Are we all supposed to be using High Mileage Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your car or truck has 75,000 plus miles, you're suppose to be using high mileage oil. You want to use this oil because you need the special seal conditioners and detergents for a cleaner running engine and added protection. You need this right? If you don't use high mileage oil; you run the risk of having your seals dry out, losing there sealing qualities and attributes. You dont want that happening do you?

Oh and by the way, if you're thinking of using a blend or full synthetic, you must not because you have over 75,000 miles on miles on your car.
nono.gif

GR,

Are you being sarcastic here?
Seriously, the high mileage oils are really just synthtic blends with a slightly raised viscosity. They have esters that will be helpful for your seals, but honestly so do the other synthetic blends. It's 90% marketing bull snort.
I won't criticize you personally here, but I will remark that an entire post based around sarcasm comes across poorly. The post doesn't reflect well on the poster, and there are MUCH more effective ways to get your message across.
If I misread you, my apologies.

Most HM oils are thicker than their "normal" counterparts, so if you want a 30 weight oil that's a 12 cSt@100 instead of 10.8 or whatever, they're a good choice.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
If your car or truck has 75,000 plus miles, you're suppose to be using high mileage oil.

In that case I'm in BIG BIG trouble!
wink.gif

I have twice that and then some and I'm using a blend oil.

Good synthetic oils have seal conditioners built-in.

You do not need high mileage oils beyond 175,000 miles sometimes.

Keep your engine clean/well maintained with a nice synthetic & never have to deal with a HMO for it's entire life. Odds are, living in Michigan, rust will kill it first.

M1 has got me to 188k+ and still going. No oil burning, leaking, etc. I think HM oils help out engines that become "loose" or maybe were not cared for properly. I bought my car with 80k miles and I thought that was "low" mileage.
dunno.gif

That being said I'll happily use my free Maxlife.

quote:

TomJones76,

Seriously, I didn't know HM oils contained synthetic oils. ThankYou for the info.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Oh yeah.
Seriously, pay close attention to the price points, at least some time when oil prices aren't in a state of flux.
The "synthetic blend" oils and the "high mileage" oils are in the same neighborhood; more expensive than name brand conventionals, cheaper than even a cheap Grp III synthetic like Rotella or Supertech Syn.
By the way, when I say "with synthetic in" I mean that the synthetics are blended in in such quantities that they serve as additives, and not so much as lubricants per se. Imagine 5-20% of a given synthetic being added in order enhance the lube.
It may be the case that some oils just use chemical additives in their HM oils, but I'm thinking that every time I worked these oils backwards from their MSDS I came to the conclusion that they used some synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
SNIP
Keep your engine clean/well maintained with a nice synthetic & never have to deal with a HMO for it's entire life. Odds are, living in Michigan, rust will kill it first.

Good thing, too.
If I had to get Kaiser Permanente to approve my car's oil changes, I'd still be running my Sable's 2002 fill of Motorcraft 5W20....
My buddy couldn't get bariatric surgery approved for his 5 foot tall 300 lb wife....

I bought a case of Havoline HM oil from the AAP closeout sale. But I doubt when I use it, I will notice any difference between the HM and regular Havoline.

"My buddy couldn't get bariatric surgery approved for his 5 foot tall 300 lb wife.... "

I hope that was a joke.
confused.gif

a guy at autozone told me, last week, if your car is at or over 100,000 miles then , as a general rule of thumb, step up to a hgh mileage, OR bring your viscosity up. if i am using 5W30, and hit 100,000 miles, then use 10W 30. i used 10W 30 once, mobile clean, car ran like crap. i am at 74,500 miles now, adn car stil runs pretty good, with jsutr regular oil; )

Let's see... I have over 154,000 miles on my car. I've only used 5W30 conventional oil (although the last couple times I took it to the dealer for an oil change, they used a blend). My car doesn't burn or leak any oil. When I check the oil, it's always at or near the full line.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
SNIP

"My buddy couldn't get bariatric surgery approved for his 5 foot tall 300 lb wife.... "

I hope that was a joke.
confused.gif

LT4,

Well, technically, she's 5'3 and 285....
No joke.
"We only cover that as a cure for existing medical conditions besides obesity!"
Apparently asthma and heart problems just don't cut the mustard.... if these guys were any stupider they'd be the guys who cancelled the LT1 Caprice and then the Camaro 9 years later...

Anyway, glad to see some folks learned about the HM oils from this thread.
Amazing how many marketing niches the blenders and marketers have created!

a guy on a neon forum once told me, high mileage oils are really nothing more, than thickened goo. if you look at the oil technical data sheets in the oil forum, the CCS(cold crank simulation) of high mileage oils are thicker, if quaker state is 6,100 CCS, the its high mileage is rated at 7,000. i suppose they do have 'some' more anti leak stuff in them, but cant b aything significantly better. thats my opinion also, its really nothing more, than thickened goop.

quote:

If your car or truck has 75,000 plus miles, you're suppose to be using high mileage oil. You want to use this oil because you need the special seal conditioners and detergents for a cleaner running engine and added protection. You need this right? If you don't use high mileage oil; you run the risk of having your seals dry out, losing there sealing qualities and attributes. You dont want that happening do you?

Oh and by the way, if you're thinking of using a blend or full synthetic, you must not because you have over 75,000 miles on miles on your car.
nono.gif

If you used a quality oil like Mobil 1 this wouldn't have happened to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back