Are we Underutilizing Mobil 1 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Best F100
Wow. No need to come across as pompous here - unless you are an ExxonMobil engineer with something new to tell the rest of us something we don't already know. For someone who "likes seeing vehicles go over 300,000 miles" it sure doesn't sound like it - if it wasn't done your way. Even a professional bass fisherman on the pro bass tour, would take notice and have more respect when amateurs on occasions out fish them. Believe it or not, it happens. The obvious question to ask, is how did you get to 300,000 miles, not scoff at his methods of "blind luck". For full disclosure, please tell the rest of us Bitogers what vehicles you have taken over 300,000 miles - and how you did it. ....................................................................... Crickets.

Nothing pompous intended or inferred--just cold hard facts and "my way" has nothing to do with it. I stand by what I said because it is obvious this person is stating opinions as facts--case in point is regular M1 and M1EP being the exact same oil, that is easily proven otherwise.

For the record--not that I need to justify anything, I have taken 3 vehicles in my life to over 300K--a 1979 Pontiac Trans AM (about 320K), a 1992 Toyota Celica (about 370K), and a 1999 Ford F-150 (about 340K). All of them ran when I sold them and none of them were using excessive oil. There was no special tactics involved, just religious maintenance--which is what any engine requires to run that long provided there is not a design flaw. A gasoline engine making it to over 300K on 30K OCIs is not a normal occurrence--in fact, how many have you seen or read about aside from this one?

Spot on, FX4.

M1 10w30 may be able to make 30K under specific sets of circumstances with good UOA, but how would we know without doing UOA trending?

And of course the statement that EP is the same as regular M1 can be easily disproved.

This "information" about M1 10w30 doesn't pass the smell test.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

You are the messenger so you have to read this via proxy. I like seeing vehicles make it above 300K, it lends credence to the fact that we are finally getting our money out of modern vehicles. Do I think his “recipe” is a sound one? Not in the slightest.

I am too hard on the guy? Well, welcome to BITOG and Reality Check 101 and allow me to remove the sugar coating:

1. While he may not be able to prove that M1 and M1EP are not the same, it is quite easy to do via UOAs, VOAs, and MSDS. The chemical composition is not the same and you can see it for yourself—he should take a moment to read about it and educate himself. However, I take it based upon his certainty that he is beyond using facts to form decisions.

2. He is using “arm chair engineering” to make decisions on how far to drive without facing dire consequences whereas I have statistical data to make mine—hardly the same. I did not blindly increase to a 15K OCI and will not do it to a 20K OCI either. Unless he has some data to share, he is using opinion, gut feel, and seat of the pants intuition to make his.

3. We will have to see if I make it to 350K, but I have no doubt that I will based upon the trending that I have to date. There is simply too much evidence to the contrary in the fleets today to believe otherwise.

4. I did not miss the point in the slightest. The point was that he inferred that he has made it to 350K because he is using 10W-30. I say that he could have made there on 5W-20 just as Ford specified--I will take Ford engineering over his opinion any day of the week and his “results”. These “facts” that xW-20 is only as good as the CAFE regulation that it was built around is complete and utter rubbish. After more than a decade of xW-20 in widespread use we should be able to put that to rest.

5. His Focus was also built with Job1 and is Ford Tough just as my FX4 is—so your statement does not scan logically. However, the difference is that I actually trust that Ford knows what they are talking about when they specify something and do not arm chair engineer something that I contrive to be a better solution. Ford spends millions of dollars and hours testing and certifying their products—they do not lightly specify a grade of oil unless they know it will work.

6. His is not in uncharted territory in the slightest. There are far too many similar cars like Hondas and Toyotas as well as the Ford which are specified for and are using xW-20 as the oil that have more miles than his does. A strawman argument? Perhaps, but facts are facts no matter and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back up what I am saying.

7. I believe that it is a matter of blind luck that he has accomplished what he has thus far. I question how much make-up oil that he is using to replenish the TBN such that it remains viable. I will bet you a steak dinner that he is not doing a 30K OCI with no make-up oil.

8. Last, but not least, the main problem that I have with people like New Mexico is they spew their bovine scatology laced screeds as fact and gospel and some uninformed person reads it and proceeds to follow it and ruins an engine. Far better it would be for him to place a disclaimer upon his posts to initiate the uniformed that he is stating an opinion—but rarely if ever do those persons do that for it would deflate the overall perception they have.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
5. His Focus was also built with Job1 and is Ford Tough just as my FX4 is

I work on lots of F-150s and Ford products in general.

The F-150 is their core product, arguably the best full size truck on the market, only the Silverado/Sierra really competes with it. The profit margin on the Ford full size truck line is considerable, and the budget for R&D is unfathomable.

As far as the Ford Company is considered, the Focus is an also-ran. In my opinion it is much better than GM's and FCA's competing cars, but it has a relatively small R&D budget and suffers greatly from the GM/Ford "bigger-is-better-next-time-buy-a-full-size-truck-and-you-won't-be-sorry" attitude.

The region I work in is full of potholes, speed bumps and drunk drivers, so we see bent rims here on a daily basis. Disproportionately, by far the four models of cars that have the most bent and worst bent rims are: Ford Fiesta; Ford Ikon; Ford Ka; and Ford Focus. This applies to both factory steel and factory aluminum rims on these cars.

10w30 M1 used to be lighter (@100) than 5w30 M1.

I used it in my Mazda for years and years. Original clutch lasted until I junked the car at 34x,xxx miles. That there M1 10w30 is magical.

wink.gif

I moved on to FAR better oils (as in Free After Rebate)
laugh.gif

His opinions show just how wrong a person can be and still enjoy reliability from a vehicle. We already know from pour points, MSDS, and VOA's that he is wrong on the EP versus AFE point. Take a look at the PQI test results and the VOA forum section for the real data.

The fact is, if you want the most miles out of a car, buy it new or nearly and drive it on the highway constantly. If the transmission rarely has to shift, the engine is always warm, condensation is never a problem, etc., it's no wonder it lasts long.

I've known high mileage drivers before and some of them think they're absolute geniuses for getting over 200K or 300K out of a car. In fact they are wasting their life behind the wheel when they could be doing something useful.

I use synthetic 10W-30 in my lawn mower.

I run it for extended OCI's, sometimes even 1 1/2 mowing seasons.

I'm currently running NAPA (Valvoline) synthetic but thanks to some recent oil deals, Castrol Gold bottle synthetic is going in the Kohler next.

I'll save the M1 15W-50 for use in the hydraulic system on my Exmark.

M1 is a good product...doesn't matter whether it is AFE or the 10w30...In the right conditions, it's going to work for you. The care of the care is much more important than the grade of oil at that point...

It's like trying to compare what Spice Girl is the best looking...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: HangFire
His opinions show just how wrong a person can be and still enjoy reliability from a vehicle. We already know from pour points, MSDS, and VOA's that he is wrong on the EP versus AFE point. Take a look at the PQI test results and the VOA forum section for the real data.

The fact is, if you want the most miles out of a car, buy it new or nearly and drive it on the highway constantly. If the transmission rarely has to shift, the engine is always warm, condensation is never a problem, etc., it's no wonder it lasts long.

I've known high mileage drivers before and some of them think they're absolute geniuses for getting over 200K or 300K out of a car. In fact they are wasting their life behind the wheel when they could be doing something useful.

Yep, and I guess that could ring true for one of our local part places, which run used early 00s Cavaliers in mostly city stop and go driving. All are over 100k, and a few over 200k-and still going!

They just change the oil in these suckers and they go...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back