Are we okay with the $5 filter?

I’m ok with a $2 MIC filter, as long as one knows it’s only safe to assume 5k FCIs. I’ve used a couple and cut several Prime Guards and they look at least as good as the $8 M&Hs. Then it comes down to media ratings.

That said, because they 'look' similar seems an oft repeated and common misconception.
I agree. Until someone posts a picture from inside a Fram factory showing "Honda" filters, it's all speculation.

My dad has been using the orange can for as long as I can remember without issue. He does short OCI so really shouldn't be a surprise.

The only thing about the orange can that would give me pause would be the fiber end caps - but again, for a short OCI there seems to be no problem.

I choose to run something better however, given you can get a better rated filter for $8 - $10. There still likely better than most speedy lube filters.

My dad has been using the orange can for as long as I can remember without issue. He does short OCI so really shouldn't be a surprise.

The only thing about the orange can that would give me pause would be the fiber end caps - but again, for a short OCI there seems to be no problem.

I choose to run something better however, given you can get a better rated filter for $8 - $10. There still likely better than most speedy lube filters.
Speedy lube is not really in the picture. I can't tell whether you are suggesting coughing up $10 for the WIX filter, or being happy with the $5 OCOD. My current stash of oil includes Quaker State 0 W 20 full syn and Castrol GTX full syn. I have used the Mobil one AFE product in the past, but won't buy at current prices. On the 2.4, planning 7,500 OCI and on the J30, going to around 20% on maintenance minder.

Speedy lube is not really in the picture. I can't tell whether you are suggesting coughing up $10 for the WIX filter, or being happy with the $5 OCOD. My current stash of oil includes Quaker State 0 W 20 full syn and Castrol GTX full syn. I have used the Mobil one AFE product in the past, but won't buy at current prices. On the 2.4, planning 7,500 OCI and on the J30, going to around 20% on maintenance minder.
For 7500 mile OCI I would probably get something better than the OCOD simply to have metal end caps. Personal opinion. Fiber end cap failure is likely very, very rare anyway. I stopped using wix for reference - but that is a different thread.

My 86 year old father has used the OCOD as long as I can remember, but he still changes every 3-4K miles and uses whatever oil he can get a Walmart the cheapest. Still does it himself. He has never had a lubrication related problem best I remember and keeps his cars forever.

My comment on the speedy lube filter is the OCOD is likely better than all the speedy lube filters on the road, and a lot of people go that route and you still don't hear about too many failures due to lubrication - again if the oil gets changed.

We likely way overthink this here - present company included.

My J30 Accord has made it to over 270 with a mix of filters. Everything from the factory size, to the slightly larger 3593A size, to the big 3950 size. I don't think I've ever used a Fram, but I know there are plenty of Supertech, Purolators, and Wix in there. I'm currently using Champion CO3593A's (I think that's the part number, would have to look) in both Honda cars. 5-7500 mile OCI's. It's just not something I fret over. I pick what should be a good filter, find a deal, and order 12 of them. When those are done I look for the next thing.

Pretty sure the only OEM filter that has been on that car is the one that came on it. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure it never went back to the dealer for an oil change, unless they did one with the first timing belt.

My J30 Accord has made it to over 270 with a mix of filters. Everything from the factory size, to the slightly larger 3593A size, to the big 3950 size. I don't think I've ever used a Fram, but I know there are plenty of Supertech, Purolators, and Wix in there. I'm currently using Champion CO3593A's (I think that's the part number, would have to look) in both Honda cars. 5-7500 mile OCI's. It's just not something I fret over. I pick what should be a good filter, find a deal, and order 12 of them. When those are done I look for the next thing.

Pretty sure the only OEM filter that has been on that car is the one that came on it. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure it never went back to the dealer for an oil change, unless they did one with the first timing belt.
No argument. You have two Honda V6 products, one approaching 200k, the other a stone's throw from 300K. You are not particular on oil filters, so that's a sign that this is not that important, and yet, you seem to be saying you have never used a Fram filter in 445 k miles, in maybe 70 oil changes. That suggests to me that you were staying away from them!

No argument. You have two Honda V6 products, one approaching 200k, the other a stone's throw from 300K. You are not particular on oil filters, so that's a sign that this is not that important, and yet, you seem to be saying you have never used a Fram filter in 445 k miles, in maybe 70 oil changes. That suggests to me that you were staying away from them!
That's accurate. I'm not paying for the upper end ones and I don't like the cardboard end caps of the orange ones.

Would they have worked fine? I'm sure they would have, its just a personal preference.

Looking back through my records on the Accord, the most used filter were various versions of a Supertech (3950 and 3593A sizes). Second was a batch of 'Partsmaster' 61334 (Wix Made). There's a few Bosch filters in there, an STP 2808.

I'd have to take a closer look, but I don't think I've ever used the factory sized filter. Everything has always been a larger version.

That's accurate. I'm not paying for the upper end ones and I don't like the cardboard end caps of the orange ones.

Would they have worked fine? I'm sure they would have, its just a personal preference.

Looking back through my records on the Accord, the most used filter were various versions of a Supertech (3950 and 3593A sizes).
SuperTechs how long ago? The SuperTech filters at one time did not have metal end caps.

Your air filter and OCI will be more important than what Oil Filter you are using. Cheap oil filter needs to be changed at 5000 miles, expensive oil filter is a different story.
I am a loyal Amsoil user, including their filters, and I NEVER change oil prior to 15K, so I change oil one third as much as those who do 5K oil changes. FWIW, Amsoil sells Wix air filters on their site. Even if I spend more money than 3 cheapo oil changes, I'm still under the vehicle one third as much. Sounds good to me. I buy cars to drive, not work on. Time under the car is a necessary evil; I really don't like it, but I trust no one else under MY cars, I care more than they do. Maybe it's not my living, but it enables my livelihood. Rant over.

Looking back through my records on the Accord, the most used filter were various versions of a Supertech (3950 and 3593A sizes). Second was a batch of 'Partsmaster' 61334 (Wix Made). There's a few Bosch filters in there, an STP 2808.

I'd have to take a closer look, but I don't think I've ever used the factory sized filter. Everything has always been a larger version.
All good, but not sure that I will be jumping on the larger filter bandwagon, although I get the logic!

If you shop at Napa then look at the Full filter, less then $7 and made at the Same Thailand factory that make the Toyota Denso filters.

I recently purchased two filters for two honda products - one for the ubiquitous 2.4 and one for a J30. I live in the utopia where these two dissimilar engines actually use the same filter. My preference is WIX white can, and I bought one filter for $9.42, Prime, free delivery. When I looked around when I bought a second filter, a Fram Extra Guard, for $4.12. Am I in a safe place buying the $5 filter, or should I try not to Scrooge out, and buy the WIX approx. $10 filter. I suppose I am a bit of a WIX fanboi, but feel a responsibility to watch every penny. Anyone else feel the pain, any advice?

Hi Tom,
I just completed the oil filter comparison below last week on the oil filter for my 2021 Subaru Forester. To answer your question you'll get a very good low priced filter with the Fram Extra Guard and Purolator Classic. In the $7.00 range I use the Fram Tough Guards and Purolator Ones for the following reasons:
1. 99% efficiency at 20 microns
2. Silicon anti drainback valves
3. 15,000 mile life
4. Made in the USA

They are a great value and excellent filters. Hope this helps with your shopping.

1675691757588.jpg

Hi Tom,
I just completed the oil filter comparison below last week on the oil filter for my 2021 Subaru Forester. To answer your question you'll get a very good low priced filter with the Fram Extra Guard and Purolator Classic. In the $7.00 range I use the Fram Tough Guards and Purolator Ones for the following reasons:
1. 99% efficiency at 20 microns
2. Silicon anti drainback valves
3. 15,000 mile life
4. Made in the USA

They are a great value and excellent filters. Hope this helps with your shopping.

View attachment 139136
Thank you very much for sharing. My initial reaction is that there is no wrong answer here at all, but that Fram makes a great case for themselves, even at the Extra Guard level. I'll go no more than 7,500 miles on an oil/filter change, so maybe will be a Fram regular... unless I see huge deals on Wix filters.

Back