Are these tires too dry rotted?

What do the folks here think about these tires? The pictures I posted are the worst sections per tire.

I was hoping to use them till the end of the season, switch to winter tires and get new all seasons next year as part of switching to bigger brakes.

I have a 2,500 miles road trip coming up and wanted to get feedback from folks more experienced on here. I can’t find any spider cracks on the tread block, it’s just on the sidewalls.

111A082D-5C66-4ABC-AFFA-ADB04EBFACCD.jpeg
575182C5-CEA2-4996-A69C-164FBEAD6E97.jpeg
299DA21D-E021-415A-B17A-392138DAEDCA.jpeg
4D6D2681-DACD-44B9-990A-12A13688A3C2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
They're getting close to that time. I'd definitely start looking at tire prices and be prepared. With the Fall season approaching quickly it might be a good time to get a fresh set. That one tire shows 7 years of age and you'd hate to have a sidewall separation at the wrong time (as if there's ever a right time).

How does the tread look? Are these Sumitomo tires (Dunlops)?

Last edited:
If they were mine, I would replace them.

Per that link:

"Tire shine – Products that are applied to the outside of the tire to make them look shiny will dry them out and expedite the dry rotting process".

"Do not use tire shine on your tires, and if tire shine is on them when you purchase your vehicle, wash it off. If your local car wash uses it, you can ask them not to apply it to your tires".

I'm having a hard time buying that. Especially when you read that the bulk of these tire shine products have ingredients in them to prevent dry rot. They provide no information as to the reason not to use these products. Except to tell you the exact opposite of what the products say.

Besides that, there are so many different tire shine products out there, with so many different formulations, there is no way they can accurately make a blanket statement like that. Let alone make it without a detailed explanation as to why.

The cracks look to be cosmetic. You should be fine for the trip. However, they are 5.5 to 7 years old. The rubber has likely hardened. I would start looking for new tires.

They're getting close to that time. I'd definitely start looking at tire prices and be prepared. With the Fall season approaching quickly it might be a good time to get a fresh set. That one tire shows 7 years of age and you'd hate to have a sidewall separation at the wrong time (as if there's ever a right time).

How does the tread look? Are these Sumitomo tires (Dunlops)?
The treads are fine, no spider cracking or any obvious signs of damage. They’re wearing evenly at around 8-8.5/32.
You’re correct, these are indeed Dunlop Grandtrek tires, I didn’t realize they were owned by Sumitomo?

Per that link:

"Tire shine – Products that are applied to the outside of the tire to make them look shiny will dry them out and expedite the dry rotting process".

"Do not use tire shine on your tires, and if tire shine is on them when you purchase your vehicle, wash it off. If your local car wash uses it, you can ask them not to apply it to your tires".

I'm having a hard time buying that. Especially when you read that the bulk of these tire shine products have ingredients in them to prevent dry rot. They provide no information as to the reason not to use these products. Except to tell you the exact opposite of what the products say.

Besides that, there are so many different tire shine products out there, with so many different formulations, there is no way they can accurately make a blanket statement like that. Let alone make it without a detailed explanation as to why.
I was going to say the article seems contrary to what’s on the bottle of tire shine I use - it claims to have ingredients to prevent dry rotting and cracking.

I’ve been using tire wax for 15 and 20 years now, I’ve never lost a tire due to tire shine or even had cracks.

If it were my tires I would run ‘em. I have seen people run far worse and not have issues.

But the age 09/15 and 02/17 they ARE getting there. 7 years is kinda a long time for tires.

The more that I think about it the cracks wouldn’t bother me, they are strictly cosmetic don’t go all the way though the age that would be the concerning factor for me.

I will replace them because of age, not because of the cracks.

I recently added a webpage on tire aging. Barry's Tire Tech: Tire Aging and Weather Cracking

Included is a chart made by Michelin to help guide people as to how bad is BAD!. I disagree with that chart by one step, and I do include a photo of what I consider the borderline.

And those tires are nowhere near that line. There are couple more years left in those!

I recently added a webpage on tire aging. Barry's Tire Tech: Tire Aging and Weather Cracking

Included is a chart made by Michelin to help guide people as to how bad is BAD!. I disagree with that chart by one step, and I do include a photo of what I consider the borderline.

And those tires are nowhere near that line. There are couple more years left in those!
Every time you post, I learn more about tires!

That’s a really detailed website! Thank you for compiling all that information in one place in an easy to read and assimilate manner

You mention "AO's" when you talk about tire dressing. If a dressing has them it prevents cracking. What are, "AO's"?
AO's are antioxidants.

Looks like I need a revision to the webpage so this is clear. If anyone finds anything else unclear, let me know. I try to make this as
correct and as clear as I can, but I don't always succeed. I welcome comments and corrections. Makes for a better website.

You mention "AO's" when you talk about tire dressing. If a dressing has them it prevents cracking. What are, "AO's"?
So apparently not all tire dressings have AOs in the formula and it doesn't really change the aging of the tire but if you're going to use one it might as well have AOs in the mix to slow down the cracking. Good to know.

So apparently not all tire dressings have AOs in the formula and it doesn't really change the aging of the tire but if you're going to use one it might as well have AOs in the mix to slow down the cracking. Good to know.
I agree. But even if you are using one without AO's I don't think it is going to harm anything, or dry the tire out like that link suggested.

But yes, it's much better to select your tire dressing based on it having AO's in it.

Back