

My sister got busted by the stoplight camera. She took it to the judge and the judge agreed with her - it was just too close to tell so he let her go.

Down with traffic cameras!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The only time I can relate to - my wife was gigged with a camera in Canada - and they sent the whole works to me us the USA! A little friendly law enforcement - dollar exchange. You can't "take it to court"!

She must have been driving very fast. I like that the speed limit there is 100 miles per hour.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: Pablo

She must have been driving very fast. I like that the speed limit there is 100 miles per hour.

Huh? I never saw 100 mph in BC. 100 kph?

She was on a "country" arterial - 80 kph limit IIRC.

Ticket cameras are like the IRS. If you're not getting enough revenue you just make some adjustments.

In San Diego the accidents went up at several camera intersections. There was an uproar about the cameras and they were turned off for a while. The accident rate went down. They finally decided that the citizens had enough time to make their case and since the citizens did not agree with the city council it we determined that they were wrong and the cameras were turned back on. The accident rate returned to it's new higher normal state. And for the first time in a long time pedestrians have been picked off in the crosswalks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back