Are you an additive junkie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loopie
I use MMO, Regane and Tehcron. I might try AutoRX someday, if needed.

One of the strong selling points of ARX is that if you use it now, and then in maintenance doses, you'll never truly need to use it later, because your engine will be very clean and wil stay that way. :)

Well, I was fairly into additives. I used to run either arx or arx with SLOB in pretty much every OCI in my SAAB 9-5. Now that the SAAB is gone, I'm just running arx maint doses in everything except the Fit. It will go in the Fit after the initial fill is changed.

But as for what I have in my posession:
Approximately 30 bottles of CD-2 SLOB
"" "" CD-2 75k+ Oil Treatment
1 gallon of MMO
3 bottles of CD-2 Oil Detergent
1 can of Berryman Chemtool
18 bottles of arx

For the money spent on RX or other 'cleaners,' I'd rather buy a good synthetic oil and be done with it. I don't feel the need to fiddle-[censored] with the car.

I've tried some gasoline additives once in a while, and actually noticed a slight improvement when I found some amine-based snake oil at Bog Lots for cheap. My car was hesitating and misfiring at low revs. (Turns out the car hated the platinum spark plugs I'd installed. NGK or Denso copper plugs run flawlessly.)

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Simple question. I know a lot of us are motor oil junkies. Are you also an additive junkie? Oil/Fuel additives. What do you have in your stash at the moment? I'm not one but I have purchased a few lately just to see what works.

Anyways, at the moment. I have:

MMO
Techron Concentrate Plus

I have used Amosil Pi (disliked the old stuff), Power Service gave be poor UOA, use MMO, Schaeffers #131, LC 131 and tryed ARX..

Ones I have the most of are MMO and 131...ARX is #3

I have tried seafoam and it was [censored] folks.....I will take Amsoil foam Poaf anyday over it.. Berryman Chemtool messed up a sensor in my car...I will never use it again. $200 mistake

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
For the money spent on RX or other 'cleaners,' I'd rather buy a good synthetic oil and be done with it. I don't feel the need to fiddle-[censored] with the car.

I do use synthetics. I also know that Auto RX will do nothing but improve them.

You seem to have jumped on the Auto RX bashing bandwagon with no experience with the product.

A lot of people bash products w/o actually using them. Seems typical, MMO and A-rX seem to get trashed the most around here by people who've never used them.

AD

My Yaris manual clearly states any SM-rated 5w-30 is fine - but makes it very clear that additives are not required at any point, and may actually void the warranty.

So unless you're a tin-foil-hat-wearer, I'll believe what my manual states.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
My Yaris manual clearly states any SM-rated 5w-30 is fine - but makes it very clear that additives are not required at any point, and may actually void the warranty.

I bet the manuals in the sludge prone 3 liter V6 cars said the same thing.

At present I have Rislone Compression Repair in the oil . I use MMO in fuel when I have some .

I plan on giving ARX a try next oil change .

In the past I have added Rislone engine treatment , Gunk Valve medic , Tufoil and MMO at seperate oci's in various vehicles .
Also did a MMO/ATF/Liquid Wrench soak in the pistons on my van with a follow up oil change a few days later .(same one with the Rislone Compression Repair in it)

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

haha

I guess we're either tinfoil hat wearers or big scaredy-cats.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

haha +1

Best reply ever.

I use a some of them, sometimes, when I think I have a good reason:

1. Seafoam in the intake once every--maybe 80K to 100K miles if the idle is getting rough.

2. Stabil and a little MMO in the fuel in winter for a car that sets more than runs.

3. Have occasionally used a very little dose ZDDP booster for the oil in the past.--Lucas or EOS break-in additives to get up to ~1100 ppm.

4. Justice Brothers Oil Treatment in the VW Bus to keep that camshaft from rattling like a snake in a bucket at hot idle.
(The endplay is too loose and it needs a new thrust bearing.)

Except for the VW, I usually just put in oil and gas.

ARX
Techron Concentarate
Stabil Marine Formula

ARX maintenance dose in both road motor vehicles.
Fuel injector cleaner every 10K.
Stabil in all stored fuel, both boat and lawn equipment.

I wouldn't call myself a junkie, but have found this short list to be very serviceable.

Healthy skepticism, sure. But how is it that stating my opinion (the whole point of this thread, eh?) is somehow "Bashing"?
Oh, please!
smirk2.gif

"Bashing" would involve me (and presumably the other members of the secret Anti-Auto-RX sect) jumping up and yelling "Don't buy it, it's garbage!" anytime the topic comes up. I'd sound just like the ARX fan boys who blindly push it anytime some new arrival asks "what's best for my xxx mile car?"

cool.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back