Are you an adventurous person who tries new foods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to watch cooking shows like Diners, Drive ins and dives, Bizarre Foods America etc. I think many of the foods look great and probably taste really good. But I am not a vegetable person.

It seems like our restaurant and home meals are always the same old choices.

How about you? You like to mix things up? Try new dishes?

I have been cooking new meals at home instead of the same old same old. Eating out I rarely do because I don't control the ingredients as much and often am disappointed.

I'm fairly adventurous. I'll try anything at least once to see if I like the taste.

We're lucky to have decent restaurant variety here, despite not living in a huge metropolis.. american, mexican, italian, french, polish, chinese, indian, cuban, caribbean, ethiopian, greek, mediterraenean, middle eastern, thai, vietnamese, korean, japanese, nepalese... we eat it all.

Variety is the spice of life. LOL.

There are two things that I have refused to eat - chicken feet and century egg. Otherwise I will try anything at least once. How else would I determine if I like it or not?

Originally Posted by sleepery
Originally Posted by WhyMe
get some chicken breast or thigh and get a bottle of this from the store. cook it together. eat it with white rice and its a great meal.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-Kee-Black-Garlic/dp/B000F08KCU

Just purchased some black bean sauce and it goes really well with meats . I will probably try the garlic version you posted next good find .

Cook it with some seafood like clams or shrimp and you will be in heaven. when cooking with shrimp and some onion to it to tame any fishyness. black bean anything has always been my favorite comfort food since i was a kid and mom would make it. she made it old fashion style before these ready to use jars.

tofu is awesome in sphaghetti sauce. I have an apple pie cooling. My brother is a strict vegan. I'm trying my hand at gluten-free pie crust with just 4 ingredients: oat flour made from steel cut oats in a nutri bullet, canola oil,water and salt. Apples are pink ladies,chosen for their sweetness and they don't turn to mush and a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. The result was more of an apple crumble.
grin2.gif

I'll eat just about anything except insects and organ meats. I've tried both, have no inclination to pick those scraps unless it's SHTF day.

I always feel betrayed when I try Indian food and want to puke a little. The spices don't agree with me which is ironic because spices normally dominate my cooking instead of salt or fat.

By now at my age I think I ate everything possible for the most part. The wife and I go out to eat about four times a week , great variety of restaurants in my area. Usually Sat night we will go into Manhattan for dinner after we visit our daughter's apartment there.

I've become more adventurous as I've become older. I love to make homemade bbq and various salads etc. I made ham leek and tomato quiche tonight. I can't get my head or stomach around liver, stomach, fois gras etc.

Yes I remember a trip to my local grocer in the mid 90s. I went for some store brand oreos. All they had was the ones with one chocolate cookie and the other vanilla. I could have bought the name brand but that was a quarter I'd never see again. Turns out that even though the hybrid store brand cookies were two years out of date, The experience was a culinary delight.

Originally Posted by andyd
tofu is awesome in sphaghetti sauce. I have an apple pie cooling. My brother is a strict vegan. I'm trying my hand at gluten-free pie crust with just 4 ingredients: oat flour made from steel cut oats in a nutri bullet, canola oil,water and salt. Apples are pink ladies,chosen for their sweetness and they don't turn to mush and a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. The result was more of an apple crumble.
grin2.gif

try half almond flour, half rice flour.

or add to oats flour, some quinoa (in nutribullet) and xanthan gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back