Are you brand Loyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to be loyal to Mobil to the point I don't see the other brands when I go to buy oil. Like I don't even know there are other brands that might be "better." Talk about being institutionalized... Now I am thinking of just buying the cheapest stuff available that is certified which at the moment happens to be MC5000 and/or Wal-Mart SuperTech.

As for filters I have always felt I am never wrong when I use the factory filter from the dealership however I am not above using a wix, purolator or even a SuperTech filter. Biggest selling point with the factory filter and its probably stupid but its wrapped in plastic in the box. Never seen another filter in a parts store that does this, even the "premium" ones. Just a hassle going 7 miles to the dealership before they close. I have had anti-drainback valve failures in M1 filters (twice) and Bosch so I avoid those. Never had trouble using OEM, ST, STP, etc. More of case of not being brand loyal but just going with what works and avoiding what doesn't from personal experience.

I must say, Shell is persuading me to use more of their product line.

PYB -> PP-> PU.

3 really good oils.

I'm between brand loyal, and an oil whore myself. I fall into the small stash mib/on sale oils when these deals are to good to pass up. Other than that I'm loyal to Castrol, or Mobil 1... That's a statement if I have ever seen one. I have used Castrol conventional for years with great results, however I was not happy with most of their synthetic line until Edge came out, I know how great the GC is, however I didn't know this until I came here to this forum. Mobil 1 has made a great synthetic oil that I have considered top of the line for most of my driving life !! I have never tried Mobil drive clean, but from reading it's also a nice oil.

I'm a fool when I think of the money I spend on "synthetics" because I do it out of laziness to extend my OCI. Current fill in my car is Havoline I purchase on sale for around $1.50 a quart... I don't have good luck finding 5w-20 oils on clearance, however this stash of Havoline is 5w-20, and seems like a great oil !!

Not at all. I'll buy whatever is easy to get and reasonably priced. After reading a zillion BITOG threads I've concluded that they are all about the same for all practical purposes.

Not brand loyal. Im happy with Valvoline Synpower and MaxLife right now (believe it or not -- based on engine sound!) but not unwilling to change at all if I had a reason to.

Have been using YB in the summer and PP winter. Today I purchaced Mobil 5000 for my summer oil based on the recent comparison chart I read on this site.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Do you only run one kind of oil or an oil from only one company?

I tend to mix it up and try different brands.

Valvoline and/or Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-30 in my vehicles.

Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in my two push lawnmowers.

Not at all. I go with whatever I think is best going to work on my car, regardless of who makes it. I try to educate myself on which oils work best for which cars I have.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Not at all. I go with whatever I think is best going to work on my car, regardless of who makes it. I try to educate myself on which oils work best for which cars I have.

What happened to your Z24? That had the 2.4 Twin Cam right?

What brands have consistently been leaders in lubrication technology?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: shpankey

What happened to your Z24? That had the 2.4 Twin Cam right?

Yeah. I loaned it to a friend of mine and he admitted later he was hot-rodding it all over town and it now has a bad rod. It's not through the block but very close. I have it parked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back