Are you all changing oil on cars not driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to being on home lockdown for weeks or maybe months, when are you changing oil?

(Other than changing oil because you are bored)

Now or waiting until things are back to normal and we are all driving cars again?

Right now my Sienna van has about 3,500 miles on 7 month old regular ol' Formula Shell 5W30.

Last edited:
Depends on the TYPE of miles. for your Sienna, are those all around-town miles? If so, change it. If you're infrequently taking longer highway trips, then I would NOT change it.

One thing I might do early is plugs on my Legacy: 60k spec, 56k currently. We'll see.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I left the oil alone but did put maintainers on the battery.

Great point. My wife's car sits a lot now, so I try to keep the maintainer on it (in addition to my usual charging scheme using a DC power supply).

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Depends on the TYPE of miles. for your Sienna, are those all around-town miles? If so, change it. If you're infrequently taking longer highway trips, then I would NOT change it.

One thing I might do early is plugs on my Legacy: 60k spec, 56k currently. We'll see.

It was mostly around town with a few longer trips here and there. I think I will take that advice and go ahead and change it.

Also, all the other tips about keeping batteries charged are good. Don't have a maintainer, so I guess I will start it in the driveway and idle some every week?

Assuming 5,000 mile OCI, drive it 30 or so miles a month, get it up to operating temperature and the oil, transmission, diff, battery will be fine.

I do 6 month OCI which I never worry about mileage as mine will do short driving. I will never see the reminder and manual states 4k for severe so while under warranty that is what I do. Last one was just over 3k as well as this one when oil comes in. First 2 were at 4500 for reference.

2018 Grand Caravan

Originally Posted by forkian

It was mostly around town with a few longer trips here and there. I think I will take that advice and go ahead and change it.

Also, all the other tips about keeping batteries charged are good. Don't have a maintainer, so I guess I will start it in the driveway and idle some every week?

I wouldn't drive any vehicle just to top off the battery. When I lived in a condo, I'd run a short extension cord (my parking spot was directly in front of my porch) and let it set charging for the afternoon.

If you like to detail your car, this would be perfect. A large enough maintainer (5A+) would keep up with having some interior lights on as you move from spot to spot while cleaning the car and maintain voltage for charging the battery sufficciently.

Haven't driven my car in over two weeks. I'll keep to my 10,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Driving habits? What oil are you using?

Your 10k is not my 10k is not someone else's 10k.

I'm gonna change mine in the next month, I short trip it at least 50-60% and the Nissan VQ37 is hard on oil. I know a 5k OCI on Mobil1 EP is "conservative" but rather be safe then sorry. Actually just ordered the Advance Auto deal on Mobil1 EP HM and the Mobil1 filter for $36.99 the other day. Think Mobil is still running a $12 gift card back too.

I do have oil on hand for my wife's Pilot. She's been working from home during the last month. Just drives around town. Will wait for the minder to tell me.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Driving habits? What oil are you using?

Your 10k is not my 10k is not someone else's 10k.

My usual driving is about 40 miles of doing 80 and then 15 miles of stop and go. Right now I'm not driving at all.

Think I have Valvoline ful syn 0w20 in there now.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Been selling off some of my stash almost 100 gallons sold last 4 weeks . Trust me people are 100% changing their oil

Dave

Newspaper ad?
Media website ads?
Oil jug on a chair at the curb with a price tag and slit-open empty shoe-box to deposit money into?

What methods are you employing to sell all this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back