Are these Mahle / Nissan filters the same

One is Nissan OEM as purchased from Courtesy parts.

One is Mahle purchased from Rock Bottom.

I realize pics without the plastic would be better but I am not ready to use them so rather keep sealed. Sorry.

There in identical bags, but the Mahle also showed up in a box the OEM one did not - it was loose.

Both have identical number of pleats = 55. Both have identical color gasket material. Both have the "impressions" on each side like it was squeezed in a jig for assembly. One side has 2, the other 3 - and both filters have the identical markings. The screen appears to be the same. Both made in Mexico. Build date is about a year apart which makes sense as I ordered them about a year apart. The printing is definitely different.

Media is slightly different color. Hard to tell on the photo but its clearly different color - one is more yellow.

Thoughts - not that it matters.

FWIW neither are impressive. I had been using wix which looked great, but they got rid of the metal backing. The Denso has metal backing and looks pretty good.

IMG_9318.JPG

IMG_9319.JPG
IMG_9321.JPG
IMG_9322.JPG

What is the price difference between the two? I doubt they're identical but I also can't imagine there being any quality level difference between the two.

What is the price difference between the two? I doubt they're identical but I also can't imagine there being any quality level difference between the two.
The Mahle from Rock Bottom was $15 plus shipping.

The Nissan one was $23 from Courtesy parts - plus shipping. If you walk into the dealer I think there $30.

I was ordering other things from both places so the shipping was a small increment or nothing in my case.

Your right however, the only thing I can think is the media is a little different between the two. Given I have no way to test either in reality - which one is better or worse is likely unknown.

I buy OEM oil filters from Courtesy but I would buy this air filter from Rockauto in this case. Eight dollars is $8.

If you wanted to go Wix again, I have a Wix without metal backing in my car now, and I don’t feel it’s a loss of anything significant. I’ve used plenty of air filters that didn’t have a metal backing and never had an issue.

Back