Are you brave enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they design them to burn oil so you are adding it more often keeping the oil fresh. If so does the EPA allow that? I'd be changing the oil either way, even if I had to turn the thing over and shake the oil out.

Lawnmowers are already considered disposable by most people. I guess this is a bit better than the silly honda design that requires you to tip over the mower for an oil change.

Just got a snowblower that is probably 14 years old and has never had an oil change; It was only used casually because snow doesn't last long in Western VA. (got it from my parents) Some winters it wasn't even started.

I changed it out and put in RP 10W-30 API SN oil, so it should be dead by the end of the winter.... j/k.

I own one. Not a huge fan of it. The valve are noisy in it. I'm going to let the M1 run for a while in it. The oil stays very clean in the engine I should add.

I got one last month. Runs good, even in tall grass. I will dump the oil it came with at the end of the season, and put in a 10W30syn that I'll run tor a year or two; just checking it before each use.

Their oil chart looks strange.

Ivfz81u.gif

Why would dino 5w30 only be acceptable for use 40 degrees and below? These are all 30 weight oils at operating temps, right?

B&S feels 5w30 will flash off if run hard & hot.

I want to know who mows the lawn below freezing temps.
wink.gif

lawnmowers are NOT the only application for these engines.i have started my homebrew battery charger at -15f.
m1 0w40 made this a 2 pull start.
maybe changes were made to help these engines cope better with the abuse they see anyway from the average ope owner?
like increased sump capacity?
with any care whatsoever most engines outlast the deck they are bolted to anyway.

Where mowers go automobiles are soon to follow.

The future of car maintenance might just be 100K intervals for everything, engine fluids, filters, brakes, tires and anything else. They're already there for some of this and the rest is coming.

Just monitor the warning lights along with the telemetry to the factory/dealer that will only require a response if there's a problem.

This 100K service will be expensive but it will be a planned expense that the owner will know is coming. This would be a good time for the dealer to just sell the owner a new vehicle and be done with it. The new owner of this used vehicle will know from the telemetry what condition the vehicle is in and if it was every overheated or abused in any way.

Why should the owner of a car/SUV/pickup be bothered with a lot of nit picking details. They should just get in and drive and if the vehicle needs attention it will notify the owner/manufacturer/dealer with specific instructions.

There might then be a new website, "Bob is the warning light monitoring guy".

My son-in-law never changes oil in his self propelled mowers and they last for ~ 7 years and something else breaks or rusts through but, the B&S is still running. Go figure. Ed

And here I fog the mower and change the oil at the end of the season. Seems like a waste considering the new B&S engines only need the oil to be topped up. The fuel is more important than the oil I guess, as long as the oil level is topped up. I wonder if one of these machines will run as well as mine after close to 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back