Are you more of an economy or power driver?

I am almost always an economy driver.

1. I rarely ever floor it or get to speed quickly.
2. I try to surf lights/ time lights if possible to avoid sitting at stop lights.
3. I usually drive vehicles that get good gas mileage.
4. I usually don't go more than 10 mph over the speed limit.
5. I don't use a remote starter or warm car prior to taking off.

How about you guys/gals?

Power but more **** or get off the pot. We're not out for a Sunday ****ing drive. I don't gun it from stoplight to stoplight but drive/move with a sense of purpose. I want to get to where I'm going and get back.

In town/city speeds, I drive the limit or a few over. Highways are 5 over and interstates are usually 7-10 over.

No abuse, but my car does earn the meticulous maintenance it sees. A Focus ST begs to be driven with some assertiveness. The Mustang is a cruiser, with power when it's needed for passing or short on-ramps. The truck....pointless to try. Big, heavy, highway gearing and tall tires. It gets the grandma treatment.

I am mostly an economy driver. Don't even own a v/8, even though I have 2 mustangs. Even those I rarely put the pedal to the metal. Actually the fastest vehicle I have right now is my Frontier with the 4.0 v/6.

I try to surf lights/ time lights if possible to avoid sitting at stop lights.
Pretty much everything you said but when I follow your point #2, my local drivers get REALLY mad. They like to run at 10mph over speed limit just to brake hard at the next light. We have about 8 lights within 2 miles stretch of road.

My car must be like 11 seconds 0-60, so it'll get the boot. I haven't driven for economy in a while. Places to be, things to do, so 10 over is my norm on the highway (on side roads I try to do the limit).

That said, I still manage about EPA highway estimate, largely because once up to speed, I stay there for miles at a time, or I'm on backroads with little start and stop.

I think by my sig you can tell.
1. Daily.
2. I try my best at this. Some require coasting, some require accelerating. Either way, not stopping is the goal.
3. Don't care. Especially now when we're putting less than half the amount of miles we used to.
4. ~85mph every commute and I peg 10 over when I'm not in a town. In smallish towns where it's 25mph-30mph, that's what I go. I'm not giving some Barney Fife LEO and his bloated budget town any of my money.
5. Usually. When hot or cold, I like to make the vehicle more comfortable before getting in. Not excessive by any means, but yes.

More for fuel economy than power. I like enough power but it's less important than even handling.
And since more and more vehicles all handle well today as compared to vehicles of my past, I am preferring ride over handling & power as well.

I mean, we get the best of all worlds today. You just need to find the vehicle that provides the balance that you're looking for. Years ago, if you wanted MPG, you got no power and if you wanted power, you got 6 MPG.

And the same if you wanted a good ride, you got absolutely no handling. But if you wanted a good handling vehicle, you got an atrocious ride...everyday!

Last edited:
Mostly economic and safe … but you do have to blow out the cobwebs to get on our freeway with high speed traffic mainly in the RH lane …

I mostly just cruise on 50 mph roads for most of my commute with a little highway. I'd normally do 10 over the limit, I'll throw it in sport mode on some twisty backroads but drive normally for the most part. I'll get 27-28 mpg for the most part which I feel is pretty decent for my car.

I tried hypermiling a couple of times but the fuel savings where almost unoticable and i am a power driver so i did not enjoy riding like that.
I also dont really care what the fuel costs are because as i said the difference for me was so small.

My car sees a lot of prolonged 120mph highway runs and except for public zones/towns citys etc.. i usealy drive around 20 mph too fast on non-highway roads.

It might cost a little more tyres and brakes but i do all of that myself so i am not really bothered by the costs.

Economy and safety always in my area if you are going 6 over they will pull you over sometimes 5 over or less too. And I can’t get in trouble if I do I’ll get my state inspection license revoked. They almost took it already since I got hit last week but they didn’t. Plus if it is raining and you are going the speed limit they like to write tickets as well because they consider that going too fast for road conditions and say you should automatically go 10 under if it is raining or not clear. So yeah I am definitely an economy driver I follow the rules, get good gas mileage. I do let my car warm up because that is what I have always been taught to do I just go out and start it and go back inside or start it up and wait in it. You’ll never catch me going faster than 5 over the limit either so I definitely consider myself and economy driver. Even on the backroads where most of my driving is and where they like to give tickets.

Back