Are we okay with the $5 filter?

I recently purchased two filters for two honda products - one for the ubiquitous 2.4 and one for a J30. I live in the utopia where these two dissimilar engines actually use the same filter. My preference is WIX white can, and I bought one filter for $9.42, Prime, free delivery. When I looked around when I bought a second filter, a Fram Extra Guard, for $4.12. Am I in a safe place buying the $5 filter, or should I try not to Scrooge out, and buy the WIX approx. $10 filter. I suppose I am a bit of a WIX fanboi, but feel a responsibility to watch every penny. Anyone else feel the pain, any advice?

My Champ XL filters on RA were like $4 on RA so yeah, we are, in that case. But if you're going to cheap out cheap out then it doesn't really matter.

I'm just fine with 5 dollar filters. I just paid 14.62 for a NAPA gold 1516 from my local mom & pop NAPA dealer, last time I'll ever buy a filter from there. I was doing the seasonal change on my Ferris lawn mower, it had an FL400s filter on it (5 bucks or less) but I forgot to buy a new one. I'll wait to do the oil change next time, not paying 15 bucks for a filter again.

7617, no? Think that’s what I installed yesterday on our odyssey…

I use a fram ultra and use it two OCIs.
Neg. 7317.

I have bought many of SuperTech oil filters over the years at less than 5 bucks. Not one negative issue yet with them. Actually next up on Acura in signature is a SuperTech MP7317 rated for 20,000 miles at less than 6 bucks.

I've cut open a decent number of filters, on everything from lawn mowers to diesel engines to cars. I think the only real benefit you see with a "better", more expensive filter is if you run it long enough to take advantage of its efficiency. If you run Fram XGs for short intervals, you really aren't getting your moneys worth. Like others have stated, I've seen vehicles with 300k on them that have just had whatever quick lube filter is available screwed on. My initial reasoning for buying "better" filters was I could tell a difference in startup noise with a silicone vs. nitrile ADBV on some filters in cold weather, and most cheap filters had a nitrile valve. That isn't the case anymore with most of the Supertech MP and Fram extra guards. Some of the newer Purolators also have silicone ADBVs according to posters on here, I just haven't seen one yet.

With that said, I think the Fram extra guard with the silicone valve is perfect for any OCIs under 10k miles really, and I'm sure the other filters are as well. Not to mention that Wix has been producing some filters in China and the quality has slipped, so you can't necessarily count on a more expensive filter being "better" these days.

I have used Fram ExtraGuards off and on for many years and never had a problem, even back in the day when they were referred to as OCOD.

I recently purchased two filters for two honda products - one for the ubiquitous 2.4 and one for a J30. I live in the utopia where these two dissimilar engines actually use the same filter. My preference is WIX white can, and I bought one filter for $9.42, Prime, free delivery. When I looked around when I bought a second filter, a Fram Extra Guard, for $4.12. Am I in a safe place buying the $5 filter, or should I try not to Scrooge out, and buy the WIX approx. $10 filter. I suppose I am a bit of a WIX fanboi, but feel a responsibility to watch every penny. Anyone else feel the pain, any advice?

Your air filter and OCI will be more important than what Oil Filter you are using. Cheap oil filter needs to be changed at 5000 miles, expensive oil filter is a different story.

......The Fram PH7317 is basically an A02. Fram is Honda's OE supplier.
While construction is similar, best information says when it comes to efficiency, not in the same ball park. The A02 is made by Fram to Honda specs, the Fram to their specs. The latter significantly more efficient. That said, because they 'look' similar seems an oft repeated and common misconception.

Last edited:
Back