Are you a sheep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just look at what most of the US has become...
20.gif

Between being PC and the marketing that is fed to the masses things like this happen more and more.

The only "Hero" is one that Hollywood can produce.

Why stand up? You'll only loose...

Welcome to the New World that "cares".

So true.

I understand the bank's position, as they can't encourage any behavior that is potentially dangerous, but the teller did good and, in my mind, the experience was worth losing his job over. If he had a gun visible, I'd comply. If not, I wouldn't be able to hold myself back. That's an assault charge I'd be proud of!

There are two types of people. Predators and prey.

That teller wasn't prey. Those of you that think he shouldn't have done what he did, and are worried about what might have happened are.

Normally, I wouldn't be so judgemental in an internet post, but I figure prey aren't going to want to go after a predator, so I'm pretty safe.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
There are two types of people is one type of person. Predator and prey.
FTFY
56.gif

ArrestMeRedZ said:
There are two types of people. Predators and prey.

That teller wasn't prey. Those of you that think he shouldn't have done what he did, and are worried about what might have happened are.

Normally, I wouldn't be so judgemental in an internet post, but I figure prey aren't going to want to go after a predator, so I'm pretty safe.
LOL.gif

Can you (with your hand on your heart) say, if things had gone badly, and Wifey or a kid caught a bullet, You would not sue the Butt off that Bank?
I figure the Bank considerd this. It also considers what the scum bag robber take 'Lint' by comparison to what it 'could' cost them.
The teller is there it do the Banks bidding. It's NOT 'his' money! He has been told (presumably) for a good reason to 'Just hand it over' It's nothing personal, It's a pittance to the bonuses they probably give there executives, as a Bonus, each year.
If the guy gets mugged in the Street and he wants to play hero, fine, that's his business. But if I were to hire a person to do a job and he doesn't follow a procedure that could cost me big $, in my books he deserves to be fired.

It isn't what the robber takes from the bank that matters to me. It's the threat that he made that does. Anybody that threatens my life (unless it's law enforcement, and he or she has justification) has made a life decision. The threat makes it personal. If that happens, it's my personal policy to turn the individual over to law enforcement, if possible, or cure him of his oxygen dependency, if not. My personal policy takes precidence over my employer's policy. Apparently the teller felt the same. He used sufficient force to end the threat, and in doing so, showed considerable restraint and excellent judgement.

After all, someone who unjustly threatens my life can end it. My employer can only fire me. Not being there, and not knowing all the facts makes our conclusions irrevelant, but if the facts related are correct, both the teller and the bank did the right thing. Trust me, the hero's next job will be a [censored] of a lot better than working as a teller at a bank (that conclusion is a no-brainer - there aren't many jobs worse than being a teller).

And yes, if something went wrong as you suggest, I would sue the bank. Banks are the biggest predators around. My multimillion judgement would be pocket lint to them. I wouldn't, however, ever sue the teller.

Last edited:
While you make some reasonable points that I agree with, you can't divide the entire human race into a couple of categories. Not everyone who isn't a "predator" is "prey", and not everyone who isn't "prey" is a "predator". And before someone brings up the tired Sheepdog category, not everyone who isn't one of the other two is a sheepdog. Simplistic pigeonholing of people usually leads to incorrect assumptions.
Every situation is different and an action that would make you come off as a hero in one could get you and others killed in another.

And yet, in this situation the individual came off as a hero, and is getting tarred as a heal because somebody "could" have been injured or killed.

And I agree with your point that everybody can't be put into a couple of categories. That was an oversimplication on my part. It's just that everybody who disagrees with his actions has put themselves into the prey category.

You can hand all the compliments you want to the guy for what he did, but unless you're the bank manager or someone else in a position to really leave an impact across the grain from the company's policy, what it boils down to is that it was a decision he made of his own will and something that he was hopefully well-informed in doing. The point you're missing (given what you can reasonably infer from the article) is that he was still in a position of vulnerability regardless of whether he decided to be a "hero" or not. He got fired, which pretty much proves that point. There's always a bigger fish. The bank robber learned the same lesson. The real lesson, though, is be careful how you [censored] with who you [censored] with, which I think everyone can agree on.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Lumping folks into the sheep, sheepdog, and wolf categories is the only generalization that works for the human population.

Not really, unless you expand the number of categories to include chihuahuas.

The majority of people don't fit either category, because the majority of people aren't prey, aren't predators, and don't care.

Actually, I think I could follow company policy on this and give him the money even without seeing a gun. The guy's just doing what he thinks is best for him within the system, and I don't have anything personal against him like if he were attacking me directly. But, if I'm in a really bad mood or he does something to [censored] me off or make me feel personally threatened and I get the adrenaline dump, all previous rational decisions go out the window. I'd still be happy with the result of this situation if I were the teller.

It's just that everybody who disagrees with his actions has put themselves into the prey category.

There's a very fine line between courage and foolishness. There's a fine line between cowardice and wisdom not to intervene. The difference is success or failure in hindsight. If someone, including himself, had gotten killed or seriously injured you would not be able to expound on the merits of his actions. I really doubt that you would be able to just say "nice try. I give you an "A" for effort".

In terms of policy, you engineer out the peril as much as possible. You do it with OSHA issues on machinery and systems that present potential life threatening conditions. You do it with this sorta thing too. You install cash controls that limit your loss and risk. You can't rely on (would be) heroes also being wise enough to know when they're going to add to the loss.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's just that everybody who disagrees with his actions has put themselves into the prey category.
There's a very fine line between courage and foolishness. There's a fine line between cowardice and wisdom not to intervene. The difference is success or failure in hindsight. If someone, including himself, had gotten killed or seriously injured you would not be able to expound on the merits of his actions. I really doubt that you would be able to just say "nice try. I give you an "A" for effort".
Is that the same line between living without regret and living with it? Some people grade their own papers, some people refuse to... so to speak. Is that why you think we're interested in your opinion?

Actually, I think this was already covered on the other board.
56.gif
I assume you can find the thread by its title.
grin2.gif
Might be a better place to discuss it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back