Are WIX (NAPA) oil filters any good? For Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a great deal on WIX oil filters. After I shared my findings to my audi forums friends, nothing but disgust was posted about WIX filters.

I did my own research on these and found them to be highly recommended. But a highly recognized member just said nothing but bad things about them. This is of concern.

What are your thoughts?

I usually use MANN oil filter for my audi a6 2.8 v6 (wix 51355)
I also bought some WIX for a new to me 07 infiniti m35(wix 51358)

In the infiniti community, mann filters were not spoken of. And wix came recommended.

In the audi community, MANN came highly recommended and WIX as a comparable to MANN.

Are the wix that bad? Should I cancel my order?

Wix filters generally have pretty good reputation. But unless you can get them for significantly less than OEM Mann, I wouldn't bother.

I have gotten them for half price of MANN. I bought maybe 2 years of supply.

For the german car stick with Mann, Mahle/Knecht, Hengst. If you get a dealer filter, it will probably have logos from one of these makes on it.

The hate you got about the Wix is probably unreasonable. But as stated why bother?

The japan cars are a different situation, different crowd. OE is probably not as good as the germans so there's a bit of room for improvement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: audia6
I have gotten them for half price of MANN. I bought maybe 2 years of supply.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd go ahead and use them.

For me, a 2-year supply would be 2 filters.
smile.gif

Wix/NAPA Gold are among the best non-synthetic-media filters available.

The Audi forum guy is FOS. Nothing is wrong with Mann or Mahle, but just because it is a German brand doesn't make it better for a German car.

They meet Audi's high bypass specs.

The M1-204, which has a 12 psi bypass, is spec'd for my dads Audi. The WIX (and Oreilly MG) filters are around 33-35 psi just like the OEM Mann.

I only used two OEM Honda Blue painted FRAMs on my Honda Fit, and in 5 years the rest have been exclusively WIX.

If the WIX works well on a tiny Honda Fit with a small engine without making any weird noises etc, I think they should work well on most cars.

I really like them BTW. Lots of confidence in them, and they are really well made and cheap to buy for me with a Silicone ADBV as well for my cold Winters.

Originally Posted By: audia6

I did my own research on these and found them to be highly recommended. But a highly recognized member just said nothing but bad things about them. This is of concern.

What did he say, exactly?

I did use Wix on my Audi, but not as my normal choice. The various OEM types (i.e. German Bosch, Mann, Mahle, Hengst) were all available for about half the price of a Wix. Obviously, that's application dependent, since the Wix for my F-150 is substantially cheaper than an FL-1A.

I think Wix does a better job than the typical commercial filter manufacturers in designing/selecting their filters for specific applications.

It's not just about if the threads are correct and the bypass is close to the OEM pressure.

I would include Baldwin/Hastings (Clarcor) high on that list too with FRAM and Purolator (not a Mann in a Purolator box) down at the bottom.

So yes I would trust the Wix on an Audi.

Didn't I read somewhere here on BITOG recently that Wix filters, by their own admission on their own website, have pretty lame filtration ability compared to either Fram or Purolator?

I just remember somebody (Zeeosix?) calculated the filtration based on Wix's own data and it's nowhere near their competitors performance.

Does anyone else remember this?

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Didn't I read somewhere here on BITOG recently that Wix filters, by their own admission on their own website, have pretty lame filtration ability compared to either Fram or Purolator?

I just remember somebody (Zeeosix?) calculated the filtration based on Wix's own data and it's nowhere near their competitors performance.

Does anyone else remember this?

Ed

Wix XP and NAPA Platinum are the full synthetic oil filters to avoid, if you care about filtration. They don't come close to what Fram Ultra, Puro Synthetic, Royal Purple oil filters can do. It is a mystery why Wix puts up with this.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Someone already answered most of this. However, for an Audi, one isn't going to be finding a Purolator Classic or a P1, anyhow. That application would be covered by the made in Germany Bosch or the real-deal Mann, with significantly different construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back