Are you supposed to use starter fluid every time? Or is it only for testing dead engines?

If you have a big old snot of something in the carb, the higher vacuum of a running engine might pull it through, vs a cranking engine.

My dodge w250 plow truck loses its prime every summer. First start of the winter takes about 20-30 seconds on the starter, pumping the mechanical fuel pump to get the gas back up into the carb. If I ran the truck off of starter fluid, this would go faster and be easier on my starter. But ether is expensive and my starter was $27 at Pep Boys. ;)

I've never needed starting fluid on any machine that was in good working order with a good fuel and ignition system. I've started many machines some as old as the 1940s in below 0 *F weather. If there are starting aids like block heaters, they should be used. I never understood the morons with diesel trucks who don't plug them in, and would rather sit there cranking for 20 minutes to see how well it starts. Use good fuel, anti-gel in the fuel, plug it in a few hours before you leave, and be on your way. If you need starting fluid, there is an issue with the engine.

Back