Are these two Zerex Asian the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if there is a difference between these 2? My 100,000 mile maintenance is coming up for my Toyota. I can find the information for the Zerex Asian in the top pic. Even Valvoline's website has it listed.

But I can't find anything for the 1 I saw in Walmart and took pictures of. Nothing really shows up when I search the part number above the bar code in 3rd picture.

According to this thread, all of the long life Asian coolants are essentially identical aside from color(exception being Toyota RED).

Zerex was sold to Ashland(Valvoline)... so I'd have no reservations using either one, or mixing the two myself.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4043051/1

I'll probably buy the Valvoline stuff when it comes time to change the coolant on my Mazda2.

Last edited:
Thank you. I tried searching "zerex" in this sub but nothing came up.

This is good to hear. I will pick up 2 bottles soon.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I was always a fan of prestone but everyone these days like the Zerex better.

When I was looking up coolant a month or two ago, one difference in terms of specs, was that every type of Zerex I looked at had a significantly longer list of ASTM specs that their coolant met (mostly dealing with corrosion), than the Prestone versions did. I don't know how much this would impact a real world scenario, or even if Prestone also met those specs, but the fact that Valvoline put it out there made me opt for their product.

Last edited:
Prestone doesn't make an Asian PHOAT AF as topic'd here and spec'd for Asian vehicles.

They make an all makes universal Dexclone and Dexcool both containing 2eha. No Asian AF's-PHoats use 2eha.

If the OP is looking for the spec'd type AF for his Asian vehicle, either of the topic AFs will fill the bill. The WM Valvoline Asian seems to be less expensive at this point.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I really wish they would make a concentrate. I really don't understand why they don't.

Recochem does
smile.gif

Sold at Pep Boys for about $20/gal

Ford Motorcraft Specialty Green is available concentrated, it is identical to Mazda FL22... Which is same as all the other Asian coolants.

For the cost, the Zerex Asian is still cheapest even though it's diluted(at least as far as what's available locally to me).

http://rallyways.com/specialty/best-miata-coolant/

The article is pretty old, but relates the Mazda to Ford coolant. You can read up and research more if you like. Any of them are fine though.

Last edited:
Motorcraft Specialty Green as noted above, is another Asian PHOAT option, and does come as a concentrate. I usually don't mention it that often now though because last time I priced it at a couple area Ford dealers it was in the ~$34/gal range, too pricey for me. Mazda FL22 is Mazda's own 55/45 premix version.

As also noted above Pep Boys offers OEM Brand Asian AF concentrate for $22/gal in store. Available in four tints to match the oem AF tint. Not a bad price for a concentrate, about equivalent to the topic WM Valvoline Asian premix at $12/gal which is lowest price Asian premix afaik.

HOWEVER noticed this am, right NOW, PepBoys@ebay is offering OEM brand concentrate AF in the Blue or Green tint for $10.79/gal shipping included. The OEM Blue says 71% gone as of this post, matches Honda, Nissan and Subaru(I think) tint. Looks like more of Green left (which matches Hyundai/Kia), but it's the same chemistry. This is one heck of a deal and if I needed AF for an Asian vehicle and/or was thinking of doing a complete system exchange, I'd be all over this deal. Linking the PB@ebay AF page, click on OEM Brand Blue or Green for details. Won't last long. http://stores.ebay.com/Official-Pep-Boys?submit= &_nkw=antifreeze

s-l500.jpg

I have a strong feeling CCI makes this for Ashland - even though Zerex was BASF's North American coolant brand at one point in time(and Ashland still supplies Mercedes, BMW and VW with service coolant, G-05/G-1x/G-48 being BASF products). There's a three-digit code on the lower left corners of the labels, which is consistent with CCI/Old World coolants.

One notable difference is that the Zerex uses benzoate as its organic acid, while Toyota pink uses sebacate. I'd use both with confidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back