Are you an additive junkie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question. I know a lot of us are motor oil junkies. Are you also an additive junkie? Oil/Fuel additives. What do you have in your stash at the moment? I'm not one but I have purchased a few lately just to see what works.

Anyways, at the moment. I have:

MMO
Techron Concentrate Plus

MMO
Techron
Amsoil PI
Regane
Red Line Break In Oil Additive
Schaeffers #132
VSOT
A-Rx

Some fuel treatments ..about every 6 months with Amsoil PI.

I've experimented in the past, but don't do additives as a routine thing.

Stuff used in the past or infrequently:

VSOT - once, just because I had it due to hype here
MMO - experiment to prove what wouldn't happen (don't ever say, "you'll shoot your eye out, kid" to me
grin2.gif
I will use it again and don't try and talk people out of using it in fuel.
Auto-Rx ..routine ever 75k or so on an otherwise well maintained engine ..or any used car purchased/acquired. Has always worked well for me.
Regane: Real drivability improvements when used- don't know about now.
Techron= never noticed a darn thing = not the $12 stuff.

Other than that, I'm mostly a purist.

I have used Regane and Techron both once and never noticed a difference. Maybe it is because I use Shell and Chevron gasoline exclusively.
thumbsup2.gif
NEVER any oil additives and never will.

Now only Redline SI-1, Regane frequently, and occasionally ARX.
Used to use this in the past:
Techron (not much effect)
STP CFSC (too much kerosene)
MMO (difficult to dose properly to get consistent result)

I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in each car around the time I do an oil change. In the past I used Redline SI
-1 or Techron, but since I have had no injector problems, I am buying the product based on price and not brand or reputation.

I used to be very interested in every oil supplement that came along, although I tried only a few. And I did use Tufoil for a few years.

Today I mostly stay with Auto-RX (cleanings about every 25,000 miles and then maintenance doses), fuel system cleaner (Techron or Regane in clear bottle) every 3000 miles or so, Stal-Bil in lawn mower engine gas, and rarely Marvel Mystery Oil, Bar's Leaks, and maybe I would try Lubegard Engine Flush if I could find it. I have to say that I went a long time before I started up maintenance doses of Auto-RX again. And I have occasionally gone a long time before using fuel system cleaner.

In fact I try to keep the gas fresh enough in my gas container so that I don't even have to use Sta-Bil, and aside from Auto-RX and occasional fuel system cleaner I have pretty much given up on additives and supplements. I even went a long time before I started up Auto-RX maintenance doses again.

Today I mainly try to make sure all necessary maintenance is done and quality oil and air filters, etc., are used. I am not much of an additive guy anymore.

Last edited:
Alternate between these additives in the fuel:
MMO
FP+
RLI Fuel System Cleaner
Amsoil PI (Once a year)

The only thing I have ever used in the oil is Auto-RX. I don't use the maintenance dose.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Seafoam
MMO
STP Racer's Edge ZDDP additive(12+ qts for small engines)
Regane
Restore (previous use - still recommend it for beaters)

Do you feel that Restore works on your beaters? What improvements do you see? I'm just curious. Restore isn't exactly cheap.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Seafoam
MMO
STP Racer's Edge ZDDP additive(12+ qts for small engines)
Regane
Restore (previous use - still recommend it for beaters)

Do you feel that Restore works on your beaters? What improvements do you see? I'm just curious. Restore isn't exactly cheap.

No, it's not cheap but it does work well. In a car with uneven/poor compression, I've noticed significant improvement. I'd add a can, give it a run around town, then let the car cool down overnight. The next day the engine runs stronger. This persists for the duration of the current OCI and sometimes longer. I used it in a Stratus quite often with favorable results. Not to be anything other than helpful, but it would benefit you to search 'restore' either using this site's search or with google site search bobistheoilguy.com - there have been quite a few discussions about its use. People who used it worked to some degree almost without exception. I wouldn't use it in a car with a good engine because first, you don't need it and second, I'm not %100 sure whether it might be detrimental to the cat. Likely no worse than the oil that beaters generally burn, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back