Are you disappointed in the shear stability of most 5w30's?

However, even the most expensive 30 grade oils crash in the presence of fuel.

Why wouldn't they? Fuel dilution is a straightforward process of adding a low viscosity fluid to one with a much higher viscosity.

This whole "shear" thing is highly overblown for most passenger cars. Fuel dilution can be a much worse problem, and is not always accurately diagnosed by Blackstone either.

Yep … not stopping dilution, it happens. For what Blackstone charges I bought a Fumoto valve so I can swap a quart and keep going longer … Going in next change.

Yep … not stopping dilution, it happens. For what Blackstone charges I bought a Fumoto valve so I can swap a quart and keep going longer … Going in next change.

Fumotos are great. That's a good idea.

Why wouldn't they? Fuel dilution is a straightforward process of adding a low viscosity fluid to one with a much higher viscosity.

This whole "shear" thing is highly overblown for most passenger cars. Fuel dilution can be a much worse problem, and is not always accurately diagnosed by Blackstone either.

It's been said in the past that some oils form a better piston ring seal, helping to mitigate dilution into the oil. Some also prevent wear better under high fuel dilution by maintaining a stronger wear film when fuel is high.

This issue of shear is something of which I've only recently become aware, and I've been wondering how driving habits affect the process. Specifically, I drive very conservatively, rarely going above 2,000 rpm, and then usually with light throttle openings. Is shear less of a concern with that style of driving than with higher revs and wider throttle openings?

Also, my Camry has a simple engine in that there's no turbo, no DI. It seems (to me) then that the oil is not as stressed as it would be in engines with those features. Would shear, then, be less of a concern in such an engine?

Thanks!

This issue of shear is something of which I've only recently become aware, and I've been wondering how driving habits affect the process. Specifically, I drive very conservatively, rarely going above 2,000 rpm, and then usually with light throttle openings. Is shear less of a concern with that style of driving than with higher revs and wider throttle openings?

Also, my Camry has a simple engine in that there's no turbo, no DI. It seems (to me) then that the oil is not as stressed as it would be in engines with those features. Would shear, then, be less of a concern in such an engine?

Thanks!
Yeah … port injected and non boosted engines don’t suffer as much diluted oil …

Thanks!

What 4WD said. It's important to get the engine up to operating temp frequently and to get the oil hot.

Thanks!
Seems your driving style would be very gentle on the oil. Some engines are just tougher on the oil though.
I would be concerned with deposits if you never put your foot in it.

It seems that the 10w-30's have lower sales as time moves forward. Like the 10w-40's that are fading out now.

Thanks!
Your driving style is described as light load, which generally promotes long valvetrain and transmission life but less impact on oil longevity. Oil shearing happens more in engines with high oil pressures, oil injectors (for piston cooling), etc. Load does not affect oil pressure while RPM does, and if you're always under 2000 RPM then oil pressure really doesn't change all that much in *your* normal driving. Your driving style really does not affect oil longevity, assuming your engine is healthy, getting it to full temperature regularly and not short-tripping it too much. So for you, it's the design of the engine that is the main factor and non-turbo, non-DI Toyotas are generally easy on oil.
I suggest maybe once every 5 trips you romp on it when it's at full temperature. You don't have to hit redline but you should spool up the RPM and put some load on it. This will exercise your timing advance and performance features (including variable valves, if equipped). Doing this occasionally will keep things cleaner than babying it around all the time.

Your driving style is described as light load, which generally promotes long valvetrain and transmission life but less impact on oil longevity. Oil shearing happens more in engines with high oil pressures, oil injectors (for piston cooling), etc. Load does not affect oil pressure while RPM does, and if you're always under 2000 RPM then oil pressure really doesn't change all that much in *your* normal driving. Your driving style really does not affect oil longevity, assuming your engine is healthy, getting it to full temperature regularly and not short-tripping it too much. So for you, it's the design of the engine that is the main factor and non-turbo, non-DI Toyotas are generally easy on oil.
I suggest maybe once every 5 trips you romp on it when it's at full temperature. You don't have to hit redline but you should spool up the RPM and put some load on it. This will exercise your timing advance and performance features (including variable valves, if equipped). Doing this occasionally will keep things cleaner than babying it around all the time.

Thanks for that explanation. Fits with some other comments I've read. I'm scheduled for a longish highway trip later this week, so I'll give the ol' 4-banger a chance to flex it's muscle.

What 4WD said. It's important to get the engine up to operating temp frequently and to get the oil hot.

Oh, she gets up to full operating temp at least once-twice a week on some longish freeway trips, but the engine's barely turning 2,000 rpm at 65mph. I'll just put my foot into it a little further every now and then. Thanks for jumping in.

Agree. Overthinking and over obsessing.

This wouldn't happen to be a test result posted by Amsoil is it? Flame suit on:unsure:

I could be totally wrong here, and if so, I want someone to tell me. But.. Is not Mobil1 providing some base stock oils for AMSOIL? (Yes? No? They used to, but not anymore? Please educate me.)

I am not trying to lose any friends but I have used Redline oil sometimes and found it excellent. I have decided I'll probably never use Pennzoil.. still have to try Mobil. (Mobil 1 Synthetic if we are splitting hairs, not the Mobil Super 5000 at Target.) I'm sure I will one day.

Given that fuel dilution cannot - arguably - be prevented or mitigated by the choice of oil, is it a stretch to worry or seek the oils with the least possible shear? Honest question.

Last edited:
Back