Are VW and Mazda on the upswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by CR94
... 20 year old 200k mile VWs are rare and always have been, they tend to be "retired" when they get 140 to 150k miles or so on them because they turn into money pits that are not economically repairable. ...
My brother's Jetta was running well when retired at about (estimated because the odometer didn't work) 340k miles, because seemingly nobody could fix its wretched shift linkage.

I never said that they are ALL retired by 150k miles. There are exceptions, and your brother is one of them. I reiterate, high mile VWs tend to be rare.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Volkswagen_Jetta.html
By looking at the ratings, one could come to the conclusion that they have gotten a LOT better in recent years, but, like I mentioned above, NOT SO. It is just that in recent years, they are newer, and they are less problematic when they are newer.

Having owned two VAG products ( one for over 10 years ), I'd probably go with the concept that VWs typically have more niggling problems at any mileage range than Asian vehicles.Then and now. In my case, not enough to prevent me from buying it or getting rid of it, but you experience things termed "overengineered' parts with VAG products that you typically don't experience with Asian makes. I think VW reliability numbers reflect that even if the problem involved will never leave you stranded.

I owned a well maintained 2009 Mazda 3 I bought new that had catastrophic engine failure apparently related to a failed VVT actuator at 68K miles...so I'm biased that I doubt Mazdas will be the equivalent of a typical Honda/Toyota but I don't doubt the post-Ford era Mazda products are better. I have a friend who's had ongoing issues with his recent vintage CX-9 so, again, bias comes into play...but on whole, Mazdas don't seem to be the equivalent of Honda/Toyotas on several counts related to ownership data.

I owned a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for over eight years and 158k miles. It had a few issues under warranty but aside from that I really liked it. I had hoped that the rumored 300+ hp AWD Mazdaspeed 3 would appear but it didn't- and so I moved on to my current 2er.

Originally Posted by OhioMazda
VW products really haven't improved much. When they are new they have a quality look and feel with excellent driving dynamics and they have always been pretty good vehicles for the first 5 years or 60k miles, then they go down-hill fast when they get older. VW products have been like that forever. Buyers are aware of this fact, that is why they lengthened their warranty. 20 year old 200k mile VWs are rare and always have been, they tend to be "retired" when they get 140 to 150k miles or so on them because they turn into money pits that are not economically repairable. Getting into bed with Ford isn't going to help either one of them IMO.
Mazda's products have improved noticeably since they got in bed with Toyota, just like Subaru's products did over a decade ago.

This was my experience with my 2002 Passat 1.8T. It was a pretty good car up to the 11 year/95,000 mile mark (although it did leave me stranded a couple times, at 35,000 due to the infamous broken plastic water pump impeller, and another time at early mileage due to failing coils triggering severe miss & flashing CEL). In the last 5 years I'd spent over $10,000 with the top-rated VW mechanic in a major metro area trying to keep the car alive for my teen son's use. I just scrapped it at 126,000 miles because it had a bum fuel pump ($800 repair), and non-diagnose-able coolant leak.

My understanding is that the user experience of these cars is MUCH better in Germany, where they are considered durable vehicles. My local VW mechanic told me the German-market units are much better-made than those sold in the US. Not sure if this is true, but if true, it's no way to build a brand.

I had 2005 B5.5 with 1.8T, and invested ZERO dollars in it. Traded in for 2010 VW CC with 115k or something like that. At 115k car was in mint condition.

My '04 VW was fine. It did need more than my Toyota's have, at any miles. But it was way more fun to drive. I was ok with that tradeoff. At that time, anyhow.

I suspect things have changed since then, so my experience from years ago is probably no longer valid. No one stays the same. Heck look at Dodge today! would not have guessed that 10 let alone 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by edyvw
VW products really haven't improved much. When they are new they have a quality look and feel with excellent driving dynamics and they have always been pretty good vehicles for the first 5 years or 60k miles, then they go down-hill fast when they get older. VW products have been like that forever. Buyers are aware of this fact, that is why they lengthened their warranty. 20 year old 200k mile VWs are rare and always have been, they tend to be "retired" when they get 140 to 150k miles or so on them because they turn into money pits that are not economically repairable. Getting into bed with Ford isn't going to help either one of them IMO.
Mazda's products have improved noticeably since they got in bed with Toyota, just like Subaru's products did over a decade ago.

This was my experience with my 2002 Passat 1.8T. It was a pretty good car up to the 11 year/95,000 mile mark (although it did leave me stranded a couple times, at 35,000 due to the infamous broken plastic water pump impeller, and another time at early mileage due to failing coils triggering severe miss & flashing CEL). In the last 5 years I'd spent over $10,000 with the top-rated VW mechanic in a major metro area trying to keep the car alive for my teen son's use. I just scrapped it at 126,000 miles because it had a bum fuel pump ($800 repair), and non-diagnose-able coolant leak.

My understanding is that the user experience of these cars is MUCH better in Germany, where they are considered durable vehicles. My local VW mechanic told me the German-market units are much better-made than those sold in the US. Not sure if this is true, but if true, it's no way to build a brand.

I had 2005 B5.5 with 1.8T, and invested ZERO dollars in it. Traded in for 2010 VW CC with 115k or something like that. At 115k car was in mint condition.

2005 was the last model year for the B5.5 Passat, so maybe all the bugs were worked out by then, no pun intended.

Originally Posted by edyvw

2005 was the last model year for the B5.5 Passat, so maybe all the bugs were worked out by then, no pun intended.

05 had improved suspension parts, engine had 20hp more (30hp in Audi). That B5.5 was regarded as built as tank vehicle, but B5 generally as a platform was best VW at that time.
They did have issue with sludge because, as usual, VW confusing oil recommendations. I just fed healthy diet of Castrol 0W30 (GC) every 5K. I still regret trading it for transverse CC.

I say yes. Both VW/Audi and Mazda have drastically improved in the last 10 or so years. Mazda's are no longer rust buckets and I see Audi and some VW as recommended used cars on Consumer Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back