Are we really accomplishing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil used for our french fries will probably have a greater effect on us that what we put in our cars--IMHO.

I figured that I would get this kind of response. Widely varied. I guess the point of my original post was, is anybodies car lasting longer as a result of this board. Rather than just saying doing regular maintenance at the normal 3k interval with SL dino juice?

For those naysayers out there. The car passes emissions tests. It also runs good. It doesn't blow blue smoke and it doesn't burn oil.

My car's engine is cleaner, and running cooler & smoother since I found this site 3weeks ago!

[ April 03, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: uconn1150 ]

I'm going to add another bit of data into this.

Before I found this site I had no idea what was going on inside my engine. After my first oil analysis, it was obvious my engine had some serious issues, as a short 2300 mile interval showed 19ppm of lead and 15ppm of iron! Scary! I started using Auto-rx and since then my results have been considerably better. Had I stuck with what I was doing, my engine would've certainly died an early death.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Had I stuck with what I was doing, my engine would've certainly died an early death.

Well, you really don't know that do you? We all assume so but without real life tests we do not know if it would have died an earlier death (before the body or transmission did) or if the body would have fallen off just before the engine died due to the higher lead and iron levels in the analysis.

We simply don't know!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The reasons for using synthetic IMO are simple:

Cold weather protection
Better protection for performace cars (Engine revs)
Keeping wear numbers at lowest possible
Towing boats etc.
Keeping engines clean
EXTENDING DRAINS.

I think these are great reasons to use synthetic oil.

Well, I agree with you and I have been using M1 for many years in my cars. However, since I've come to this site I have changed my mind about using synthetic oil. Some of the reasons you gave don't apply to me (live in S. Tx, no towing, no extended drains) but I thought using M1 was "better" for the engines and didn't mind paying extra for it. While that may have been true for prior dino oils, the latest SL formulas have significantly narrowed the gap for normal drains. I wish I could see "lower wear numbers" and "cleaner engines" that can be attributed solely to the use of synthetics but I have not seen one report of a gunked up or blown engine running SL oil that was changed regularly. So, if cold start protection and extended drains are not a priority, what else is the advantage of synthetics?

Yea,my wife looks at me like I'm seriously CRAZY,when I mention....anything, about OIL! So, I just show her!Told her once I find the holy answers to these questions, I'll shut-up, really
Ron
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Had I stuck with what I was doing, my engine would've certainly died an early death.

Well, you really don't know that do you? We all assume so but without real life tests we do not know if it would have died an earlier death (before the body or transmission did) or if the body would have fallen off just before the engine died due to the higher lead and iron levels in the analysis.

We simply don't know!

Let me rephrase it then. It would've died an earlier death than it will now. Whether or not I still own the car when this engine dies, that remains to be seen.
smile.gif

I'll tell you what we are accomplishing: We are boring the sh*t out of our wives, girlfriends, family and friends when we try to explain all the good stuff we have learned on this site!!!
wink.gif
grin.gif

Are we accomplishing anything? Sure!

Besides establishing and dispelling myths, discounting experience ...and bolstering it, and destroying and creating right, and wrong, schools of thought ..... we're doing what we do best.

..things along the lines of re-inventing the wheel .. ...there has to be a better way.

For where would we be as a species if we had never explored the unknown of rolling that first log instead of dragging it?

I'm just greatful that this is not a vitamin message board
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pluto5:
The oil used for our french fries will probably have a greater effect on us that what we put in our cars--IMHO.

Shoot, french fries, themselves, will probably have a greater effect on us than what we put in our cars...

Yes I am DEFINITELY accomplishing something...

Instead of falling asleep I am at least partially mentally engaged while at work.

Seriously...I have learned about Auto-Rx and Schaeffer Neutra (and lube control, but haven't used it). My engines are now cleaner. I now realize that I don't need to run synthetic oil to keep my engines clean. I will probably avoid a seal problem in my '95 Windstar and not worry about sludge in my Camry.

I was also introduced to oil analysis and found coolant in my oil. That lead to fixing the problem before major damage occured. Based on analysis I have extended my drains to 5-6,000 miles.

Funny that french fries topic came up...
I THINK it's at Queens University in Kingston, On,
some engineering students are collecting all the fry oil frome the cafeteria (and from other restaurants) and processing it to a kind of diesel fuel, and are using it all the campus lawn equipment.. exhaust smells like a french fry/eggroll..
gr_stretch.gif

It was on Discovery a while ago.
Jean

[ April 06, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

As far as acomplishing anything..
I must say I have learned a great deal here.
It comfirms that I am an oil geek and I am driving my wife and neighbours crazy...I usually dont participate as much as I would like, simply because I dont have the background like some of my esteemed colleges here.
So, for me synthetics is a small price for extra protection - even at 5000km int -
Its about the few remaning things I can still do on my cars.
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back