Are VW and Mazda on the upswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently perusing the website Dashboard Light and it looked like both of these carmakers' offings have greatly improved in the last 5-10 years. Note in particular the improvement for the VW Passat and Jetta beginning with the 2011-12 model years, and the Mazda 6 beginning in 2009 (but no data on the latest generation), and Mazda 3 beginning in 2014.

Do these improved ratings comport with the experience of BITOG-ers?

VW is all over the place. They do generally improve models and Passat is getting older in generation. The Jetta just changed for 2019.

My wife drives a first year 2018 VW Tiguan and its flawless over 21k. Consumer Reports shows average reliability.

Last edited:
Since their split from Ford, Mazda went through and started fresh on everything. They have been pushing the idea of their vehicles being a class above and that strategy is working. Their tie up with Toyota brings better backing as well.

As already mentioned, despite the bad press and buybacks, Volkswagen Auto Group seems to be moving ahead. I also see plenty of VW vehicles on the road.

Not sure if it helped VW sales overall, but I know I bought mine during the diesel event. May not have considered a GTI if it wasn't for the $6k+ off sticker. Its been a great car for its 25k miles so far. In some ways one of the finer vehicles I've owned. To me its not really "exciting" but it does everything very well. Comfortable, well equipped, powerful, good looking, great fuel economy for its performance.

As for Mazda, I see them everywhere. I really like the CX5. My biggest gripe about the CX5 when I test drove one was the power. It was a bit lacking. They've since added a 2.5 turbo version that should solve that.

My impression is the wild card with VW is more about the dealer than the car.

Get a good dealer and they'll make it a good experience. Get a bad one, and not so much.

Probably have to visit the dealer less often with a Mazda, so they have a head start.

My Mazdas have needed a little more attention than my Toyotas and Nissans. But then I do as much as I can myself, so that's not that big of a deal.

All of them, even my 99 MGM are far better than the 1970s and 1980s cars I've experienced.

I see where VW and Ford are partnering on Vans and EV. Look to see Volkswagen absorb ford for the Truck portion that VW lacks.

VW Jettas were really cheap and have nice interiors. I used to see a TON of 2010-2014 Jetta S 2.0 on co part. I know that it was probably one of the cheaper new cars available at the time, and it's hard to go wrong with a 2.slow and a five speed. Great car and I will probably end up getting one at some point, I could pull mid 30s HWY out of my 2000 Golf 2.0 5 speed easily.

Mazda started with the 3 in 2005 or 2006? Nice interior and cheap so people bought them, but they all rusted away. My friend has a 2010 Mazda 3 and the interior was insane when he got it in 2009. They are similar to Subaru: Cheap car that is made in Japan so must be indestructible because of 90s Toyotas and Hondas.

Nice interior and cheap will sell cars when all cars basically look the same on the outside. VW styling is different than Japanese styling, Japanese compacts look they were all designed by the same studio. VW hasn't embraced the spiky grain of rice look quite yet. I think their styling is a little classier and that can mean a lot for champagne tastes with beer budgets.

VW is also superior to all other car companies.
27.gif

VW repair and maintenance costs have been fairly high compared to US, Korean, and Japanese makes. For example, required auto transmission service ran about $400 for the dual clutch transmission every 60K or so. Suspensions wore out fairly early, especially in areas with bad roads. However, newer VWs now have a luxury make length warranty (6/72) and their design is catching up with market leaders. Their pricing is somewhat high for a mass market brand. Unfortunately VW is weak in trucks, but the Ford partnership should remedy that.

Mazda has always been a well designed make and a bit sportier than their competitors, while maintaining reliability and fuel economy.

Originally Posted by NO2
VW repair and maintenance costs have been fairly high compared to US, Korean, and Japanese makes. For example, required auto transmission service ran about $400 for the dual clutch transmission every 60K or so. Suspensions wore out fairly early, especially in areas with bad roads. However, newer VWs now have a luxury make length warranty (6/72) and their design is catching up with market leaders. Their pricing is somewhat high for a mass market brand. Unfortunately VW is weak in trucks, but the Ford partnership should remedy that.

Mazda has always been a well designed make and a bit sportier than their competitors, while maintaining reliability and fuel economy.

DSG service depends on a dealer. I paid full DSG service $240 in ATL, $220 in San Diego, while in Montgomery, AL VW dealer wanted $500. That was on VW CC that in 106k miles only needed $110 repairs.
Yes DSG is bit expensive to maintain, but do not forget, DSG is not automatic, and it is there for driving experience not to save you a buck.
I have Sienna since September and I spent more money on it than for Tiguan we have since 2013.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty big Mazda fan but I feel like they're trying to become more like Toyota that what they have typically been in the past. Just look at all of the automatic miatas now. They've been promising diesel engines for years yet none are here. They talked about the infotainment being open to app development and yet nothing has been developed save for a couple people on YouTube writing simple apps.

VW? Eh. The only reason I ever wanted a VW was for a diesel manual Passat and that dream is gone. I would have put up with their bland interiors for that. But since I can't have it I cant buy one

I briefly owned a 2017 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring AWD, and I do think Mazda is a step or two ahead with their styling. Best looking in its segment, IMO. Unique "Ceramic White" paint changed colors depending on sun or clouds, and a fantastic interior with the white leather / faux suede and contrasting black and red interior pieces throughout. I was so glad I didn't buy the black interior I had been considering. But the 146 hp 2.0 was sorely lacking. A turbo would've made that car perfect.

CX-3.JPG

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by NO2

DSG service depends on a dealer. I paid full DSG service $240 in ATL, $220 in San Diego, while in Montgomery, AL VW dealer wanted $500. That was on VW CC that in 106k miles only needed $110 repairs.
Yes DSG is bit expensive to maintain, but do not forget, DSG is not automatic, and it is there for driving experience not to save you a buck.
I have Sienna since September and I spent more money on it than for Tiguan we have since 2013.
DSG exists for people who can't put their phone down to shift gears or want something their girl can drive. It's all about market share, just like the CVT in the WRX.

The DSG service cost argument is getting old, especially in a time when most auto transmissions have lifetime fluid. VW's cheapest models are not much more to maintain than other marque's cheapest models. Not every VW has a V10 TDI backed by a DSG.

It seems VW's brand new models have teething issues, but most of the issues get worked out over the model cycle.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by NO2

DSG exists for people who can't put their phone down to shift gears or want something their girl can drive. It's all about market share, just like the CVT in the WRX.

The DSG service cost argument is getting old, especially in a time when most auto transmissions have lifetime fluid. VW's cheapest models are not much more to maintain than other marque's cheapest models. Not every VW has a V10 TDI backed by a DSG.

A. You do know DSG is not automatic.
B. there is no such thing as lifetime fluid.

I've seen a lot more VW's on the road here, primarily the Jetta's. They seem to be really popular.
They are styled well and priced right. Although I can't fit in it comfortably being Torso Tall 6'2"

I wouldn't have an issue with a current VW so long as it isn't a dual clutch transmission. I think their problems were for the most part 98-2008 give or take the odd model here/there outside of that time.
I loved our 86 Cabriolet with mechanical fuel injection. That was a pretty fun car until it was T-Boned while my spouse was driving it.

Mazda I don't see as much other than a ton of their Mazda 3's on the road from various generations. A guy at work drives a Mazda 5 and it has been pretty reliable for him.

Our friends bought a CX-5 recently and are quite happy with it. It's quite smooth/refined from the 10 minutes I spent in it going around the block sort of thing. They have come a long way from the 1980's

Last edited:
A. I do recognize a strawman argument when I see one
B. I never made claims contrary to A or B.

I'm guessing that VW Fanboy Island, wherever that is, has no traffic to speak of. For many drivers who live in areas where traffic is horrendous, owning a manual transmission vehicle becomes a pain in the bum. An automatic is preferred and frankly, having driven both over my driving lifetime I prefer the automatic.

Slogging through 30 miles of stop and go gets tiring, not just on me but the clutch as well. Do that on a regular basis and anyone would switch. Nothing against manual shift, but it's a personal preference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
A. I do recognize a strawman argument when I see one
B. I never made claims contrary to A or B.

You claimed about manufacturers going liftime fluid. I had Passat B5.5 with ZF5 that had lifetime fluid, which ZF claims is not. So while VW or BMW or whatever claim that for example ZF transmission in their cars have lifetime fluid, ZF claims it is not lifetime fluid.
DSG vs. automatic is not strawman argument. There is huge difference between those two. Just because third pedal is not there, that does not mean automatic, hence there are different maintenance requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back