Are you brand Loyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
There are a handfull of brands that make a good product . Those are what I purchace when on sale.

thumbsup2.gif

19.gif

As far as purchases go, no, I buy what's on sale and as close to free as possible.

As far as use goes, I try not to mix brands in one oil change, except to use up any stray half-quarts since my Malibu takes 4.5 quarts/change. The rest of the fleet uses a whole number, either 4 or 5 quarts.

I've been a Valvoline fan for a few years now. My vehicle seem to run well with the synthetic. I've be very happy with the oil.

But....because I like to do as little work as possible...and I only run about 10,000 to 12,000 per year...I plan on changing over to Mobil 1 EP 5w20 so I can go out to one year OCIs.

Last edited:
Semi brand loyal, there's a only 5 or 6 brands (be it motor, trans, or gear oil) that I tend to use in my vehicles.

1. Red Line
2. Pennzoil
3. Chevron & Havoline
4. Motorcraft
5. Mobil 1
6. Amsoil

I tend to stay away from Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, and house brands for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
There are a handfull of brands that make a good product . Those are what I purchase when on sale.

+1

These are my favorite brands: Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Chevron, Havoline, Peak, Shell ... I bought those when on sale and/or with rebate. Look like I'm not loyal to any brand.

right now I'm with Mobil

I gotta stay consistent because I do oil changes for other people and like to stay with something I can stand behind. Mobil 1 seems to be a product thats been around the block a few times and I depend on them. I also like their wide range of products.

Before that, for personal use, I was starting to get into Valvoline for awhile(VR1 oils and Synpower) or Castrol dino 30HD oil.

I'm not loyal to a singular name brand in particular but to name brands as a whole. I buy on price and value, so right now that means I have a lot of SOPUS products. Quaker State and QSUD syn and PP bought with rebates.

Also now have Havoline DS, which was a on a good oil/filter (Classic)combo deal at AAP with the great $10 coupon on $25 purchase.

If I wanted/need 5w20 not on special, Motorcraft Syn Blend would be my choice at $11.50 a jug at Wally.

Motor oil and tranny fluid....I am brand loyal to Redline.
Before I used Redline, I used Mobil 1 for oil and tranny.
I keep reading.....and observing how they do in my vehicle......and I would change should I find something that I thought was better.
I tend to hang onto my vehicles.......for many years/miles.

I don't look down on others who have a different program.......all of us members here read and study our vehicles, and make the best decision that we can for our own application and budget.

Yes for me, Pennzoil. However with the semi-new SOPUS, I have purchased Formula Shell. I do use Shell fuel in my cars 100% of the time.

In the 80's and early 90's I used a lot of D A Lubricants and Kendall because I worked in the heavy construction field and could get a huge discount and free oil analysis. Then I switched to Amsoil with good results. (488,000 miles on the same engine and trans with a Suburban using a combo of the 3 above with Baldwin, NAPA and Amsoil filters). Since then I have been using Mobile 1 and Edge.

Really I have found that if you take care of your car/truck before they break, change your oil and buy quality filters they will last a V E R Y long time.

I am an oil whore.
I'll buy whatever is on sale, on clearence, or has a nice MIR.
Having said that, I try to keep each car on the same brand and type of oil for as long as I can.
For example, the '97 Accord is on its third run of M1, and will have at least two more from the stash.
The '99 Accord is on its fourth run of M1, and will do at least four more.
The Subie is on its second run of GC, and I have one more in the stash.
It may then go on PP, since it is thickish (which I think the Sube likes), and I have a lot of it in the stash.
The van gets anything, although I try to avoid mixing brands and types for each fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back