Are those spark plugs worn??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I checked spark plugs today.
They work fine no problem with engine but i couldnot decide the conditions.
So i post photos for advice please!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One has rust and it was a little loose not properly squeezed.
Posted new condition of item to compare.
I cleaned all with sand paper.

20191221_192142.jpg

20191221_145034.jpg

Last edited:
That is not rust, that is exhaust gasses leaking through the plug and burning the porcelain. That first plug looks very worn. Time to replace.

Last edited:
yep those dont owe you anything.. not sure what sellers are available to you at your location, but make sure you dont buy counterfeit spark plugs.. yes its true.. plenty of fakes out there.

Thanks for answers.
Original is single headed car is Hyundai with lpg.
Do double heads have any advantage?

Originally Posted by Umit
Thanks for answers.

The companies selling them will say the dual electrodes provide some advantage, but I am not aware of any evidence to back up that claim. Certainly do not pay extra for such plugs. The best case scenario is they only work as well as the normal design plugs, so paying extra for them is a net loss.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
That is not rust, that is exhaust gasses leaking through the plug and burning the porcelain. That first plug looks very worn. Time to replace.

Or Corona effect deposits....more likely.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Thanks for answers.

The companies selling them will say the dual electrodes provide some advantage, but I am not aware of any evidence to back up that claim. Certainly do not pay extra for such plugs. The best case scenario is they only work as well as the normal design plugs, so paying extra for them is a net loss.

Audi used those type of plugs made by NGK before they started to use platinum tipped plugs.

2 advantages to them.
1) Spreads the wear over 2 ground electrodes
2) Ground electrodes do not quench the flame kernel.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Thanks for answers.

Audi used those type of plugs made by NGK before they started to use platinum tipped plugs.

2 advantages to them.
1) Spreads the wear over 2 ground electrodes
2) Ground electrodes do not quench the flame kernel.

I don't understand how either of those could be true, but it doesn't apply to me or any vehicle I am likely to change the plugs in, so I will just acquiesce and move on.

Thanks,
Nuke

Originally Posted by Chris142
The first one has some oil deposits.

That's probably not oil.. that's more than likely carbon fouling likely from running rich, leaking injector or excessive idling. Oiled plugs usually are going to be black and or wet. See the link below..

These plugs aren't terrible but if you've gotten your mileage out of them I'd replace them. Plugs are relatively cheap and replacement gives you a good bang for your buck ratio. (no pun intended ...€)

https://www.championautoparts.com/P...maintenance/how-to-read-spark-plugs.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Originally Posted by mightymousetech

Or Corona effect deposits....more likely.

Denso explains what it is here👇.. it's neither of the two aforementioned reasons.

https://www.denso.com/global/en/pro...ts-and-accessories/plug/basic/diagnosis/

Last edited:
Well normally cleaning the plugs should make them work better right?
But engine makes hiccups at 1500 rpm on throttle now.
It was much smooter before cleaning also.

The bottom picture seems like it has a cracked insulator near the connection end. This could cause a stumble under load. I would replace them, if possible.

Change them. I pulled 100k plugs out of a impala that looked better and probably ran worse. The burnt ring around the base means nothing btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back