Are you a sheep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a similar incident where I work recently, and an employee violated policy and did the same thing.

While I don't think he should be fired, or that this guy at the bank should be fired, we have always represented that people are more important than money. What if the robber did have a gun, and managed to pull it and start shooting? How many people would have been killed? Giving him the money and let him run is much safer.

That's what we told the employee at work, we're insured, don't risk your life.

John

Just look at what most of the US has become...
20.gif

Between being PC and the marketing that is fed to the masses things like this happen more and more.

The only "Hero" is one that Hollywood can produce.

Why stand up? You'll only loose...

Welcome to the New World that "cares".

From the article:

Quote:
Sloan, 29, has a lengthy criminal history, including convictions for theft and robbery...

Yet another career criminal with no intention of changing careers. The bank teller is just as sick and tired of this [censored by mod] as everyone else.

Edit:

Cutesy spellings to do an end run around the censor may result in a suspension of posting privileges.

Last edited by a moderator:
As his reward for thwarting the guy and keeping the rest of us from paying the bank's insurance, he gets fired. I smell a wrongful termination suit in his future.

The employee should have just backed off and not jumped the robber. What if it sparked a flurry of gunshots or a rampage of anger that injured his fellow employees or bystanders? While I'm all for defending ones self, the act of that employee could have been a disaster. It's only money. Now if that punk had already started to harm people or was shooting a weapon before attempting to take him down....then yes, it would have been a good idea to try and stop him. Also, if that employee had a firearm I think it may have been fine to have popped the guy center-mass (that would have stopped the robber from further action....unless he had a vest on).
Either way though I don't feel the employee should have been fired. But....an employer has a right to fire anyone that doesn't comply with the rules....like it or not. I've got a feeling that this guy will either get his job back or be offered another one from all the publicity.

Originally Posted By: John_K
We had a similar incident where I work recently, and an employee violated policy and did the same thing.

While I don't think he should be fired, or that this guy at the bank should be fired, we have always represented that people are more important than money. What if the robber did have a gun, and managed to pull it and start shooting? How many people would have been killed? Giving him the money and let him run is much safer.

That's what we told the employee at work, we're insured, don't risk your life.

John

Yeah but this mentality is flawed, its like having 2 hijackers on an airplane. I'd rather attempt stopping the two hijackers than let them kill a mess of people. The guy in the bank could have had a gun, and if things hit the fan it would be the same mess. 1 brave guy, get a hold on the situation and the rest of the citizens would follow and stop him.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
As his reward for thwarting the guy and keeping the rest of us from paying the bank's insurance, he gets fired. I smell a wrongful termination suit in his future.

If he violated a written corporate policy, then he's probably limited in legal recourse. It's a shame. I'd have made him manager of security!

Wal-Mart has a similar policy. Don't try to be the hero - it's only money. Funny to hear that from this company.

This is crazy. This guy's a freakin' hero.

Some say, what if the guy had pulled a gun and started shooting? Well, the same could have happened if the police had stopped him. A shoot-out with police can kill innocent bystanders as well.

I look at it this way. Banks are federally insured. You are a teller at chase, it gets robbed. The money will be replaced. You followed policy and are alive. Maybe the robber is caught, who cares. Second scenario, you chase the robber or resist his request. Bang, shoots you in the forehead and takes the cash. Same outcome, save the fact that your are taking a dirt nap for NOTHING!

Here in AZ its much different than someplace like Seattle(I lived there for 22 years). I have a CCW and carry often. Lets say Im in a bank ( yes you can carry in a bank here) and some joker pulls a gun. I can tell you that my gun is not coming out unless I know he is [censored] bent on killing someone or me. And its a problem with the system I know. But it's still a human life. One that yeah is breaking the law and stealing. But this usually ends peacefully without a single shot being fired.

Did you know some banks take away bonuses if there was a robbery. So there is the incentive to chase a bad guy. Even though most banks have a firm policy like the one in question that says you will not pursue a robbery suspect under any circumstances. It's such a joke.

Seems to me there are plenty of stories lately about people successfully thwarting a crime then getting fired, but ZERO stories of people trying to thwart a crime and then getting hurt or killed in the process. That tells me that PEOPLE ARE ALREADY USING GOOD JUDGEMENT in these matters. Folks with hero complexes just are not a rampant problem.

Blind adherence to policy is a bad thing. Each case is unique- if someone can make the sensible judgement than he/she can successfully stop a crime WITHOUT RISK to himself or others, then that should be permitted. A review or even reprimand might be in order, but firing for one incident is S-T-U-P-I-D. It might be different if an employee does this habitually, but one time? Give the guy a break.

There was a case here recently where a supermarket employee thrwarted a purse-snatching. It was totally obvious that a) the punk was unarmed, and b) he could easily be caught and the purse returned. There was NEVER a risk of anyone getting hurt, and the purse was recovered. But the employee got fired anyway.

Like I said. S-T-U-P-I-D!!!

Last edited:
Upper Management: "This guy's a loose cannon. We can't have this kind of attention. You've gotta do something about this.."

Grunt Management: "Well.. we have had some issues with him. Here's a good excuse to cut him loose."

It could very well be the case that not stopping the robber would have resulted in lives lost. Maybe he planned on shooting up the joint or taking hostages. What then?

You can't "policy" your way out every circumstance.

Modern humans are a domesticated species. We're nothing more than conditioned animals who receive reward/punishment stimuli for acting out certain ways or following our instincts.

Yeah, he may have lost his job, but he'll make up for it with the success he'll have picking up women. All he needs to do is keep a copy of the newspaper writeup in his wallet. He'll be rewarded one way or another.

It's a mixed bag (the mentality). If you get involved, you may not be prepared for the consequences. While I wouldn't necessarily call most people "sheep" ..many realize that it's more like a situation of "go home pilgrim, there's nothing you can do here".

I doubt that I'm going to get involved in any material theft (outside of my own) beyond calling the cops or perhaps yell "Hey, what are you doing?" type interference, but I would have a real hard time being a silent spectator at some assault/mugging. You do have to be careful around wild animals.

Frustrations: Frustrations with crime. Frustrations with the costs of crime. Frustrations with crime prevention and effective law enforcement. Value of human life in terms of involvement. Value of human effort in paying for lack of involvement and lack of crime prevention and effective law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back