Are you brand loyal (like my dad)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loyal to a brand as long as they treat me well. I'll jump ship as soon as their quality or customer service goes to [censored]. I don't have a preferred car brand now.

Brands that I remain loyal to:
Danner Boots
Glock Pistols
BMW Motorcycles
Nokian Tires
5.11 Clothing

Brands that have lost me:
Chrysler (2001 Dakota that was a complete disaster)
MTD (various Troy-Bilt labeled junk; I don't know why I even bothered)

Nah, I'm not brand loyal at all. All 4 cars I've owned have been from different brands (Chevy, Nissan, Acura, Pontiac) and I've changed oil brands more times than I can count. I used to use mostly Purolator oil filters up until recently, but I have used many different brands of those as well.

My pops was brand loyal to toyota's. But i'm not more of the car person in the family so i brought in the nissans. His next car he is considering an accord. I cant however swing him into a madza 6.

Being asian parents, they seem to be STUCK on certain brands from the past, like Sony TV's are must haves and X product is better then Y product. Going to sears for EVERYTHING. Craftsman is the best.

I myself is all about what fits my needs and budget. I avoid many apple products because while they fit the need, they are rarely budget minded. I dont care for TV brand names, honestly i would go with el cheapo if it worked nicely(if i created a product thats the name i would do).

My Dad was a "better mousetrap" guy. He always believed that there was some overlooked brand that was really better than everything else. So naturally GM anything was out of the question. About 30% of the time he was right.

Personally I figure brand loyalty is expensive. I have that for my USAA car insurance (I never comparison shop) otherwise, if its a significant purchase at all, I check on the 'net.

Brand loyalty made more sense pre-net. You couldn't get good information about things, so adherence to a reputable brand was a smart strategy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Brand loyalty made more sense pre-net. You couldn't get good information about things, so adherence to a reputable brand was a smart strategy.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Hello every one. I was wondering, are you brand loyal no matter what or do you change brands? Take my dad for example. He was raised on Ford vehicles. That is all he has ever bought or owned. He worked for a Motorcraft parts warehouse for 32 years. He only uses Motorcraft oil, Motorcraft filters, spark plugs, batteries, etc. You get the idea. His reasoning behind this is based on his experience with the brand. The company delivery vans were always bought new, were always Ford, and always given Motorcraft parts. The engines would go well in to the 300000 mile range. The batteries would last 7-8 years, spark plugs would go over 100000 miles, etc. My dad is 69 years old and basically believes in keep it simple, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Dad is old school. 3000 mile oil changes. Dad's feelings are that an oil change is easy and cheap. A replacement engine is not cheap.

I like your dads way of thinking.
thumbsup2.gif

"Brand Loyalty" is for the lazy and unthinking and needs to be consciously avoided...Especially with public companies run by fraudulent MBAs.

If I find a decent brand at a good price then yes I'll support the brand. I like Valvoline myself. Is it the best oil on the market?
No

Best value?
No

But do I feel confident with it and does it fit the roll I'm looking for?
Yea

I'm not saying I'm strictly brand loyal for life but I'm good with good enough
smile.gif

It depends upon what the item is.

Things like vehicles, parts, oil, etc. I have little or no brand loyalty toward. I purchase whatever best suits my needs and budget at the time, although if there is a brand I'm familiar with at a similar price point to a no-name brand, I'll choose the brand I'm familiar with. For example, if I'm ready to change my oil and Pennzoil and Billy Bob's Oil are all that is available, I'll choose Pennzoil because it's a known quality. However, if Pennzoil and Valvoline are available, I'll buy whichever is less expensive.

There are a few things we are brand loyal to. Most of our meat comes from the same butcher who uses locally sourced products. Our paper towels are always the same brand, our milk, coffee, tea and toilet tissue are always the same brand. A lot of that comes from the products being good quality at a price point that fits our budget, and part of it is that we're simply familiar with a certain brand and comfortable with it.

We also, as much as possible, try to stay with products that are manufactured locally first, and USA second. Sometimes that isn't possible, but when it is we factor that into our buying decisions.

I know that for oil I use Mobil 1 Synthetics only. Been using Mobil since the 80's.

Oil Filters, I've used Fram exclusively on my Ford and my Honda and switched to Fram on my Toyota. The Sonata gets Hyundai Filters.

I guess we can see I'm all over the place when it comes to cars.

Only with cars!

JAPANESE built Toyota and Lexus vehicles only. An unbelievable quality that I haven't seen in any other brand.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's... my parent's American made cars were garbage.

I learned fast.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Your Dad was brand loyal to his employer. To have a company and a individual show loyalty to each other is an lost practice today. It worked well for him and it worked well for Ford. Win Win.

To expand upon that, a lot can be said for having a good personal relationship with the local people who represent a brand. Shell and Quaker State (as a separate entity back then) and Imperial Oil did a lot of good taking care of us over the years in the taxi and farming industries. When I was a kid, I didn't think there were any PCMOs besides Formula Shell and QS or any HDEO stuff besides Rotella and Esso XD-3.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Only with cars!

JAPANESE built Toyota and Lexus vehicles only. An unbelievable quality that I haven't seen in any other brand.

I learned fast.

What's wrong with the cars Toyota builds in America?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Only with cars!

I learned fast.

Funny,because I was thinking this very same thing the other night. The Japanese built Toyotas were light years ahead of the American made Toyotas of current.

My dad has been a Quaker State guy for many years, and still uses QSAD. (But the town and country van, still changed at the dealer)

Grew up using QS, and now find myself using lots of QSUD now. Loyal? Maybe a bit. (Granted, the ecotec engines love the stuff)

Get my "trying new stuff" kick on my family beater, the Cobalt...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cb_13
What's wrong with the cars Toyota builds in America?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Japanese built Toyotas were light years ahead of the American made Toyotas of current.

Yeah, I just feel like the entire working culture is different in Japan.

People actually take pride in their work. They want to produce the best product to the best of their ability. It is an honor to their family name. I think this equates to some of the finest built cars on the planet.

If anyone is interested further, you should research the history and manufacturing process of the Lexus LFA. It is literally the pinnacle of Japanese workmanship. A team of highly skilled craftsman hand build each car from start to finish.

No brand loyalty here. Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Ford, Triumph, etc., are just a few of the names through this driveway.

We buy what we want because we like it in some way. I rarely use fear to make any decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back