Are we okay with the $5 filter?

Most of the name brand $5 filters seem to be as good as most OEM filters on cut open. I go for something better these days, but many cars have gone to 300,000 miles on OEM filters.

Hi Tom,
I just completed the oil filter comparison below last week on the oil filter for my 2021 Subaru Forester. To answer your question you'll get a very good low priced filter with the Fram Extra Guard and Purolator Classic. In the $7.00 range I use the Fram Tough Guards and Purolator Ones for the following reasons:
1. 99% efficiency at 20 microns
2. Silicon anti drainback valves
3. 15,000 mile life
4. Made in the USA

They are a great value and excellent filters. Hope this helps with your shopping.

View attachment 139136

For 7500 mile OCI I would probably get something better than the OCOD simply to have metal end caps. Personal opinion. Fiber end cap failure is likely very, very rare anyway. I stopped using wix for reference - but that is a different thread.

My 86 year old father has used the OCOD as long as I can remember, but he still changes every 3-4K miles and uses whatever oil he can get a Walmart the cheapest. Still does it himself. He has never had a lubrication related problem best I remember and keeps his cars forever.

My comment on the speedy lube filter is the OCOD is likely better than all the speedy lube filters on the road, and a lot of people go that route and you still don't hear about too many failures due to lubrication - again if the oil gets changed.

We likely way overthink this here - present company included.
I used to think metal end caps were better, and "cardboard" end caps were cheap. Then I cut open a few Motorcraft filters where the metal end caps fell right off the filter element because the glue was not applied properly. The Frams I cut open I noticed the fiber end caps seemed to hold on nice and strong. Not saying one is better than the other, or that it would even matter if the filter wasn't cut open, but it seems like no matter what the actual construction of the filter is better than particular materials used.

I used to think metal end caps were better, and "cardboard" end caps were cheap. Then I cut open a few Motorcraft filters where the metal end caps fell right off the filter element because the glue was not applied properly. The Frams I cut open I noticed the fiber end caps seemed to hold on nice and strong. Not saying one is better than the other, or that it would even matter if the filter wasn't cut open, but it seems like no matter what the actual construction of the filter is better than particular materials used.
My father is 86 and has been using the OCOD forever. He hasn't had an oil related problem, so it likely makes little if any difference.

However if the fiber end caps stick to the filter better then why does Fram use metal on the ultra - which is there longest OCI rated filter. Pay attention to what I do, not what I say.

If the metal end caps are falling off, there not being cured properly. There is no reason with modern adhesives for either to fall apart. The bigger issue is usually too much glue everywhere. I have also seen youtube videos of the fiber end caps peeling off after use as well. How true is youtube - who knows.

Honestly, its an academic argument that likely doesn't matter.

My father is 86 and has been using the OCOD forever. He hasn't had an oil related problem, so it likely makes little if any difference.

However if the fiber end caps stick to the filter better then why does Fram use metal on the ultra - which is there longest OCI rated filter. Pay attention to what I do, not what I say.

If the metal end caps are falling off, there not being cured properly. There is no reason with modern adhesives for either to fall apart. The bigger issue is usually too much glue everywhere. I have also seen youtube videos of the fiber end caps peeling off after use as well. How true is youtube - who knows.

Honestly, its an academic argument that likely doesn't matter.
Because of the media. Pay attention to the specifics of the technology.

I too much prefer the other types of caps, or no cap at all. We haven't seen those fail yet.

I think your money is better spent on more frequent changes with a cheap filter and cheap synthetic oil that meets spec. I would rather a short interval with that than a long 15K interval with some extended life filter and oil.

Because of the media. Pay attention to the specifics of the technology.

I too much prefer the other types of caps, or no cap at all. We haven't seen those fail yet.
From earlier post in this thread. The TG uses also a synthetic media, and has the same micron rating as the ultra. But the TG still uses a fiber end cap IIRC. Is there something specific about the double layer media in the Ultra that won't work with the glue they use for the TG?

1675789899848.jpg

Yes, in the past a blend did not need a metal end cap. I would guess that since the new Ultra is not a blend but a composite/dual layer it still needs the metal cap.

As former member Motorking explained, the metal cap is really only there to hold the potting compound. It doesn't in and of itself really make a better filter except when the media dictates its use.

Last edited:
Back