Are you a hoarder or do you buy oil "as needed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have a problem. My name is Bob and I'm a hoarder (everyone replies "Hi, Bob!"). My parents grew up during the depression and WW2 and impressed upon me the belief that stashing stuff was necessary for survival. Consequently, I have a three year supply of oil (GC, PP and M1 - all bought on sale) for both of my cars (along with lots of canned goods) stored in my basement.
dunno.gif
banghead.gif
Do you suffer from the same affliction? Pictures of oil stashes will be appreciated.
worshippy.gif

I'm not. Well since BITOG I've stashed 2 oil changes (10 qt). There is still 50 years+++ of oil reserves in the North sea and even more in the Barents sea
smile.gif

Do we really have to go through these confessions every three months?
Personally, I buy my oil at WM when I need it. Since WM screws the manufacturer to make themselves more money, and I reluctantly (but confidently, thanks to BITOG) have switched to M1, I relish the irony of WM screwing Mobil at my behest. Then I don't go back to WM for another year.

If I find a good deal, I'll pickup a few here and there. I'm up to about 80 quarts of syn for 6 vehicles right now. My latest buy was 5 quarts of M1 5w-20 and the M1 extended performance filter for $30 earlier today and 20 quarts of Redline 5w-20 via internet about 2 weeks ago. My Pepboys buy3get3 stash from last year was getting low.

I don't tie my money up in oil. Sure prices of oil go up, but I'd rather grow my capital in other more flexable ways.

I also agree with Tosh - so many threads are over and over and over. Next time, do a search and just add your post to that.

If I hit a good deal, I may pickup a few cases. Otherwise, it is buy when I need it. Of course one of the reasons why I stick to Pennzoil is that I can always find it. Paying for it is increasingly difficult. I am even revisiting the economics of synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Do we really have to go through these confessions every three months?
Personally, I buy my oil at WM when I need it. Since WM screws the manufacturer to make themselves more money, and I reluctantly (but confidently, thanks to BITOG) have switched to M1, I relish the irony of WM screwing Mobil at my behest. Then I don't go back to WM for another year.

Yes, we must go through these confessions every few months. Confession is good for the soul and for oil hoarders (aka oil whores).

I got 181 quarts, but I like to keep them all boxed up and stacked nice and neat.

If I was to take them all out and display them the way some of you guys do, my wife would kill me.

I have an odd little stash of around 100 qts. of various odd oils. Not pictured is my BigLots CD-2 collection plus the several quarts of free Castrol Syntec gear oil Wal-Mart gave me.

-

I actually used to hoard oils. In FIFO basis, thousands of gallons, mostly in 55gal drums, I used to check the spillage and watertightness every day when I was the oil station resposible in the army. Now here I am, with some 6.2 liters of spare, I feel as light as a butterfly.

I think some of you guys may really be squirrels. Check for fluffy tails!
tongue.gif

I keep usually 1 qt extra in my trunk -- that's my whole stash!

I don't hoard, at least not by BITOG standards. The most oil I have had at once was 13 quarts of Motorcraft 5W30 (1 case + 1 bottle). Right now I have six quarts of Motorcraft 5W30 and most of a bottle of Super Tech gear oil.

with 170+ qts of M1 - 50+ FL400s Motorcraft filters - 17 air filters - 10 155R80-13 Goodyear Viva11 tires - 5gals Lucas UCL - 1 extra 01 Suzuki Swift along with the 98 that is my driver - with all of this, I think I am in the "hoarder" catagory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back