Are you brand loyal (like my dad)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loyal to products that give me their moneys worth. As far as cars go, my dad worked for a supplier of radiators, A/C units, and heater cores for GM. Since our bread and butter came from GM growing up, we bought GM cars and trucks later. After we bought (very cheaply) our used Toyota Camry from my in-laws 15 years ago which now just passed 300,000 miles, I'm leaning on going with Toyota or Honda next time instead of GM because we have had a good experience with our Camry. My dad who retired in 1998 from GM, told me recently to buy whatever vehicles seem like the better deal. After seeing a 2003 S10 with a Korean made A/C unit that he used to make, he changed his tune. My current Silverado/ Canadian made Impala are good too, but I don't want to get stuck in a Chevy because that what we've always done.

My wife's family was loyal to Ford vehicles, and now they went to Nissan and Toyota before that and seemed pleased.

Sometimes change is good.

Generally not brand loyal in any way.

However, Mobil 1 (the better variants of M1) has served me extremely well. Until something changes, there is no reason to change.

I like it because it's available everywhere.

No, not since the days of Quaker State Super Blend

$(KGrHqJHJBQFEHMPqGRTBRGPMOY-9w~~60_35.JPG

I am loyal to Quaker State products when it comes to my own vehicle. I always highly recommend their oils when asked. I've done my research on the oils extensively, and feel they are well worth sticking to. They have always produced a quality product, despite the myths and rumours, and continue to do so. That being said, I also like to use Chevron/Havoline, Pennzoil, Formula Shell, and ConocoPhillips oils. If the QS isn't on sale when it comes time to do an oil change for someone, I look for a good deal on one of those products.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I notice this more with Ford buyers than any other auto manufacturer.

They do have the most loyal purchasers. Look it up - I didn't believe it until I did too.

Why would anyone devote their loyalty to a faceless corporation is beyond me. Because of a pay cheque? Pure nonsense, unless the company pays you for doing nothing.

It is true the populous is brainwashed. Most will not say a thing when they are being probed at the airport or when the cop wants to search their car without any violation, but say something bad about their favourite brand and they will defend it. Not only that, they will often get upset about it and treat it as a personal insult.

Last edited:
Looking around my house and garage, it appears the only brands I'm loyal to are Lever 2000 soap and Barilla pasta.

I have M1, QSUD, Napa, and Maxlife on the oil shelf. Toyota and Honda parked in the garage (after four GM vehicles - never again). I don't even buy the same toothpaste all the time. Tools and OPE come from various brands.

I try to look for value in my purchases. High value does not always mean high price.

Last edited:
Quote:
oil change is easy and cheap. A replacement engine is not cheap.

THIS has been my thinking for many years. While I am not brand loyal to a particular auto, I have always stuck with M1 and OEM filters. I have had several cars go well over 200k with the engines running like a champ. I now have new Focus ST. Now I use MC oil and filter. Like your dad, my OCI are between 3-4k. I only change it about 2-3x a year (I have owned it for almost 5 months and am just under 4k miles) and it costs less than $25 for oil & filter. A new 2.0 Ecoboost engine is $6k.

If I worked for a company, similar to what your dad did, I would be brand loyal. He has a vested interest in seeing that the company he works for stays profitable and in business. Also, the parts they sell are good quality at a decent price. Therefor, it is likely a very good idea that he uses Motorcraft parts and oil.

My wife works for Target. We spend about $10K-12K a year at Target on food, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc. One, because we get a good employee discount that makes it cheaper than other retailers, and two, because we have a vested interest in seeing that the company stays profitable and in business, so my wife can continue receiving a paycheck.

If you have no vested interest in the company, than I don't really see the point of being brand loyal if they all perform similarly and are approximately the same cost.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If I worked for a company, similar to what your dad did, I would be brand loyal. He has a vested interest in seeing that the company he works for stays profitable and in business. Also, the parts they sell are good quality at a decent price. Therefor, it is likely a very good idea that he uses Motorcraft parts and oil.

My wife works for Target. We spend about $10K-12K a year at Target on food, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc. One, because we get a good employee discount that makes it cheaper than other retailers, and two, because we have a vested interest in seeing that the company stays profitable and in business, so my wife can continue receiving a paycheck.

If you have no vested interest in the company, than I don't really see the point of being brand loyal if they all perform similarly and are approximately the same cost.

Good points, well made.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why would anyone devote their loyalty to a faceless corporation is beyond me. Because of a pay cheque? Pure nonsense, unless the company pays you for doing nothing.

Why not? That "faceless corporation" ensures you have a roof over your head, food int he fridge, etc. It only makes sense to purchase their products to ensure that they are there so you can work there. Once you no longer work there it matters not.

It just makes sense to not bite the hand that feeds you.

In a society where the terms 'citizen' and 'consumer' are synonyms and advertising is literally everywhere, a lot of people(certainly not all though) gauge their personal success and worth on the material possessions they own and the perceived and/or real quality of those possessions. Take the 'apple slaves' for example, they pay top dollar for electronic devices and generally will defend their decision vehemently. I had a roommate in college who had a perfectly good computer that had superior performance to the entry-level apple laptop he bought. He had no real rational argument for what really amounted to a downgrade performance wise, he cited the ill-informed but over used argument that 'apple computers don't get viruses', and that was it.
Every day privacy and civil liberties are violated, not only by law enforcement and governments, but also by companies that make a sweet little profit selling your personal information. At the end of the day you're an individual and the decisions you make are yours and yours alone, either the product of rational thought or blind loyalty.
Anywho, I really don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to vehicles. Ive made my share of 'franken blend' oil from the 5qt jug leftovers. I have always bought purolator classic filters because the price and quality were unbeatable for my need, but all the tearing that seems to be going on may end that. As many others have said in this thread, quality trumps loyalty. If I've bought something from company a for years and company b shows up on the market with a superior product for a reasonable price, I have no hesitation switching.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Why not? That "faceless corporation" ensures you have a roof over your head, food int he fridge, etc. It only makes sense to purchase their products to ensure that they are there so you can work there. Once you no longer work there it matters not.

It just makes sense to not bite the hand that feeds you.

Once you realize that the company doesn't ensure anything in your life and especially the roof over your head perhaps you will understand my argument. I never said anything about biting the hand that feeds me, but at the end of the day the relationship with the company I work for is nothing but a business transaction. I provide a service, know-how and experience and in return the company pays me for that. That's where the transaction ends. I also fully understand that both the cmompany and I can terminate the agreement at any point.

It is up to me and my wife to ensure the roof over my family's heads, that they are fed and clothed and it is up to me and my wife to ensure our family’s wellbeing even if it means getting another job or having several jobs.
On the same vein, it is up to the company, or people in charge, to ensure that the company prospers and pays its shareholders, even if it means firing me and hiring someone else, or firing everyone and opening up a shop in China. Get it? There are no IOUs. Times were different few decades ago, but not because companies were better, but because the market was different. But there were no IOU's back then, and there are certainly none now.

Last edited:
I'm stuck on a few brands that I've been purchasing for many years:

88 5.0 Mustang: Motorcraft FL1A oil filter, Castrol GTX HM, Prestone coolant, Motorcraft trans fluid/PS Fluid/gear oil.

05 CRV and 07 Odyssey: Purolator PureOne oil filter, PP 5W20, all other fluids Honda brand.

I never stray from the above. Always looking out for sales on the above products and stock up if the price is good.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Take the 'apple slaves' for example, they pay top dollar for electronic devices and generally will defend their decision vehemently. I had a roommate in college who had a perfectly good computer that had superior performance to the entry-level apple laptop he bought. He had no real rational argument for what really amounted to a downgrade performance wise, he cited the ill-informed but over used argument that 'apple computers don't get viruses', and that was it.

Doubtful the cheap computer was the same performance. Why? Too many corners are cut to make it to that price point. It's been shown by countless benchmarks that even the entry level Apple computers compare favorably to mid-level machines from other OEM's. The problem is Apple doesn't play in the ultra cheap segments.

And before you play the "But it's more expensive" [censored] argument, go price out a business class (not consumer junk) computer from any other major OEM and get back to us on price. Hint: they are all about the same price when you equip them similarly.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Once you realize that the company doesn't ensure anything in your life and especially the roof over your head perhaps you will understand my argument. I never said anything about biting the hand that feeds me, but at the end of the day the relationship with the company I work for is nothing but a business transaction. I provide a service, know-how and experience and in return the company pays me for that. That's where the transaction ends. I also fully understand that both the cmompany and I can terminate the agreement at any point.

Quote:
On the same vein, it is up to the company, or people in charge, to ensure that the company prospers and pays its shareholders, even if it means firing me and hiring someone else, or firing everyone and opening up a shop in China. Get it? There are no IOUs. Times were different few decades ago, but not because companies were better, but because the market was different. But there were no IOU's back then, and there are certainly none now.

Yup and unless you are self-employed (and even then it applies but to a lesser extent) you are still somewhat dependent on the company. You don't get it that they are all intertwined.

So let's say you work for company X and they make widgets.

Scenario 1: You and your coworkers buy the company's widgets. That keeps sales up, profits up, and shareholders happy. You tell your friends that the widgets are good. That gets sales up, profits up, etc. Everyone is happy and you have a job because the company is doing well and you are needed.

Scenario 2: You and your coworkers buy your competitor's widgets. Your friends notice and also buy competitor's widgets. Sales go down, the company downsizes, outsources to China to keep the shareholders happy. Congratulations, you are now out of a job!

It's not rocket science and just being smart. It may not 100% ensure you will have a job but it surely can't hurt.

Similar things also apply for shareholders - buy the products from the companies you own and to help ensure future growth and dividends.

Smart businesspeople know that - it was Henry Ford that realized the best thing was to pay his workers enough so that they could afford his products. And, what do you know, 100+ years later his company is still around!

Last edited:
As an aside, I feel like our society might be the only one in the First World with no intuitive understanding of how much employees, management, shareholders, government, and customers all depend on each other.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
As an aside, I feel like our society might be the only one in the First World with no intuitive understanding of how much employees, management, shareholders, government, and customers all depend on each other.

Yup. If you look at it holistically you will see that even if you are not a shareholder by virtue of stock ownership, you are a shareholder of many companies via 401(k), IRA, or other investments you may own.

It's not rocket science and just being smart. It may not 100% ensure you will have a job but it surely can't hurt.

Similar things also apply for shareholders - buy the products from the companies you own and to help ensure future growth and dividends.

Smart businesspeople know that - it was Henry Ford that realized the best thing was to pay his workers enough so that they could afford his products. And, what do you know, 100+ years later his company is still around!

Well, there's something I agree completely with. A company does have a very real responsibility to pay their workers a decent wage if, and only if, they are real contributors.

I think it's really sad the way folks try and blame the company they work for about income issues. That's a very personal problem, and requires a bit of introspection. I worked for a LONG time for others, never really did that well.

Finally got the courage to venture out on my own, and it was magical. I have loved it ever since and raised 3 beautiful hard working successful kids as a single Dad while I made more money than I ever though possible.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Take the 'apple slaves' for example, they pay top dollar for electronic devices and generally will defend their decision vehemently. I had a roommate in college who had a perfectly good computer that had superior performance to the entry-level apple laptop he bought. He had no real rational argument for what really amounted to a downgrade performance wise, he cited the ill-informed but over used argument that 'apple computers don't get viruses', and that was it.

Doubtful the cheap computer was the same performance. Why? Too many corners are cut to make it to that price point. It's been shown by countless benchmarks that even the entry level Apple computers compare favorably to mid-level machines from other OEM's. The problem is Apple doesn't play in the ultra cheap segments.

And before you play the "But it's more expensive" [censored] argument, go price out a business class (not consumer junk) computer from any other major OEM and get back to us on price. Hint: they are all about the same price when you equip them similarly.

I never said the computer he was replacing was cheap. For his purposes as a student, word processing and internet access was all he really needed; both computers did that just fine. The difference was in the integrated graphics card, smaller and slower speed HD on the apple; and a real graphics card, 750 gb 7200rpm HD on the old computer. Processor speed was the same.
Judging by the reaction you gave from an anecdote I shared regarding materialism and that people measure their self worth by the brands they own, I'd be willing to bet you own at least one apple product and are very proud of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back