Are you brand loyal (like my dad)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slowdime

I never said the computer he was replacing was cheap. For his purposes as a student, word processing and internet access was all he really needed; both computers did that just fine. The difference was in the integrated graphics card, smaller and slower speed HD on the apple; and a real graphics card, 750 gb 7200rpm HD on the old computer. Processor speed was the same.
Judging by the reaction you gave from an anecdote I shared regarding materialism and that people measure their self worth by the brands they own, I'd be willing to bet you own at least one apple product and are very proud of it.

Yup. tons of Apple gear over the years. It works well, lasts a long time and is second to none in reliability. Only my Linux boxes come close. I'm in IT and work and use all kinds of stuff. Believe me, my "self worth" is not defined by the stuff I own. Or there wouldn't be Fords in my driveway, a Samsung TV in my living room, or a Samsung monitor hooked up to my iMac. Or even, Shock a Galaxy S5!

Again, it's been shown time and time again that Apple gear is price competitive with other similar configurations. Their stuff generally places at the top of benchmarks in most categories.

There are plenty of ways to cut corners in computers. Intel makes many different CPU's of the same speed with different caches, graphics cards can be more or less powerful, RAM speeds, dual channel vs single channel, hard drive density can make a slower drive be faster, etc. Then there is motherboard design that can play a huge factor as well as integration with the OS.

Even in phones, the "old" iPhone 5s keeps up with TODAY'S flagship phones, and it's "slower", has "less RAM", etc.

I don't care what you buy but it's quite pathetic how you belittle Apple users as "Defining their self worth by the brands they own". If that's what makes you feel better or superior, have at it.

I don't disagree that Apple produces quality products at all. My last post pointed out the fact that you were taking personal offense to an anecdote I shared about an impoverished college student I lived with who felt the need to buy something far out of his price range when he already had something that met his needs AND was paid for.
The point I was making with regards to materialism is that people will often times go well beyond their means to purchase things they don't really need. And thinking rationally, they are either, A) keeping up with the 'Jonses', or B) being effected by the non stop advertising that pushes them to consume more and more. Either way it all equates to more time spent working to pay for these things and less time to actually use them. Then once they're obsolete or break, they get thrown out and replaced with something that needs to paid for all over again.
I don't know your financial situation but I live in poverty and live very frugally. The amount of debt I see people racking up to buy 'stuff' shocks and amazes me.
My argument isn't about apple, it's about conspicuous consumption and living outside of ones means to no real end.

Last edited:
Depends on the product. I am brand loyal to

Apple (Mac, iPod, iPad)
Ron Ellis Pickups (guitar)
Avid (audio recording equipment)
Curt Mangan guitar strings
Shure microphones
Kenwood audio products (I have a Kenwood stereo amp from 1968 and a Kenwood car stereo)
Cessna aircraft (Single piston-engine only, though I can no longer fly, medical issues)
Daiwa fishing tackle
Heinz Catsup
Arm and Hammer anti-perspirant.
Pico Pica Mexican hot sauce.

OH WAIT, you meant CAR THINGS! Ehh, for my truck, not so much. I buy Whateverisonsale 5W30 DINO oil and either Purolator or Wix filters. Same with air filters, I just put a Purolator air filter in the truck. I need to get one for the Fusion.

For my wife's Fusion, I always use Whateverisonsale full synthetic and a Wix filter.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I don't care what you buy but it's quite pathetic how you belittle Apple users as "Defining their self worth by the brands they own". If that's what makes you feel better or superior, have at it.
Oh, give him time, he'll be calling Apple users "gay," or something like that. It's one of the common pejoratives Windows people use to prop up their self esteem related to computer use.

You're right, it IS pathetic.

I should point out, I have NEVER bought a new Mac. I have bought older Macs (Currently have a 2007 MBP and a 2009 MP) and I upgraded them, to SSDs (the MP has two) which made them all zippy again.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that Apple produces quality products at all. My last post pointed out the fact that you were taking personal offense to an anecdote I shared about an impoverished college student I lived with who felt the need to buy something far out of his price range when he already had something that met his needs AND was paid for.

What we have here is failure to communicate.
smile.gif
I took no personal offense at all. Perhaps he saw value in few/no viruses, something that works better, etc. Or maybe he was swayed by ads. That would be for him to fess up.

Quote:
I don't know your financial situation but I live in poverty and live very frugally. The amount of debt I see people racking up to buy 'stuff' shocks and amazes me.

If you ask my wife, she'll say I'm cheap but I just hate parting with $$ sometimes. But when I do, I have no problems spending $$ for something that will last. I learned a long time ago - buy cheap, buy it twice, once for the cheap one and once for the good one.

But we, like you, tend to buy what we can afford and make it work. I can't fathom how some people have the huge house, new cars, etc. But if that's what they want to do, have at it. But we shouldn't have to bail them out when they mess up.

Failure to communicate indeed. Words on a screen aren't the best at conveying lots of things. I agree with you on spending more for something that is actually needed. Car parts for example(and more relevant to this thread lol), I rebuilt the suspension on my truck recently and was faced with el cheapo store brand mystery box, or quality parts that's cost significantly more that I researched meticulously; I opted for the quality replacements, even though it cost a lot more.
I'm a cheap $kate myself partially due to necessity, but I've got friends who are as poor as me who have no problem going out and dropping their entire paycheck on whatever is new and 'cool'.
Average credit card debt for the American household is $15,000.... That's pretty nuts if you ask me
Saving to invest in quality that lasts = good
Going in to debt to buy something, regardless of quality = bad
Savings is a practice that seems to be rare amongst the general populace

Oh and telecat, if you had read my last post you'd know I have no problem with apple. I'd never use the word 'gay!' As pejorative either. Also, I'm not a windows user, linux ftw!

Last edited:
What type of Cessna did you own btw. I got my private in an old 150. Then got my instrument in an archer.
I owned a '68 150 and then a '60 172. I never would have flown a Piper. I was die-hard Cessna.

My dad was true blue GM all the way. I am on my last GM. Stayed away for a lot of years, and made the mistake of trying again. Lesson learned. No more GM.

Probably only thing I am remotely brand loyal about is Apple computer products. Got an iMac, Mac Air, and iPhone. They do what I want and have been reliable.

Other than that, everything is up for grabs.

Originally Posted By: telecat
What type of Cessna did you own btw. I got my private in an old 150. Then got my instrument in an archer.
I owned a '68 150 and then a '60 172. I never would have flown a Piper. I was die-hard Cessna.

The high wing is nice for sightseeing. Having never actually owned an airplane I can't really comment. The pipers I flew were brand new and had a pretty sweet garmin set up and the cessnas I learned in were all pre '72
Unfortunately the 150 I did my check ride in was involved in a crash. The student flying it ran into some cumulogranite
frown.gif

Double fatality crash.

The high wing is nice for sightseeing. Having never actually owned an airplane I can't really comment. The pipers I flew were brand new and had a pretty sweet garmin set up and the cessnas I learned in were all pre '72
Unfortunately the 150 I did my check ride in was involved in a crash. The student flying it ran into some cumulogranite
frown.gif

Double fatality crash.
Owning an airplane is a major task if you weren't rich. Of course now it's just a rich guy's game, the Feds finally found a way to get a lot of the piston/prop guys on the ground by making the mogas unusable (ethanol) and the price of any kind of fuel so preposterous as to make it impractical. AOPA did a great job in helping the feds do this. AOPA is a complete waste of oxygen, now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back